Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Liechtenstein from Zurich?

Old Jul 22, 08, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Amb Gold, Marriott Plat, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, BA Blue, FB Ivory

What's the best way to get to Liechtenstein for a day? Having looked it seems to be some combination of train and bus but there seems to be two places to get a train to.

Or is train and bus a bad idea? Would prefer not to hire a car if I can avoid it.
Old Jul 24, 08, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Liechtenstein

Use the Swiss railways planner.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

Looks like a train plus bus (there are no railways in Liechtenstein). The busses are extremely reliable in Switzerland and integrated with the rail system. You should be able to buy a through ticket (machines at the station, internet or at the worst at a counter). Note - internet tickets are non-refundable, but save you the hassle of queueing.
The capital of Liechtenstein is Vaduz.
Old Jul 24, 08, 5:40 pm

Programs: bahn.bonus, FB, EB
Originally Posted by catandmouse View Post
Looks like a train plus bus (there are no railways in Liechtenstein).
Actually, there is a line between Buchs SG and Feldkirch in Austria, going through the principality. But not many trains per day stop there. And it seems that the connections by bus are quicker, which is why the trains don't show up on the SBB website. bahn.de shows them, though.
Old Jul 24, 08, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, CX DIA, EK Gold
Rental car: The drive is about 1.5-2 hours from the airport.
Old Aug 2, 08, 12:01 pm

Train and Bus

The Bus from the train station is really the only option unless you want to rent a car. Here's the question: Why bother? Some banks, tourist-dependent shopping, pretty much what you'd expect to find. I find it intensely boring.
Old Aug 4, 08, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Amb Gold, Marriott Plat, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, BA Blue, FB Ivory
Well, I went from Zurich last weekend.

Took the train to Sargans then bus from there. Came back to Sargans and took trains on to Rapperswil and the boat back from there to Zurich. Made for an interesting round trip.

I didnt find Vaduz completely boring! It is small but there were some interesting buildings such as the new parliament and a few quirky museums. Not as many tourists as I'd expected but it was a Sunday meaning that most shops were closed.
Old Aug 11, 08, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pdx42 View Post
Why bother? Some banks, tourist-dependent shopping, pretty much what you'd expect to find. I find it intensely boring.
Some of us "collect" countries! Liechtenstein is an easy trip from Zurich. The buses between Sargan and Vaduz are easy to spot- if I remember, they're a bilious green. Highly recommended just so you can say you've been there.

Last edited by Athena53; Aug 12, 08 at 5:10 pm
Old Aug 13, 08, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, AmEx Cent, Misc Hotel Bling, Moms love me
Originally Posted by Athena53 View Post
Some of us "collect" countries! Liechtenstein is an easy trip from Zurich. The buses between Sargan and Vaduz are easy to spot- if I remember, they're a bilious green. Highly recommended just so you can say you've been there.
Perfect thread! I have 13:25 in FRA next week, and was looking for a country to "collect' in the meantime. Am I insane to consider:

Arrive ZRH 11:20
ZRH-Vaduz-ZRH by train/bus
Depart ZRH 18:55

7:35 total time on the ground, and looks like roughly 2 hrs each way by train/bus to Vaduz according to the SBB website. Assuming I buy internet tickets, what is "reasonable?"

- How long from door opening on plane to boarding train?
- How long should I leave between train arrival to ZRH and departure time?

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 08, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, AmEx Cent, Misc Hotel Bling, Moms love me
Originally Posted by Athena53 View Post
Some of us "collect" countries!
Was it easy to find the tourist office and pay to get a stamp?
Old Aug 13, 08, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

It was easy to find the tourist office. They did stamps there. I didn't buy one as I'm always reluctant to get any stamps in my passport that are not legitimately done at immigration as occasionally I understand it can cause difficulties.

From Zurich I can't remember how long it took to get through the airport to the train but it was pretty quick. Buying train tickets was easy and quick - a line of 2/3 people ahead of us. We landed on a Friday evening and there were trains into central Zurich about every 10 minutes.

If you have limited time then don't hang about when you get off the train to catch the Vaduz bus. It leaves promptly a couple of minutes after the train arrives into the station.
Old Aug 14, 08, 10:32 am

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
Liechtenstein should build a small airport with regional service operated by DHC-8-Q300 or Q400's or Q200's or similar A/c to neighboring countries or as far as to London.. and operated by Swiss
Old Aug 14, 08, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
You can have your passport stamped for 2euro (that's what it was in 2006). I don't know what the issue is for having an "unofficial" stamp, particularly given some of the passports I've seen with Visa service company stickers all over them.

Search this Thread