Wiki Posts
Search

Greek island hopping prices

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Greek island hopping prices

Haven't been to Greece for a couple of years and was able to score 4 Biz award tickets for August just recently. I always knew that August was high season but these ferry prices are way higher than anything I remember.
Total of 329 euro for 4 round trip tickets between PIRAEUS and Vathi(Samos). That's using 4 deck tickets outbound and 2 deck and a 2 person cabin inbound. Thinking about turning the award tickets back in.

I know fuel prices are way up but does anyone know if this is effecting tourism on the islands? At least you can book tickets online now.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:14 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Velocity + Miles & More
Was in Greek Islands 2 years ago and going back in six weeks. Ferry prices keep going up. I think fuel prices are one reason and the other is demand. The ferries have heavy loads so can keep putting up prices. Flying is getting more expensive as well.
Island tourism is still massive. The biggest impact for Greece was when the Euro was introduced and prices went up over night. Remember the Euro keeps going up against the $US as well.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:24 pm

When I was there a few years ago, even the locals were talking about how expensive the ferries were getting. hobarthoney is right, though - the horrible exchange rate doesn't help us any these days.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:39 am
Suspended

You might wish to consider the Greek mainland where there are many beautiful resorts without the huge influx of foreign tourists.
To me the Greek islands in August defeat the whole purpose of going to the islands in the first place.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by Showbizguru
You might wish to consider the Greek mainland where there are many beautiful resorts without the huge influx of foreign tourists.
To me the Greek islands in August defeat the whole purpose of going to the islands in the first place.
I am hearing that tourism has been very soft in the Mediterranean resorts. I just reading a UK-based message board on Cyprus, and people were reporting that is more quiet this Spring than in any over the previous last ten years.

The economic uncertainity (rising commodity prices and declining home values) has hit much of Europe. Additionally, the British pound has fallen sharply relative to the Euro.

You might consider travelling within smaller area....Naxos, Paros, Amorgos for example, or limit your travel to one of the bigger islands like Crete.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
So after further research it's become apparent that the Greek Islands have priced themselves out of any plans that I might be able to do. I really don't look at the USD\EURO exchange rate in my final costs. It's just a Euro to me and that's the going price. Still found round trip ferry prices to various islands well over the 300 euro mark for a family of 4. That is still in the stratosphere as far as I'm concerned even for August.

I haven't hit the travel agents yet and will send out my e-mails tomorrow for inquiry. Hope there is an Hotel/Ferry deal that has never been around before.

While the mainland idea is one that I have never followed, the kids are just set for the islands. I really miss the islands. It's been 2004 since we have been there and I do miss it.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA/AA
If your booking with miles, think about Cyprus. Your on a wonderful island, with strong Greek influence, and beaches that are nicer than most found on Greece.

No ferry charges. You can fly into one of two airports....Larnaca or Paphos.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 11:13 pm
Suspended

www.greektravel.com

Have a sconce at this site - one of the best I've come across.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:41 pm

One official reason for the price hikes is to finance new ships, as a few much-publicized mishaps earlier this decade finally led to the forced phasing-out of the 30+ year old (and fully amortized) boats which kept the prices low.

You won't find sizeable discounts on boat tickets, but perhaps slightly lower prices on a smaller competitor with few ships and routes. I do agree the ticket prices have gotten out of hand, and made island-hopping a financially different proposition altogether. Then again, there was all that post-Olympic talk of catering to higher-end tourists, a trend that may have started when the closure of the overland Balkans route kept budget northern European visitors at bay in the 90's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.