Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

best place to live in europe

best place to live in europe

Old Aug 8, 08, 5:21 am

One more thing. He´s looking for something nice, easy-going and with plenty of employment opportunities for little money. Sorry to say, that doesn´t usually happen. Many others are attracted by the same qualities in a place and therefore housing is usually in shortage and not cheap. You can find many nice places that have affordable housing, but usually there´s no jobs. Not to sound too negative, but the same must be true in the UK as well?
Old Aug 8, 08, 5:52 am
Suspended

Go check out Switzerland!! Zurich, Bern or Lucerne are nice places!
Old Aug 8, 08, 9:09 am

Programs: LH KL PC
Originally Posted by SwissCircle View Post
Go check out Switzerland!! Zurich, Bern or Lucerne are nice places!
Yes but finding a job in Switzerland is no piece of cake as they're not part of the EU.
Old Aug 8, 08, 9:10 am
iff

Originally Posted by bensyd View Post
One thing I think the OP should clarify. He mentions he has a degree in sychology and counselling is he looking to get a job in that field? I would venture that it would be nigh on impossible without the language to get a job in that field, and that being said he will have to weigh up whether he is willing to sacrifice a higher grad degree wages for the lifestyle.
Also, depending on the requirements for licensing or practicing in other countries, that degree may not be sufficient and he may require different education or training to be able to work in that field regardless of the language.

Online research by the OP is definitely a good place to start, as well as visiting other countries to see what appeals to him. Connecting with other expats in various places could also be helpful.
Old Aug 8, 08, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ms1664 View Post
Yes but finding a job in Switzerland is no piece of cake as they're not part of the EU.
There isa.) plenty of job openings and
B.) the so called "Freizügigkeits Abkommen" which allows EU citzens (the old EU!) to reside and work in Switzerland as they like.
You get work, show contract and rental agreement to the "Fremdenpolizei" and then you recieve a residence permit level B.
Old Aug 8, 08, 10:18 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Provence , France

My dream come true would be to live in Provence, France. But I think you could ease into it. Fly to Nice, France. Large English speaking population there. You might be able to pick up some work in an English Bar in or around the Old Town. Learn French. It should be easier if you immerse yourself in the language and culture. Then venture out. travel one to three hours in any direction and you will find something special. My special town would be... , well, better you pick your own.
Old Aug 8, 08, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmiles View Post
My dream come true would be to live in Provence, France. But I think you could ease into it. Fly to Nice, France. Large English speaking population there. You might be able to pick up some work in an English Bar in or around the Old Town. Learn French. It should be easier if you immerse yourself in the language and culture. Then venture out. travel one to three hours in any direction and you will find something special. My special town would be... , well, better you pick your own.

I've been to Aix and, while it was a nice town, it was at least as expensive as (and probably more than) Paris, without wages to match...
Old Aug 8, 08, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
The money

Yea, isn't that the way life is. It's always the money. How about St. Remy-de-Provence?
Old Aug 8, 08, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
And cost of living is HIGH...I have been here for 3 years. I like it, but I am NOT an entry level employee. Would not recommend it for someone without a high paying career.

fduvall

Originally Posted by ms1664 View Post
Old Aug 8, 08, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
I am a US citizen working in the US side of a French company and based primarily in Paris. I am slowing be transitioned back to being based in the US. Since graduating from college, living in Paris has been great. I knew the language already enough to get by, and I am currently fluent. So it can be done. Granted even upon graduating college I was NOT entry level. So I could see how hard it would be to get by in a large city "comfortably" on a waitress salary.

Travel and find a place you feel at home in. You may just fall into something great.
Old Aug 9, 08, 3:00 am

On the question of language limitations/job opportunities:

As mentioned in previous posts, the chances of getting a job in psychology/counselling in a non-English speaking country are probably going to be close to zero - though there may be the odd opening working in an English-speaking organisation or serving an English-speaking expat community.

However, I would disagree with the notion that the only jobs to be had are menial jobs in the hospitality trade.

There are well-paid professional jobs available all over Europe that do not require knowledge of the local language - working for companies or international organisations where the working language is English. It is certainly possible to have a CAREER in places like Brussels, Amsterdam or Copenhagen without speaking the local language (or languages in the case of Brussels), and these are also places where one can generally get by in English in one's day-to-day life - though it's not something I would recommend as you will always be an outsider unless you speak the language of the country you are living in.
Old Aug 9, 08, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
O
It is certainly possible to have a CAREER in places like Brussels, Amsterdam or Copenhagen without speaking the local language (or languages in the case of Brussels), and these are also places where one can generally get by in English in one's day-to-day life - though it's not something I would recommend as you will always be an outsider unless you speak the language of the country you are living in.
Agreed, but these places probably are colder, darker and rainier than the UK...and Brussels has been voted the "most boring capital city in Europe", so I don't think they would be a good solution for the OP.
Old Aug 9, 08, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by graraps View Post
Agreed, but these places probably are colder, darker and rainier than the UK...and Brussels has been voted the "most boring capital city in Europe", so I don't think they would be a good solution for the OP.
So that brings me back to Nice, France. Good climate, English widly spoken. And a Topless beach right in town.
Old Aug 9, 08, 7:12 am

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
I would nominate Berlin.

So you can take a service industry job whilst you learn German. Otherwise look into doing some language courses over here. The cost of living will seem a pitance compared to what you would expect to pay even in a small UK town.
            Old Aug 9, 08, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by graraps View Post
            And where does the OP say that he is looking for somewhere warm and sunny? He is just looking for somewhere that isn't the UK. Amsterdam and Copenhagen would certainly be good choices for a first-timer - as would be Brussels which is nowhere near as bad as some people say. All three towns are very international, with lots of English-speaking jobs.

Search this Thread