Reload this Page >

The ultimate Krakow, Poland (Cracow) guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate Krakow, Poland (Cracow) guide

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Sas EuroBonus, Thon Hotels Discovery Gold.
Thanks for your reply Wojciechm.
I will be sure to chek out the markets next time I visit Cracow, such an interesting city.
I did the Auschwitz II - Birkenau tour with a company called SuperCracow, full day, but still felt a bit rushed, will go on my own next time.
The Oskar Schindlers Factory was very crowded on the day I visit, so instead I went for a nice walk in the Kazimierz neighbourhood where some parts of the movie was filmed.
kokonutz likes this.

Last edited by JustGo; Jul 9, 2019 at 1:33 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
The ultimate Krakow, Poland (Cracow) guide by Jason8612

Mods please sticky this
This is a work in progress I'm working on this between my free time (which lately is a lot)

I'm going to write all about Krakow, Poland. If anyone has any additional info, please let me know so I can add it. Stole some topics from other posts (thanks Kiwi Flyer). also a lot of information you can read up on wikipedia. I'll try not to repeat too much,

This is also from MY point of view, what I think is worth while seeing, eating, etc.
If you have any questions, please PM me. If you ever would like to meet up in Krakow, let me know! I would love to show the city.

Introduction

Krakow is a city in Poland. It is the second largest and one of the oldest cities in Poland. It used to be the capital of Poland until 1596 and just celebrated its 750 year birthday (last summer). This city is full of many historical landmarks clashed with modern life. It is a growing tourist city on the Top 10 cities in Europe to visit.

Where is Krakow
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...aps/pl-map.gif
its on the bottom there

When to visit? Climate/weather
Personally it depends.
Summer time is the best, but during this time plane tickets are expensive, up to 3x the amount then during fall-spring. Also a lot of other tourists are here during the summer months, and school is out. Streets are crowded, but the climate is very nice.
I enjoy either fall or really late spring. During this time, all the students are in school, families working, and the climate is still nice enough to enjoy. Plus it is a lot less crowded. Plane tickets are also a lot more affordable including hotels, etc. May is a great time to visit. Last year during May it was about 75F and sunny. Beginning of May there is a holiday, and during this time everyone wants to leave Poland (Don t try to drive to Prague for instance. Last year we spent almost 2hrs at the boarder. So many Polish tourists...) Also Krakow during the months of May/June usually have weekend celebrations with some shows, booths set up. Nice time to visit.
Winter is also nice. For the Christmas holidays, there are also a lot of booths setup, local foods, etc which is nice in addition to the old town being dressed up for the holiday season. I would say 2nd week of December to after Christmas. But it could get chilly. Last year was a mild winter. We had some snow, and it was cold, but not too cold (40F-50F) but the year before that in Feb was -30C for about a week.

If you are on a tight budget, I would recommend April/May or October-December (December for the holidays, October while its still somewhat nice outside to go site seeing)
If not, more summer months June-September are good. the later the better. Be warned lately we had humidity. Krakow never has humidity (or much of it) but this summer was real bad and many places do not have A/C, or they do and are nowhere good enough to cool it down to a nice cold temperature.

Getting to Krakow (including getting from airport to city)
To get from the airport into the city, there are a few options.
Taxi - The easiest, but a bit expensive, around 60-90pln one way.

Train - there is a express train that leaves every 30min that goes to the main train station in the city. Journey time is around 20min. Tickets are around 8pln (from what I can recall) and can be purchased at the airport or on the train (though on the train I believe only takes Polish coins as payment) Then from there either a walk or a short cab ride to your place.

Bus - There are buses that go to/from the airport (292 and 208 I believe) and costs 2.5pln. It will take a hr or longer. Remember you have to buy a seperate ticket for your bag.

I would recommend the train method if you have little luggage, or else a cab.

