Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

renfe and ave train from MAD to AGP

Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Any advice on this option to Malaga? Fare is about 25E more than LCC flt.
Is there checked luggage? Reserved seats? Better to reserve on-line or just buy at station? Would be travellin mid afternoon on March 17 08.
Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally, I'd take the plane, especially if it's cheaper. Both airports are well-connected to the respective city centres with fast, cheap public transport, and the AGP train station is a bit outside the centre, so there isn't much reason to go by train.

Reserved seats, yes, checked luggage I am not sure about (not been on AVE yet).
Old Mar 4, 2008, 9:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
When I need answers about rail, I generally turn to the Man in Seat Sixty-One.

Link to Man in Seat Sixty-One's RENFE page.

We'll be travelling Málaga - Córdoba, staying, then AVE Córdoba - Madrid. Many European fast trains are - well, fast, plus free of many airport hassles, town to town (often downtown.)

OTOH, if one is flying into MAD and heading directly to a city well connected by low-cost air, it pays to fly. Otherwise, take the train and be regretful we don't have such a system in the USA.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by WhisperjetYYZ
Any advice on this option to Malaga? Fare is about 25E more than LCC flt.
Is there checked luggage? Reserved seats? Better to reserve on-line or just buy at station? Would be travellin mid afternoon on March 17 08.
Thanks!
Depends on your budget, but the AVE gets there on time. Flight (LCC or Iberia) -- you never know.

Reserved seat yes.

Checked luggage no (at least that I know of) although there is ample room at the end of each car, and in overhead racks.

Better to buy on line. Don't wait until you get to the station. You have to establish an account with RENFE to buy on line, but it is easy. Remember that the first time you buy a ticket on the web, you must pick it up with your credit card in hand at the originating station (in this case, Madrid Atocha). But don't wait in the long lines -- have the information stand person send you to a special line to the left, where you won't have to wait.

March 17 is Easter Week and all transport will be very crowded. I'd get my ticket (plane or train) as soon as possible.

From the airport or train station, taxis in Malaga are very cheap by US standards. Oops! Forgot about the dollar. Well, they're reasonable by US standards.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:34 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
train fares go up as demand increases.. so buy as soon as you can
Old Sep 28, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
What train station (if there are more than one) in Madrid does one board the train to Malaga from?
Old Sep 28, 2008, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by woody125
What train station (if there are more than one) in Madrid does one board the train to Malaga from?
Atocha, which is the main station.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
One thing I don't like about the AVE, if you are in "preferente" or "club" you exit farthest from the station, i.e., cattle class is closer to the station than you are. Just a little pet peeve of mine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.