FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Budapest, Prague and Berlin Questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/842650-budapest-prague-berlin-questions.html)

RedRobin Jul 8, 2008 6:36 am

Budapest, Prague and Berlin Questions

Fellow FT'ers...

Long time no post, and not sure if I am even posting in the right section so please point me to the right section if needed to repost, otherwise, here we go:

Traveling with my wife for 10-12 days between Budapest, Prague and Berlin, and wanted to get some input from you about: (second week in August)

Best way/Reasonable/Cheap to get to and from airport in each of the cities? (considering we're two, and will come and go back to the airport within 3 days)

Hotel Recommendations in each of the cities (maybe up to around 100 usd$ a night? -a little more ok)

Must do's given only 3 days in each place?

Much appreciated it for any advise, look outs or deals suggested,

Thanks,
Dr3w:confused:

One Last Thing: Traveling as a Zed/sublo/standby from/with LH-Fra-Bud / MA-Bud-Prg / OK-Prg-Txl / LH-Txl-Fra ... how good / or bad will it be to get two seats on these flights? given its summer in Europe? any thoughts?

JOUY31 Jul 8, 2008 7:45 am

Originally Posted by RedRobin (Post 9998991)
Fellow FT'ers...

Long time no post, and not sure if I am even posting in the right section so please point me to the right section i

No problem at all, I shall just move this thread to the Europe forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator

dhammer53 Jul 8, 2008 10:01 am

Originally Posted by RedRobin (Post 9998991)
Best way/Reasonable/Cheap to get to and from airport in each of the cities? (considering we're two, and will come and go back to the airport within 3 days)

www.toandfromtheairport.com will list all alternatives from bus/subway/taxi/car/other.

I've found it very helpful.

Prague report here... http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ight=dhammer53

Romelle Jul 8, 2008 8:45 pm

http://www.bud.hu/english/transport/airport_shuttle worked quite nicely both ways for me. Even picked me up at 4:30 am for an early departure. Max of 1/2 hour at the airport as they gather a load. And buy a round trip ticket for a little savings.

It isn't readily apparent just what is going on as they gather their loads. You are told to wait "over there". Lots of people milling about and passing through. A guy appears in the lobby and says the general destination of his load sort of loud. Then the people that want that destination go out with him. The guys don't wear an obvious uniform, but are just dressed mostly in black (as is pretty common generally in Europe). They usually have a clipboard. I resorted to going up to each guy that I thought was a driver who said some phrase loud in the lobby, and showing him the written name of my hotel and it's address and asking "this one?". After being told "Nem" (no) a bunch of times, finally one said yes. I think I may have missed the first load for my destination as I hadn't figured out the "system".

There is train to/from the airport but it could be tricky with luggage, in another language, with jetlag, etc.

And if you decide to do any Turkish spas, do carry a hotel towel as the spas may otherwise charge a towel "rental".

Romelle

RedRobin Jul 9, 2008 5:10 am

Thanks..

I am reading all the replies and searching for old posts in the forums, and have found some good information. such as towels for baths and others bits. please if anyone has any more advice bring it on... thanks again, looking forward to a good trip. much appreciated for those that took the time to reply.

6rugrats Jul 22, 2008 10:44 am

I just returned from Budapest. I can very highly recommend the Kapital Inn as a wonderful place to stay. It was about $149 a night, but included breakfast made to order (coffee, eggs, pancakes, french toast, pastries, fresh fruit, etc.), and free snacks and drinks all day long, which saves quite a bit of money. Read the reviews on tripadvisor. If anything, they aren't effusive enough! Albert is a wonderful host and I can't say too many good things about him. He went to the train station and waited in line to buy tickets for us, and gave us a cell phone to use while we were there, in case we got stuck.

We took a taxi from the airport. Go to the booth at the airport labeled zona taxi. Zona taxi charges a flat rate of ft4500 or about 21 Euros. Ride into central Pest takes about 30 minutes. The return trip is less expensive. You can take public transportation as already explained, but if you are tired from the trip, I'd take the taxi.

Budapest is easy to figure out and you can't go wrong. Very good restaurants on the Octogon, and be sure to stroll all the way down Andrassy ut. We never took the public transportation and just walked everywhere. Don't miss the Basilica. Be prepared for weather changes and I advise you to bring an umbrella.

Can't advise you on your flights. Have you considered just taking the train? You could take the night train from BUD to Prague and save the hotel bill for the night.

