FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Decent hotel in Ljubljana? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/904092-decent-hotel-ljubljana.html)

AusEuroFlyer Dec 29, 2008 2:27 pm

Decent hotel in Ljubljana?

Is there a decent hotel, 4-star or above, in Ljubljana? I've Googled it and I've looked on tripadvisor, but I can't find anywhere that appeals to me yet.

If you know of a decent one you can recommend for a not excessively fussy but somewhat fussy couple, please post here.

Thank you.

graraps Dec 29, 2008 2:40 pm

The Austria Trend is what you're after. It's a very nice, clean, modern and reasonably-priced 4-star. Service is efficient and courteous, if slightly impersonal.
Its only drawback is that it's not in the centre...It's located in a residential/office park suburb 3-4km outside the old town- but on a major avenue where buses are cheap and plentiful, and even a taxi won't be more than 5 Euros.

AusEuroFlyer Dec 30, 2008 3:05 am

Originally Posted by graraps (Post 10979187)
The Austria Trend is what you're after. It's a very nice, clean, modern and reasonably-priced 4-star. Service is efficient and courteous, if slightly impersonal.
Its only drawback is that it's not in the centre...It's located in a residential/office park suburb 3-4km outside the old town- but on a major avenue where buses are cheap and plentiful, and even a taxi won't be more than 5 Euros.

Thank you Graraps, that sounds good, especially the "nice, clean, modern" bit.

TravellinHusker Dec 30, 2008 3:07 am

Originally Posted by AusEuroFlyer (Post 10981738)
Thank you Graraps, that sounds good, especially the "nice, clean, modern" bit.

I think you will find Slovenia to be quite nice, clean, and modern overall. It's an absolutely beautiful country. Ljubljana is really quite quaint with the river running through the city. It's not such a large city, but surprising alot to see and do there.

AusEuroFlyer Dec 30, 2008 4:14 am

Originally Posted by TravellinHusker (Post 10981746)
I think you will find Slovenia to be quite nice, clean, and modern overall. It's an absolutely beautiful country. Ljubljana is really quite quaint with the river running through the city. It's not such a large city, but surprising alot to see and do there.

From the photos it looks really lovely, so we decided to brave the winter and visit there.

stimpy Jan 2, 2009 1:18 am

If on holiday, I might recommend staying in beautiful Bled. There are several very nice hotels there and it's a short drive to Ljubljana. I stayed at a 3-star in the center of Ljubljana and it was fine. I can't recall the name, but it was on one of the main streets and had maybe about 5 or 6 floors. It's nice to be able to walk back to the hotel after hitting the local pubs. ;)

AusEuroFlyer Jan 2, 2009 6:19 am

Stimpy - it is for a bit of a look around in the area (and down towards Croatia). We won't be getting there until fairly late (we're driving from Milan) and it's the middle of winter so I thought it might be easier to stay the night, but I'll look into staying in Bled. It sounds rather nice there.

I'll also look into the one in the centre. Thank you!

MikeMpls Jan 4, 2009 4:18 pm

The Lev was where most of us stayed for the Ljubljana DO in Sept., 2006. It was billed as Ljubljana's only 5-star hotel. 3.5-4 stars might be more accurate, but it was a decent place, nice staff, nice breakfast buffets. Most of us booked a cheap (~ $120/night) rate earlier in the year.

Several people (mostly late bookers) stayed in a 1-2* place called the Bit.

There is also a hostel (don't remember the name) that we toured that has been converted from a former prison. Each private room is uniquely decorated by an artist; most still have bars in addition to the modern doors.

mad_rich Jan 5, 2009 4:42 pm

Ljubljana is probably my favourite city in what is my favourite country in the world^. Beautiful architecture, great bars and restaurants. Bled & Bohinj are also breathtaking. Just have to decide if you want city or mountains. (Although they're only an hour or two apart, if you can't decide.)

If you get a chance, you should visit the caves at either Škocjan or Postojna.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls (Post 11010582)

There is also a hostel (don't remember the name) that we toured that has been converted from a former prison. Each private room is uniquely decorated by an artist; most still have bars in addition to the modern doors.

It's the Hostel Celica. Great place, though definitely hostel rather than hotel. We stayed there a couple of years ago.

http://www.souhostel.com/

As long as you steer clear of the Hotel Park, you'll be fine.

cj001f Jan 5, 2009 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by mad_rich (Post 11017289)
As long as you steer clear of the Hotel Park, you'll be fine.

I stayed there in 1999 sounds like it hasn't changed :D Barren, spartan and drab.

AusEuroFlyer Jan 6, 2009 4:36 am

Thanks everyone!

I'm just about to make the decision because I feel I need to get this part of the trip sorted. We'll be driving there so we need a parking space. I've sent off queries to hotels so hopefully I can sort out our accommodation soon.

It's part of a little driving holiday - more of a pre-trip to come back and spend a bit longer next time if we like it. We might not have time to see Bled etc this time but it's definitely planned for our next trip.

mecabq Aug 24, 2010 6:27 am

Any updates?

I am looking for the most interesting upscale hotel in the city center. It looks like the Lev and Grand Hotel Union Executive might be the two best choices, but if someone who has been there could provide some insight, then I would appreciate it.

Originally Posted by TravellinHusker (Post 10981746)

Originally Posted by mad_rich (Post 11017289)
Ljubljana is probably my favourite city in what is my favourite country in the world^. Beautiful architecture, great bars and restaurants. Bled & Bohinj are also breathtaking. Just have to decide if you want city or mountains. (Although they're only an hour or two apart, if you can't decide.)

TravellinHusker and mad_rich, can you please give some ideas about what to do? I have always heard good things about it, and decided to go to Ljubljana over a spare weekend when I will be close-by for work.

What are the main sights? How about restaurants for local food? Night-life districts? I appreciate your insight.

MilesMark Aug 24, 2010 7:11 am

We had a wonderful stay at the Grand Hotel Union and in LJU. As I recall, TripAdvisor had some good insights into whether the newer or older wing was better. I believe we were in the old wing because if it's "charm", but I can't recall. The hotel was still all aglow about Bill Clinton having stayed there. It is perfectly located for getting around town on foot.

I don't recall any specific restaurants from our visit in 2004 and things can change a lot in a very short span of time. At that point, they were starting the Slo food movement and we got some excellent recommendations just by asking the friendly people wandering around. Local wines are worth trying.

We were there longer than you have planned and rented a car for trips out in the country. It's fun just driving around the back roads and stopping at little towns for lunch. LJU is one of the most charming towns we've ever visited, and we've been to lots of places. Even its airport is a pleasure. Enjoy.

jaymar01 Aug 24, 2010 6:13 pm

Here is a good travel article on Slovenia from the UK Independent, dated July 10, 2010.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-2022654.html#

monahos Aug 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by mecabq (Post 14536075)
I am looking for the most interesting upscale hotel in the city center. It looks like the Lev and Grand Hotel Union Executive might be the two best choices, but if someone who has been there could provide some insight, then I would appreciate it.

My stay at the Lev dates from 2006, but I doubt it has become interesting in the meantime. It is a 1960's concrete building that was an Intercontinental a decade ago, with a somewhat tired Crowne Plaza level interior.
As MikeMpls mentioned, nothing wrong with it, but it has little character.

I second the recommendation for local wines; the white Šipon Holermuos from the Lev's restaurant was actually the best bottle I sampled on that trip.