Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas for 10 year anniversary

Ideas for 10 year anniversary

Old Jul 2, 07, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Ambassador
Question Ideas for 10 year anniversary

So, my wife and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary next year. I want to use AA miles for business class tickets to Europe. My wife has never been to Europe before. I've been to Copenhagen (5 days), London (lots of times), Paris (1.5 days), and Amsterdam (1.5 days). We're thinking of spending 7 days upon arrival due to childcare issues. Thoughts include: Italy, Spain, London/Paris combo. Any other ideas I should consider? We don't want to spend much time driving around or between cities. Spending time in 2 cities over the 7 days sounds plausible. I have Hilton & SPG status but am not tied down to any specific properties. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old Jul 2, 07, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
hands down..... 10th aniversary..... never been to Europe..... You must take her to Paris and you could do a Eurostar trip to London or Amsterdam (only if you must). Otherwise maybe Paris and then down to the Riviera for a couple of days.
Arguably, Paris is the most romantic "big city" in Europe.
Old Jul 2, 07, 11:34 pm

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Paris is an excellent suggestion, but you might want to consider some other alternatives.

A combination of Florence and Venice might be worth considering. These are two amazing cities with lots to see, yet much more manageable in size than Paris. However, I would not recommend this combination in August because of the huge crowds.

Madrid is great and it has some amazing museums.

Rome is fantastic.

There are lots of great choices available. It really depends on your interests and whether you want to spend an intimate week together in a romantic location or have a fun week shopping, sightseeing, and so on.

Cheers,
T.
Old Jul 2, 07, 11:45 pm

If she's never been to Europe, take her to London and Paris. She'll probably enjoy seeing all the museums, art and architecture that she's heard about for years.

Since it's a big one, do something corny, yet romantic for your anniversary... have dinner on top of the Eiffel Tower or buy her flowers from a street vendor along the Seine.

And fly via Paris so you can avoid LHR and take the Eurostar.
Old Jul 3, 07, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caleo View Post
If she's never been to Europe, take her to London and Paris. She'll probably enjoy seeing all the museums, art and architecture that she's heard about for years.

Since it's a big one, do something corny, yet romantic for your anniversary... have dinner on top of the Eiffel Tower or buy her flowers from a street vendor along the Seine.

And fly via Paris so you can avoid LHR and take the Eurostar.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking. I was planning to fly into LHR and out of CDG to avoid the LHR hassle.
Old Jul 3, 07, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Seven days is not too much time to spend in one place. Of course, it would depend on what you like to do together. Personally, I like to avoid packing up and moving around after I get somewhere, especially if it took a lot of time and effort to get there.

My vote is Paris. If you're the antsy types that can't stay still for more than 3 days, then London is a blast. But, Paris is so filled with romantic possibilities that I can't imagine not spending at least part of a significant anniversary there.

Oh, and congratulations.
Old Jul 4, 07, 5:08 am
iff

TWA Guy, what time of year will you be going? That may make a difference as well...
Old Jul 4, 07, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Trip would be in July 2008
Old Jul 4, 07, 8:22 am

Next year, for my 10 yr anniversary, I'm looking at Venice (3 days) and Florence (2 or 3 days). Not as much time as I'd like, but it'll do.

If your wife isn't an experienced traveller, definitely limit a 7 day trip to 2 cities (max). Of the cities you mentioned that you've travelled to, Paris is the only one that jumps out.
Old Jul 4, 07, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TWA Guy View Post
Trip would be in July 2008
Paris is sometimes warm in summer. I would choose a hotel with aircondition. Not all hotels have a/c, even a better hotel may not have it.
Summer is great for side trips to Giverny (Monet's hanging out place), Reims (champagne region) and Versailles. The parks inside Paris are great and very romantic. Great for a couple of pique-niques.
The only drawback of a big city Europe in summer is the gazillion tourists but full or empty, summer or winter, Paris is amazing. Very long days, warms evenings and the sun sets at 930 to 10 pm.
If you are planning on traveling beyond Paris, I would make train reservations ahead of time, especially if you are not flexible. Summers are busy.
Do you have enough miles for award flights?
Old Jul 4, 07, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keisari View Post
Do you have enough miles for award flights?
Yes, I have enough for 2 business class tickets on AA. Thanks for the feedback!
Old Jul 5, 07, 10:40 am

Programs: CO Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Priority Club Gold
I would vote for Venice and Rome. Venice is such a unique city, and neither of you have been there before so it will be new and exciting for both of you. I will always remember walking into St Marks square with my wife for the first time because we were both so dumbfounded at the beauty of the basillica. There are also corny things like the Rialto Bridge and gondola rides. There are also plenty of SPG properties, most of which are in fantastic locations.
In Rome, there is opportunity for memorable experiences such as private tours of the Vatican (Im not even Catholic and it was still awesome to be alone with my wife in the Sistine Chapel before the museum opened), lunch in Piazza Navona, throwing coins into Trevi fountain, etc.

Rome is also very convenient for doing a day trip to Florence. Non stop train takes only an hour and a half.

drnp
Old Jul 5, 07, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
What a guy, sounds heavenly!

I think London/Paris is a tremendous idea but let me throw out another idea just for fun.....how about combo Munich/Salzburg?
Old Jul 14, 07, 6:35 am

10th anniversary

Madrid is beautiful - full of flowers, fountains & parks. Visited museums and the Royal Palace. Then we went to Mallorca. Wonderful climate. Enjoyed golf at Alcanada. Hotel Son Julia is true luxury in Llucmajor, Mallorca.
Old Jul 15, 07, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PA Penny View Post
Madrid is beautiful - full of flowers, fountains & parks. Visited museums and the Royal Palace. Then we went to Mallorca. Wonderful climate. Enjoyed golf at Alcanada. Hotel Son Julia is true luxury in Llucmajor, Mallorca.
This sounds perfect. I was going to suggest Madrid for some culture, and either Mallorca or Marbella for some relaxation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: