Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

travel with expired passport

Old Dec 12, 08, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: skyteam

I'm an EU citizen, and my country (Greece) is part of the Schengen area. I currently live in France, and I'm going back to see my family for Christmas.

The problem is, my passport has expired in 31/12/2004 (that's December 31st for the american friends ...). Since I don't need it to be here in France, and since I don't have plans to travel outside Schengen for the time being, I totally neglected to renew it!

I have a transit flight from Paris to Athens through Zurich and back. It seems that the airports are not open for Schengen citizens, yet. You think there's going to be a problem?

As an aside, I went to the UK with this passport and my ID card. In fact, the immigration office said that it was good that I had it, even if it is expired. They also mentioned that it is valid, 5 years after its expiration date, for identification purposes.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by dee_em; Dec 13, 08 at 4:36 am
Old Dec 13, 08, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
welcome to flyertalk, dee_em

I moved your post into a new thread. To help you better, please specify which country you're travelling to.

regards,

chrissxb
europe forum
Old Dec 13, 08, 5:21 am

Thumbs up

Even if Switzerland (or Zurich airport) is not yet part of the Schengen area you should be OK with a (valid) ID card from a Schengen country.
I have traveled a lot to Switzerland (or connected in Zurich) carrying only my ID card (also from a Schengen country).

I think youíre not even obliged to have a passport. I got my first passport because of a trip to the US, but had been traveling in Europe (including Switzerland) for years using only my ID card. (And I think that was even before the Schengen aera existed...)
Old Dec 13, 08, 10:35 am

National ID cards have been valid for travel within the EU (and certain other European countries) for as long as I can remember. Nationals of what is now the EU have not needed a passport to travel to Switzerland since at least the 1970s.

So - as long as you have valid ID you don't need a passport.
Old Dec 18, 08, 6:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
All true, and finally, you do not need to go through Swiss immigration since you are just transiting.

Search this Thread