Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Gas or diesel prices in France and the U.K.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The last time we were driving in Europe, we rented a gas fueled car in the UK, because the price differential didn't favor diesel. In France, however, diesel was much cheaper.

What's the situation today? Looking to rent in UK and France again.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
In the UK, diesel is about 40-50% more expensive than petrol.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by redbeard911
In the UK, diesel is about 40-50% more expensive than petrol.
Wildly off.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuel/
Old Jul 24, 2008, 3:23 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Gas and Diesel prices.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK - it's definitely gas in the UK.

How's the differential in France? The graphs didn't show that much of a difference, and a diesel vehicle typically get better mileage. What would you recommend?
Old Jul 24, 2008, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by BigLar
OK - it's definitely gas in the UK.
If a diesel car is available for the same price, the slight price differential may be made up for by the reduced fuel consumption.

How's the differential in France? The graphs didn't show that much of a difference, and a diesel vehicle typically get better mileage. What would you recommend?
http://www.zagaz.com/
Old Jul 24, 2008, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Uh, great. Just what I was looking for.

Now, if I could only translate it.

S98 = ?
S95 = ?
Gasoil+ = ?
Gasoil = ?
GPL = ?
E85 = 85% Ethanol, right?

IIRC, Gasoil was either diesel or gas/oil mixture for 2-stroke engines (very popular for scooters, etc.)

?????
Old Jul 24, 2008, 6:37 pm

Programs: bahn.bonus, FB, EB
Uh, great. Just what I was looking for.

Now, if I could only translate it.
95 and 98 are gasoline/petrol. The numbers are octane ratings. Different standard than the US though. Any "normal" rental car will run fine on 95.

Gasoil/gazole is diesel. Gasoil+ is premium diesel.

GPL (gaz de pétrole liquéfié), liquefied petroleum gas. I believe it is usually called "propane" in the US. The thing you use for cooking in your trailer/mobile home. (To add to the confusion this is actually called "gasol" in Sweden. )

E85, quite right, is 85% ethanol, 15% gas/petrol. In northern Europe the gas fraction is higher in the winter, though.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:19 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion in our Travel->Europe thread. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 5:49 am

Programs: BA
Usage of the US term Gas will cause confusion in Europe where it will likely be mistaken for proper gas-fuelled (ie propane) cars, often termed LPG (or GPL, above), there are a number of these around now and an increasing number of fuel stations handle them.

I know it's difficult remembering Petrol in Britain, Essence in France, etc, but no worse than us having to remember to say Gas in the US.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 6:57 am

If you get a nice diesel, take it. French cars are not my first choice to rent, but Okay ... especially diesels. In France I often get gas, diesel at large supermarkets, it's cheaper...some supermarkets have now even stations at the autoroute.
Some gas cars have a good mileage now. Just had a Mercedes C-class, only about 8Ltr/100km. Also had an Audi diesel A4 2.0TDI, only 7+ Ltr/100Km. Both are nice cars .. however, in May 2008 I had a BMW 7 Series Diesel That's a dream car, very powerful. And I went MUC-FRA-MUC without filling diesel. If you want to buy one ... wait, they bring a new one.
Sorry, only in German: http://www.stern.de/auto/fahrbericht...er/632151.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.