Immigration and Customs
Krakow is in the EU Schengen so EU laws apply. Items brought for commercial use get charged duty, but otherwise noone really checks at the baggage claim...

getting around Krakow
There are many ways to get around Krakow
Taxis – Taxis are affordable in Krakow. They start at 5PLN, and the rates are posted on the windows. Be warned. Check the tariff and see that it matches up. some taxis as a foreigner will try to rip you off by putting you in tariff 4 on a weekday. If I can recall, tariff 1 is Mon-Fri 8am-10pm inside Krakow, tariff 2 is Sat/Sun and nights inside Krakow. And tariff 3 and 4 are same as 1 and 2 respectively but outside Krakow. example is coming from the airport to Krakow can cost as little at 45PLN on a weekday afternoon, or as much as 100PLN+ on a weekend night. Inside the city, average is 20PLN or so.

Trams/buses – Trams and buses are a great way to get around the city. You can purchase a single fare 2.50PLN adult, 1.35PLN under 26. If you switch trams/buses, you need a new ticket. schedules and route maps can be found at http://www.mpk.krakow.pl/
http://www.mpk.krakow.pl/index.php?idp=1001+1320
Bus schedules - http://www.rda.krakow.pl/en/

If you need any help, please PM me. Tickets can be bought at almost any local store, kiosk, and even on the trams and buses. But if you stay inside the city, majority you can walk to places. Also I would recommend the trams/buses instead of taxis in the morning and evenings on weekdays as rush hour traffic can be very bad.

Rent a car
At the airport and in town there are rent-a-cars. Please be advised its all manual here. Gas is expensive around 4.5PLN or more per Liter. and renting is also expensive. Budget, Sixt, Auto Europe, Avis, Hertz, National, Acecar, Europcar are all here. I would not get a rental unless you plan to go outside the city. And in which case, I would recommend renting and dropping at the airport and not to drive in town. Just take the train to the airport, grab the rental and go! The A4 highway is right there, and there is no need to drive into town.

To add to this the city has Zones. Zones A, B, and C. zone C you can park but need to pay for parking at certain times. You can get a parking paid ticket at some stores or from the patrol (the guys in the bright yellow jackets) Zone B is almost all of old town. The main post office and inwards. If you get caught, its a hefty fine. Only certain cares and taxis can drive, and there are certain parking places, but if you miss them, the police can ticket you, and usually they are expensive (25PLN/hr or more) Zone A is off limits. Only to VIP, ambulances, police, etc. Thats the town square and a few side streets. Commercial vehicles do come in before 10am.
If you get pulled over by a cop, don't worry. Out here in Poland they believe in bribes. I cannot guarantee any of this, but usually the cop will just name their own price. You can haggle a bit, but be careful. I think the average is 100-150PLN for speeding. If the Strasz Meska (the city police, a lot different than the police) pulls you over, they don't bargain. you can though basically get out of everything BUT drinking/driving. the limit is 0. (some places 0.3..lower than the USA 0.8)

Currency
Is the Polish Zloty/Groszy (PLN). Bill wise there are 10,20,50,100,200 Zloty. Coins are 5 Zloty,
2 Zloty, 1 Zloty, 50 Groszy, 20 Groszy, 10 Groszy, 5 Groszy, 2 Groszy, 1 Groszy. 1 USD = 2.8 Zloty (Easy to round to 3) 1 GBP = 5.7 Zloty (easiest to 6 Zloty) 1 Euro = 3.8 Zloty (easiest to 4) 100 Groszy in 1 Zloty. 1 PLN=1 Zloty
A recommendation. I would not get anything over a 50 zloty. Kiosks and cabs might not have change. I have found issues where a cab can not break a 50 zloty. Also Groszy under 20 are useless. Example is 1 Groszy is almost 1/3 of a penny.
Also, I would pay almost everywhere by card. You usually get the best rate, and don't have to worry about carrying too much cash. But if you want to change money, the banks are good. Currency exchanges in the old town are a rip-off. The farther from the town square, the better. Also, some places do take the Euro, but usually their exchange rate is crap.

Paying
Most places do take credit cards these days. Visa/Mastercard/Eurocard/Maestro are almost everywhere. American Express is only taken at some places, not most (not like the USA where its almost everywhere) and Diners Club/JCB even less. Also some places have a minimum spending of 15PLN.
Cash is accepted everywhere. NO CHECKS! Even the banks don't take checks.
You can cash in travelers cheques, but credit cards are so much easier to use.

Phones
Mobile phone wise, there are 4 major companies
Orange, Era, Plus, and Play
Out of all of them I really like Orange. they got good rates. All offer prepaid plans. You can top-up anywhere basically, even ATMs. Just put the SIM card into your GSM phone and your good to go. Calling mobile to mobile can range from 35groszy/min to 70groszy/min. Calling foreign countries are a bit more, up to 3-5zloty/min. Incoming is free (usually). If you like to call mobile to foreign countries, I would recommend getting a prepaid phone card to call other countries and calling their number from your cell. You can buy cheap cards to call the USA/Canada/EU. Telepin is one. You can buy these also almost anywhere. I just make a speed dial for instance number-pause-card code-pause-USA home phone and I just press 1 button and it does it all for me. Quite simple. Land lines are expensive and so are public phone booths (which you don't see much these days). If you want internet via mobile, its expensive at 10 groszy/10kB. There are many hotspots around the city and also internet cafes, with cheap computer usage and some do offer internet calls to foreign countries.

2011 update You can buy prepaid data sim cards and modems from retailers. Play has the best internet rate at 19PLN for 1GB with sim or 220PLN for 1GB with sim and modem. It only works in major cities (3G only) Orange, Era and Plus offer prepaid internet (but at a higher cost)

where to stay
There are many small hotels to stay at.

Sheraton Krakow - Very nice hotel right next to Wawel (castle) They have also private cars, sports bar, restaurant, and a bar. Breakfasts are good.

Radisson Blu- Next to Filharmonia (concert hall) - Also a very nice hotel with great Thurs-Sat dinner buffets.

Amadeus - Small local hotel, very nice

Likus Hotels - http://hotel.com.pl/
~Hotel Stary - One of the nicest hotels in Krakow. Right in the city square
~Hotel Copernicus - One of the nicest hotels in Krakow, very close to the city square
~Hotel Pod Roza - A nice hotel right in the city square

Holiday Inn - Nice hotel located close to the town center.

Andel's - Located right next to the train station. New moden nice hotel. Part of Summit Hotels.

Park Inn Krakow - Located on the other side of the river, but close to town. 20min walk. Can't recommend it as I never stayed there or been there.

A good site is booking.com which seems to have many hotels in Krakow. Just be sure to Google map it to know exactly how far it is from the old town.

restaurants
There are many, many restaurants in the city worth to check out. Theres just too many to list them all. If your looking for anything in particular, post a reply or PM me and I will be happy to give some recommendations! Almost any cuisine you can find in this city and usually at a excellent price!

some of my top favorites

Leonardo's - Excellent Italian restaurant. Great fresh fish, pastas and meat dishes. Restauracja "Leonardo" w Krakowie

Zen - A restaurant that has great sushi and Asian dishes http://www.zensushi.pl/

Hawelka - A classic Polish resturant over 150 years old. Classic Polish dishes. Restauracja Hawe?ka

Szara - Great European food, nice atmosphere.
http://www.szara.pl/

2011 update
Pod Baranem - great Polish food

Genji - best sushi in the city

Edo - another tasty sushi / Japanese restaurant

Balaton - Great Hungarian food. Got to try the potato pancakes with gulash.

Hard Rock Cafe - Excellent burgers. Also a place to get my American food fix

Aperitif - a great lunch spot (with a nice lunch menu)

Pimiento Kazimierz - Excellent Argentina beef. Steaks made the way they should be. I would say best steaks in the city.

Wesele - A good Polish restaurant with nice main courses.