Have a great trip.

craz Jul 22, 2008 1:56 pm

Berlin, Id atke a bus theres 1 marked TXL takes appx 20 mins and its near the Brandenberg Gate, it goes down Unte de Linden, you can use the local transport for up to 2 hrs, so you can then transfer to the subway or bus to get you to your hotel area. Theres another bus that will drop you by the zoo where you can pick up almost any subway. If you are traveling with alot of bags, Id take a cab at each airport.

Budapest, either the shared vans or taxi, I use the bus and subway, as I travel light but it takes alot longer, 1 hr from the Deak subway area. I beileve you can save some $$ by booking a round-trip with the shared vans rather then 2 1 ways.

Prague, again I plan next week to go with the bus & subway option. There areshared vans here as well but they drop off and pick up by the Marriott/ Hilton Old Town Hotel area. I dont believe they pick up at each hotel, hopefully someone does know for sure.

I havent been to PRG yet, I was in both Berlin & Budapest and will be back in BUD this Thurs as well and plan on taking Bus-Subway-Bus as Im staying the 1st night up in the Hilton in the Castle area

I traevl with a 21" roller and a garmet bag that goes over my shoulder. If had a reg roller I wouldnt go with the reg Public Transport but eitehr shared vans or taxis. I dont generally buy a Tourist card as I enjoy walking all around , so it would be alot cheaper for me to pay as I ride. If you will be in any city for 3 days or so and plan on hitting the Museums etc then a Tourist card for transport and discounts on admissions might just be the way for you to go, as long as you are traveling light as I do.

tcook052 Jul 22, 2008 11:27 pm

FWIW, I'm booked into the EasyHotel Budapest at the rock bottom rate of EUR15 per night. Sure the room is probably not big enough to turn around in and there are zero frills but I plan to spend almost all of my non-sleeping hours out experiencing Budapest itself, not in a hotel that has CNN. Or the BBC. Or a coffee maker in the room. Or, well, you get the point. :p

newbie2008 Jul 23, 2008 12:00 am

Ideas regarding trip in Europe

Hi all,

I'm planning on a trip to Europe in late November and Early December. I have about 16 days (including flying to destination and flying back home). Nothing is definitive yet as I'm still waiting on recommendation on the best city in Europe to fly into. But what do you guys think of this plan?

craz Jul 23, 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 10082555)
FWIW, I'm booked into the EasyHotel Budapest at the rock bottom rate of EUR15 per night. Sure the room is probably not big enough to turn around in and there are zero frills but I plan to spend almost all of my non-sleeping hours out experiencing Budapest itself, not in a hotel that has CNN. Or the BBC. Or a coffee maker in the room. Or, well, you get the point. :p

or if a person has some SPG pts most days this summer C&P is available for 4000 pts and $60 +tx. no lounge no free breakfast, but there is a coffee maker and a GREAT location right by the Deak Subway stop, and a 10 min walk to the Chain Bridge

NWA747SNN Jul 23, 2008 8:05 am

I have not stayed here myself, 15-30 Euro a night and a great loacation. The "hotel" is located near the Oktogon, a great central location in Pest.

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/3049615/8703000

http://www.easyhotel.com/hotels/gb/h...h_budapest.htm

FYI, Budapest is not a rip-off city, just use Zona taxi from the airport.

RedRobin Jul 24, 2008 10:33 am

cheap hotel near FRA Airport or nearby?

So, as I might not be able to travel back on my actual flight home, when returning from trip, I wanted to have a backup cheap hotel/near airport or city that I can have as a backup in case I get denied boarding.

Haven't search the forum yet, will do so shortly, but any suggestions in mind?

Thanks in advance,

RedRobin Jul 24, 2008 11:25 am

Thanks for the info, ... i did priceline for hotel in bud and ber. for prague i did points at the marriott.

will use a zona taxi in bud to go to the hotel, maybe the same to go back to airport, but maybe just public transp. not sure yet.

ended up going with air all around, as I had a very cheap ticket (wife is FA - so its 90% discount standby)

Will be on the lookout for the Octagon and Andrassy areas. has anyone gone to the caves there? any idea if its worth it? also any of the baths can be joined by male/female (so we can go together?)

Chapel Hill Guy Jul 24, 2008 1:55 pm

Rudas Baths, Turkish, male and female on weekends.

Originally Posted by RedRobin (Post 10090076)
also any of the baths can be joined by male/female (so we can go together?)