Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for museums in Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

Old Jan 20, 09, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH & HY

Aviation?
Submarines?
Aircraft Carriers?
Battleships?
Lighthouses?
Space exhibits?
Castles?
Forts?
Old Jan 21, 09, 6:35 am

Lithuania

Hill of the Crosses at Siauliai
Trakai castle
Vilnius castle
Vilnius - secret police headquarters and holding cells in the soviet era - opposite Lithuanian Parliament building in Vilnius
Stalin World - sorry I can't remember the name of the town, about 1.5 hours drive south west of Vilnius ?Drushinskaya or something similar?

Latvia

Rundale Palace - close to the Lithuanian border
Occupation museum in central Riga
Jewish history museum in Riga
Former internment/concentration camp at Salaspils just east of Riga .. very difficult to find (possibly deliberately) but is horrifying by its isolation and the ticking metronome to represent the heartbeat of those individuals who passed through it.

The 'In your pocket' guides - on sale in hotels or via the web for Lithuania and Latvia are very helpful.

Riga
Old Jan 21, 09, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Two that stick in my mind from the Baltics are
The Occupation museum in Riga,
The KGB/Genocide Victims museum in Vilnius
The Karosta Prison in Liepaja (you can even stay there )
Old Jan 21, 09, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA/AA
The KGB museum in Vilnius is great. Basically, the old Soviet headquarters has been left untouched from the day the Russians pulled out. Also, try to see the statue of Frank Zappa.

Visit Grutas Park in Lithuania, near the Belorussia border. Rather than destroying all the old Soviet statues of Marx, Stalin and Lenin, they moved them out into a park.

There is also a very good Estonian history museum in Tallinn. I don't remember the name, but it is located in the old town. Their portrayal of Estonia under the Soviet Union is fascinating. They have a very good sense of humor about backwards "Soviet life". It is also fascinating to see the old WW2 photos of the Estonians greeting the Nazi soldiers as liberators from the Russian occupiers.
Old Jan 21, 09, 4:02 pm

The Latvian occupation museum has similar photos of the Nazis as liberators from the Russians.

Thanks to all those who posted who gave my suggestions their correct names!!
Old Jan 31, 09, 4:30 pm

There is a Lithuanian military museum in central Kaunas and a Lithuanian Aviation museum by the Kaunas airport.
Old Feb 3, 09, 2:17 am

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
There is one place in Lithuania that is etched into my memory. About ten clicks outside Vilnius, on one of the commuter lines, there is a village called Paneriai. You get off at the station and walk a bit up a dirt road into the woods. There are a few monuments and such but the focus are a series of pits which were originally dug as fuel storage. These are the pits in which the Jews of Vilnius were massacred and they are buried in the pits. As far as I recall, there is a small museum there, but it wasn't open when I went (March).

Wikipedia: Ponary Massacre

There is also a Lithuanian National Museum in Vilnius that has some ethnographic/historic exhibits as well as a small museum up in the castle, whatever it is called.

Search this Thread