Pubs/bars and clubs
There are hundreds of pubs,bars, and clubs in Krakow. It is a student city, so theres always a place to go out to relax and have fun. Theres just too many to list. If your looking for anything in particular, post a reply or PM me and I will be happy to give some recommendations!

some places I enjoy are
Paparazzi - a bar/pub with a nice atmosphere and great cocktails
Scandale Royale - a bar with great snacks and excellent cocktails

Cien Club - Probably the best known club in Krakow. Strict door selection, a bit older crowd (23 or so). Nice VIP section (though lately its been getting crowded) with dance/euro music. They have 3 bars, 2 dance floors, a lot of seating and a cloak room. Also a outside beer garden when it is warm. Klub Cie? - Cie? Klub | Imprezy w Krakowie | ?w.Jana 15 | Kraków Rynek | Najlepszy Klub w Krakowie

Frantic - A popular club, which was remodeled a year ago.

2011 update
One lounge/club - Located in the rynek they have nice seating and fancy interior. good drinks

Coco - a new club with modern interior, clean look and great drinks. They usually have Fridays a over 30 party (for the older crowd)

Laundry
Frania Cafe - Not too far from the train station (a few tram stops). Nice place where you can do all your laundry (self service) for a flat fee and relax there with a drink. [recommended by a fellow FTer]

Other websites to look at
http://www.cracow-life.com/
Thanks for all information! If you are still continuing writing "The ultimate Krakow, Poland (Cracow) guide" I can help you If you will visit our city again, we can meet for a cup of coffee - here you can find me https://www.krakowtourguide.pl/
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up Must see

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Great, my type of city. Can you recommend any must see & do things for a few guys there for 2 nights. Nights we want to taste the nightlife (no clubs, just bars) days see the culture and maybe do some activities.
In two days you can see a lot og attractions, because Krakow is pretty small city. For sure Salt Mine, Kazimierz Quarter, Vistula Boulevards (take a river tour), Wawel. For those who have more free time I recommend visit Zakopane (Tatry Mountains).
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:45 am
Suspended

Arrow

Or here you can find more attractions https://auschwitzbooking.com/whereto...ons-in-krakow/
Old May 4, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Is there any news on when the mandatory 14 day quarantine will expire, so that visitors won't need to face quarantine, and when travel may resume?
Old May 5, 2020, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Is there any news on when the mandatory 14 day quarantine will expire, so that visitors won't need to face quarantine, and when travel may resume?
I haven't heard anything on when the mandatory 14 day quarantine will end. Flights are still suspended out of Poland. there is some mention of May 15th for flights being resumed, but there is a high chance of it getting postponed again.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I am leaving next week for two weeks in Poland (Wroclaw, Oswiecim, Krakow, and Gdansk) and plan to use public transport as much as possible, but if the need arises, should I use Uber or Bolt? I already have an Uber account, but will need to open a Bolt account too if it is recommended.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by boxo
I am leaving next week for two weeks in Poland (Wroclaw, Oswiecim, Krakow, and Gdansk) and plan to use public transport as much as possible, but if the need arises, should I use Uber or Bolt? I already have an Uber account, but will need to open a Bolt account too if it is recommended.
Actually, I've found FREENOW to be best, have all 3 and shop around.
boxo likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 9:57 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Freenow and Bolt work well. I have all 3 and compare prices between the apps when I'm ordering (as prices vary between apps). I noticed Bolt and Freenow to be cheaper than Uber.
boxo likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:23 am

Programs: AA, UA.
is Senior discount for PKP intercity apply to everyone over 60 (even foreign)?
Going to book train from Krakow to Gdansk and Gdansk to Warsaw, just want confirm it can be use.
Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2024, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by moon4fun
is Senior discount for PKP intercity apply to everyone over 60 (even foreign)?
Going to book train from Krakow to Gdansk and Gdansk to Warsaw, just want confirm it can be use.
Thanks!
Honestly, I cannot answer your question definitively (hopefully someone else can!), but in my experience those type of discounts in other countries (e.g. Senior, Veterans, etc.) do not usually extend to foreign citizens/non-residents. But who knows, maybe in Poland they do.

I can tell you this, having spent some time in Krakow last spring, transit is literally some of the cheapest in the world, so even without a discount you will get a very good deal.

Regards
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA.
Agree. Couple year ago when we buy train ticket either Bratislava or Brno. The ticket agent even offers senior ticket to one of us over 65+.
Same when buy ticket in Portugal too.

Thanks for your reply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.