Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Europe in September, could use some advice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Europe in September, could use some advice!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
The hotel at Noordwijk is 50 Euro and one in Delft is 70. Why in the world would I want to pay twice to three times more for one in Leiden?
Thats a good deal, there are award nights available at Leiden if you have the spare points but compared to what you're paying not worth it to you.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:31 am

Suppose I do that - pick up the car at Brussels and drop it off in Antwerp (Sixt Holiday, 250 Euro). I still need to get to Delft and Noordwijk, how do I do that?
Delft is one hour and 24 Euro from Antwerp on the train, Delft to Voorhout takes half an hour and costs 5.60 Euro. Voorhout to Amsterdam Central takes 45 minutes and costs 12.40 Euro same day return.

Petrol is now at 1.64 Euro a Litre in Holland, thats $12.98 an Imperial gallon.

So ya, I still suggest the train to end your trip.

If you don't have much baggage that is.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by tourist
To me, half the fun of driving is to unfold a new map, plan the route, and get an understanding of the lay of the land. I'm with highlanderfil on this!
I spent too long driving around London with an AtoZ map strapped to my knee like a fighter pilot to not appreciate GPS.
I do always have a map because of the limitations of GPS devices, they need power, EMP pulses, ect.

One of my favourite applications is to use it whilst walking. To be accurately steered through unknown cities by voice makes finding most places of interest very easy. I use an earpiece so I don't look like a target for muggers.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
If you're staying anywhere for two nights on the trot, try plugging in the area into this link
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/...r1-_-exclusive
to see if they have any deals.

Mind you, I couldn't see much for this particular weekend, only IJMUIDEN SEAPORT BEACH
I couldn't even find that! It starts with October, seemingly...
Old Jul 20, 2008, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Also keep a look out for pointsbreaks periodically at this link:
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...rateCode=IVANI
This gets updated every few weeks (sometimes the offers are only there for a few days) and some real bargains can occasionally be had for just 5,000points (approx $50). With your itinerary it's entirely possibly you'll get lucky.
Yep, that's how I got Leuven and Brussels.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chalkitdown
Thats a good deal, there are award nights available at Leiden if you have the spare points but compared to what you're paying not worth it to you.
I don't have any points left and didn't even see Leiden on the Points Break list.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Delft is one hour and 24 Euro from Antwerp on the train, Delft to Voorhout takes half an hour and costs 5.60 Euro. Voorhout to Amsterdam Central takes 45 minutes and costs 12.40 Euro same day return.

Petrol is now at 1.64 Euro a Litre in Holland, thats $12.98 an Imperial gallon.

So ya, I still suggest the train to end your trip.

If you don't have much baggage that is.
Well, one thing I'm contemplating doing is going Brugge/Antwerp-Delft on the train, then renting a car for my final day around Amsterdam, to drive to Zandvoort and then just to the airport (I prefer relying on myself than on public transport). Will explore that option, thanks for putting it in the back of my head.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I couldn't even find that! It starts with October, seemingly...
Nope, I was seeing 13-15 September at Ijmuiden (nothing at Leiden)
Old Jul 20, 2008, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Nope, I was seeing 13-15 September at Ijmuiden (nothing at Leiden)
Hm, weird. Oh well.

OK, new plan hatched. I am going to make the following changes:

- Try to get Holiday Inn to make a change so that I stay at the Brussels hotel two nights instead of one in exchange for Leuven. This might be tough because Leuven is still available on the Point Breaks site, but Brussels is not. Is it worth trying to stay in Leuven for both nights instead? Convenience says no, but perhaps others know best.

- Pick up the rental car in Brussels on the 6th (Sixt) and go to Germany, then back to Bruges.

- Drop off the car on the 11th in Antwerp and take the train to Delft

- Pick up another rental car for the last two days of driving to Noordwijk/Zandvoort/Haarlem/Amsterdam Airport, etc. One question about that. I'm used to train stations having parking here in the States. Would I be able to find the same around Amsterdam?

How does this all sound?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

OK, so since Brussels is off the Point Breaks list, I can't trade Leuven for it. Staying both nights in Leuven seems counter-intuitive, though...
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Amazing. Regardless of when I'd pick up the car (4th, 5th or 6th of September), Sixt gives me the same 238 Euro rate. 5th it is, I guess, since I'd have to get to Leuven somehow and the city itself doesn't have a Sixt location.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Delft is one hour and 24 Euro from Antwerp on the train...
Where did you get this pricing info?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:48 am

Where did you get this pricing info?
You need to book directly with NL Rail, I've looked at raileurope before, their prices always seem higher, here's a link.

http://www.ns.nl/reisplanner-v2/index.shtml
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:32 am

- Pick up another rental car for the last two days of driving to Noordwijk/Zandvoort/Haarlem/Amsterdam Airport, etc. One question about that. I'm used to train stations having parking here in the States. Would I be able to find the same around Amsterdam?

How does this all sound?
It's that part of the trip that may be easier by train than driving. Parking around Amsterdam is expensive. Some stations outside Amsterdam do provide cheap park and ride, but all are outside town and will place you on the rail system in any case.
Have a look at this thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...terdam+driving
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

You need to book directly with NL Rail, I've looked at raileurope before, their prices always seem higher, here's a link.

http://www.ns.nl/reisplanner-v2/index.shtml
Can I get the tickets at the station? For some reason the site craps out at the 4th step, after I enter my credit card - doesn't give me confirmation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.