Wiki Posts
Search

Memorable European Destination

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Memorable European Destination

Greetings!

Planning an exciting 7-9 days vacation for summer 2008 (June - August) to a destination in Europe. This will be the first visit and I hope more in the future. We look at two popular destinations: Greece (Santorini/Thira) and Italy (Venice, Rome, Florence, and Sicily).

Travel expense to Santorini is more expensive than to Italy. Both places offer classic architectural buildings and landscapes. Scenery on Santorini is unique especially at sunset. What are the exciting and memorable attractions? How would you compare Venice, Rome, Florence, and Sicily? (Personally, I enjoy watching sunrise and sunset over the ocean from high above.)

I appreciate and look forward to reading your response about those destinations.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 3:05 pm

Just between those it seems an easy call. I'd go with Italy.

My boss just returned from Santorini and was most unimpressed. Given some of the photos I've seen of it, I found that hard to believe, but he was adamant. And Athens pretty much seems to get universal thumbs down.

Having been to Italy I can say, as I'm sure will most others, that it is lovely. It's not cheap though. If Greece is more expensive then it must be awfully pricey. I would have thought it was cheaper.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 3:17 pm

The cheapest way to greece is thru a European package tour operator. That said hotel/food quality is much lower than in Italy and summers can be exceedingly hot and crowded. I do think you'd have more fun if you'd pick Italy and leave out one or two stops from your itinerary (seem like a lot to do in a week). Why not do Sicilily, Napels and work your way up to Rome for the flight back?
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Oceanfront village on Santorini is so beautiful at sunset. Only Bora Bora beach is comparable at different depth. I am surprised at the negative responses about Santorini, Greece!

We plan to visit one city in Italy (Venice, Rome, Florence, or Sicily). I believe Florence is the most complete destination.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I love Santorini & would buy a place there if I had the $$ (surprisingly enough it's not that expensive to own a small place). Actually I love Greece in general. Have been to other spots there (Athens, Delphi, Napoli, etc) & then over to Turkey.

Having said that, if you're doing Santorini only then I'd probably go to Italy. If you're doing Athens/Santorini combo, then Greece still an option. Santorini doesn't have as much architectural stuff as the 4 Italian cities you mentioned. Having said that, I probably wouldn't do 4 Italian cities in 8-9 days, but probably just go to 2; perhaps Rome & Venice.

PS - I'm going to have to look up the name, but there's a great place to have drinks in Santorini at sunset that plays opera, etc. Even if you don't like opera, the music is fab along w/ the views of the caldera.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:17 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow in our Travel->Europe forum, where hopefully even more travel suggestions will follow. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Greece is awesome. The people are very nice. The food is great and Santorini, or any of the islands are magical.
But not in summer. It is crowded and incredible HOT. there is also a lack of air-conditioners....

If this is your first time to Europe and you want Greece or Italy then it must be Rome.
You can do a one day tour to Florence if you must.
Rome is also hot in summer but much more manageble.
food is awesome, italians are a lot of fun, laid back and easy going. Don't expect American standards in anything but that does not mean it is not great.

My first choice for a first trip to Europe is Paris. It is the most beautiful, complete, awesome city in Europe. There are many close seconds, but nothing is like Paris.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Paris (France) is a possibility. Please elaborate on why select Paris over Santorini (Greece), Venice, Florence, and Rome (Italy) for a first visit to Europe?

Food is expensive in Italy. But then food is expensive in most European destinations relative to the U.S. and Asia. How about France and Greece?
Old Sep 30, 2007, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Why not do both Venice, Athens, and Santorini?

Do VCE first, then fly to ATH via Alpi Eagles:

http://www.alpieagles.com/?lang=EN

Spend a day or so in ATH, then fly down to JTR (Santorini) via Aegean Air.

Aegean is partners with LH, and I you can earn DL miles with Alpi Eagles.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fykodha
Paris (France) is a possibility. Please elaborate on why select Paris over Santorini (Greece), Venice, Florence, and Rome (Italy) for a first visit to Europe?

Food is expensive in Italy. But then food is expensive in most European destinations relative to the U.S. and Asia. How about France and Greece?
Most places in Europe, during the summer months, are expensive. At 1.5 $ for euro, you will be hard pressed to find a great place at a bargain price.
Your first trip to Europe is not about cheap places.
Don't shop too much, avoid taxis and take buses, metro or walk, avoid fancy restaurants and expensive bars and stick to good neighborhood food, food courts in big department stores and pack your own lunch eating in parks.
Paris is awesome. Arguably the best food, the best museums, the most charm, the best architecture, the most nightlife, the most variety and the best sample of what the "old world" is all about.
I am sure many people will disagree and give you tons of examples of great places but Paris is the one city the screams --- EUROPE.
Enjoy
Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:45 am
uk1
Suspended

If you're fighting to $/Euro rate then a starting point is to give an extra mark to cities that are strong university cities because they'll be great facilities and places to eat aimed at students. In another thread Vienna is discussed and this is a good example of a city that is considered by many to be an expensive city but is in fact very inexpensive if you know where to eat and stay. For example in many of the business areas in central Vienna fixed pricethree course lunch menues are avialble for around 6 or 7 Euros.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Another destination is Paris (France). When it comes to Paris I think of food and Eiffel Tower.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Please give your most recent experience. Greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:43 pm
In memoriam

Spent ten days in Madrid last Summer. First time there.

I was greatly impressed. Great food. And three really impressive museums. Remarkable architecture.

It's not Paris. But, in some ways, that's a plus. I'd certainly go back to Madrid.

By the way, also liked Barcelona--but the street crime is a big, big problem in BCN.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Chooses not to participate in FlyerTalk any longer because of objection to homophobic comments and lack of concern by staff.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/only-...policy-ft.html

Last edited by inyourvillages; May 3, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.