Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transiting Athens, Greece Airport

Old Dec 18, 08, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM

I'm planning an itinerary that will involve flying into ATH airport at 6.25pm from IST on Turkish Airlines and then transiting to domestic to fly to Rhodes on an Aegean flight departing at 8.30pm.

Can anyone advise if the two hour transit time is sufficient (barring any delays) to collect luggage and then check-in for the Aegean flight. All flights are in business class.

Thank.
Old Dec 18, 08, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue this discussion in the Europe forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Dec 18, 08, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JOUY31 View Post
Please continue this discussion in the Europe forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Thanks for that....wasn't quite sure what forum to post in.
Old Dec 19, 08, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should be able to make it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if TK could check you in all the way through to RHO. Call them and ask.
Old Dec 19, 08, 5:34 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
You won't have a problem making this connection. You should be able to have your bags checked through all the way to RHO, so you won't have to claim them in ATH and recheck them. If TK in IST cannot get you boarding passes for the Aegean segment, you can get them from the transit desk before and/or after you clear immigrations.
Old Dec 19, 08, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dg4255 View Post
You won't have a problem making this connection. You should be able to have your bags checked through all the way to RHO, so you won't have to claim them in ATH and recheck them. If TK in IST cannot get you boarding passes for the Aegean segment, you can get them from the transit desk before and/or after you clear immigrations.
The ability to check baggage through to another carrier has nothing to do with the ability to issue boarding passes on said carrier. I wouldn't expect TK to be able to issue BPs for A3.
I would do OLCI for the Aegean flight, print the BP, and turn up at IST with it and ask them to check my baggage through.
Old Dec 19, 08, 3:25 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by graraps View Post
The ability to check baggage through to another carrier has nothing to do with the ability to issue boarding passes on said carrier. I wouldn't expect TK to be able to issue BPs for A3.
I would do OLCI for the Aegean flight, print the BP, and turn up at IST with it and ask them to check my baggage through.
In my posting, I never said there was a mutual exclusive relationship between bps and checking bags. Only that the bags CAN more than likely be checked through (depends on if TK and A3 have an interlining agreement and I didn't look that up AND both segments are on the same ticket). As for the BP. It also depends if it is one ticket or two separate tickets. If one ticket, and the OP uses TK online checkin, and their system cannot print the A3 segment, then the OP would have to use A3 online checkin just for that segment. However, currently A3 online checkin is only valid with both an A3 record locator AND an A3 ticket number starting with 390 AND travel has to start at ATH. So, without more information about the OPs ticket situation, we cannot give a more accurate assessment.
Old Dec 19, 08, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, currently A3 online checkin is only valid with both an A3 record locator AND an A3 ticket number starting with 390 AND travel has to start at ATH. So, without more information about the OPs ticket situation, we cannot give a more accurate assessment.
While I agree with your last sentence, I have to note that I've successfully OLCIed on Aegean (390 etix) from SKG. More than once.
Old Dec 19, 08, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

I'm actually travelling on 2 separate tickets, one being a Turkish Airlines one and the other an Aegean one.

I suspect that if it is at all possible to have luggage checked all the way through, then I would need to do an OLCI for Aegean and have a printed BP to show when I do my TK checking.

One curiousity, I notice that airlines usually have a 6 character record locator number but Aegean appears to only have a 5 character one.
Old Dec 19, 08, 10:51 pm

Ok, well, now we have some more information. Unless you receive a very nice check-in agent for TK at IST, you will only be able to check your luggage to ATH. You'll need to claim your luggage and re-check in with Aegean. Usually, and there are some exceptions, you must be on the same ticket all the way through in order to have your luggage checked all the way through. Some agents will go ahead and enter in the continuing flight segment(s) and check your bags through, but most are not trained how to do that, and quite honestly, as your tickets were purchased separately, there is no contractual obligation for TK to do anything except get you and your luggage from IST to ATH. That's the ticket you bought from them. In any way, you will have NO time problems if you have to claim your bags and re-check in with Aegean.
Old Dec 20, 08, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, well, now we have some more information. Unless you receive a very nice check-in agent for TK at IST, you will only be able to check your luggage to ATH. You'll need to claim your luggage and re-check in with Aegean. Usually, and there are some exceptions, you must be on the same ticket all the way through in order to have your luggage checked all the way through. Some agents will go ahead and enter in the continuing flight segment(s) and check your bags through, but most are not trained how to do that, and quite honestly, as your tickets were purchased separately, there is no contractual obligation for TK to do anything except get you and your luggage from IST to ATH. That's the ticket you bought from them.
I think it's very likely that TK have an interline agreement with A3. If I were the OP, I 'd call/email TK in advance and ask them about it. If I got a positive response and proceeded to have problems with a clueless agent at check-in, I'd request a supervisor to come along. IST is the main TK hub, and the OP is flying business class, so I'm sure that any technical issues can be resolved on the spot.
Old Dec 20, 08, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice received so far.

Digging around the web site for Aegean Airlines I came across a page that shows all their interline agreements and TK is indeed one of them.

Therefore, I can assume that although I have two separate tickets (one for Aegean and othe other for Turkisk) when I check in for my TK flt from IST-ATH, the interline arrangement will permit me to both checkin for the Aegean flight from ATH-RHO and have my baggage checked all the way through to RHO.
Old Dec 20, 08, 3:23 pm

Actually, no, the interlining agreement only applies if the TK and A3 segments are on the same ticket. As you have separate tickets, TK has no obligation to check your bags through to RHO and you will have to check in for the A3 flight separately, either online or at the airport in ATH.
Old Dec 20, 08, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, no, the interlining agreement only applies if the TK and A3 segments are on the same ticket. As you have separate tickets, TK has no obligation to check your bags through to RHO and you will have to check in for the A3 flight separately, either online or at the airport in ATH.
This is incorrect. Interline agreements DO NOT presuppose a single ticket.

Flying CX from AKL, I have managed to check bags through to flights on a separate CSA ticket from AMS (different continent, different alliance, different day, and even different class of service!).

Having said that, I'd still say you need to double-check with TK. The fact that A3 can interline bags to TK doesn't necessarily mean that the opposite will be true.
Old Aug 20, 10, 9:17 pm

For our honeymoon, we're planning on IAD-CDG-ATH-SIN-HKT-SIN-ATH-CDG-IAD over three weeks. The only "worrisome" connection is in ATH, where we have 85 minutes between the flight from CDG (on AF, arriving at 1135) and the flight to SIN (on SQ, leaving at 1300).

I assume that we'd be landing in the Schengen part of ATH, and then will have to head over to the non-Schengen part. Also, because AF and SQ presumably aren't interlined, we'll probably pack light and not check in luggage at IAD. Fortunately, SQ allows both OLCI and PYOB. Under these circumstances, how likely is it that we'd make our SQ flight? What's the biggest holdup we could encounter, apart from a late arrival from CDG?

ATH seems like a fairly small airport but the terminal maps we saw didn't have a scale to indicate actual walking distance.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: