Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Interesting places for a 1 1/2-2 day visit.

Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:49 am
Original Poster

I have a few mid-week (Wednesday afternoon- Friday night) days left to take a trip in either March or April and wanted some suggestions on places either in the UK or Europe that'd be great to visit.

I'm a relatively cultured 19 year old (20 in a month) and have seen the following cities:
Nice, Bordeaux, Le Harve, Paris, Barcelona, Seville, Madrid, Malaga, Gibraltar, Marakeech, Fez, Amsterdam, Den Haag, Milan, Rome, Venice, Pompeii, Naples, Monaco, Frankfurt, Munich, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Prague, Mallorca, Brussels, Luxembourg, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Oslo, Stockholm, Tallin, St. Petersburg. I've already booked trips including: PRague, Vienna, Budapest, Krakow, Lisbon and Zurich.

Basically by the 20th birthday i'll have seen every western european country (save Andorra) and almost every eastern country. I would love to see more before I head back to the US for university in May.

In the UK:
Most of the Southeast and Southwest, London, Cork, Dublin, Edinburgh, Glasgow. I'm thinking of tying to see either Liverpool or Manchester for the day when my friend visits for my birthday. Any UK suggestions?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 2:47 pm

In the UK, Wells is a lovely town, good for one day.

I looked over your list and saw Bologna in Italy missing. It's one of my favorites, easy to do in one day. GREAT food! Neat university. Lots of young people around.

You haven't seen Berlin, according to your list, but that could take more than one day. I also think Salzburg in Austria, birthplace of Mozart, is very cool and totally doable in one day.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slhart
In the UK, Wells is a lovely town, good for one day.

I looked over your list and saw Bologna in Italy missing. It's one of my favorites, easy to do in one day. GREAT food! Neat university. Lots of young people around.

You haven't seen Berlin, according to your list, but that could take more than one day. I also think Salzburg in Austria, birthplace of Mozart, is very cool and totally doable in one day.
Awesome, thanks. I was looking for some more passport stamps. I think i'll look into Salzburg (i probably can get there direct on BA). I was going to do berlin tomorrow but it's a LITTLE too cold!

Any other suggestions?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Awesome, thanks. I was looking for some more passport stamps. I think i'll look into Salzburg (i probably can get there direct on BA). I was going to do berlin tomorrow but it's a LITTLE too cold!

Any other suggestions?
Salzburg would be even colder than Berlin but definitely worth a trip especially during winter - has really a special atmosphere then.

Two other suggestions:

Ljubljana - really nice, a hidden gem and a stay of one and a half day would even allow you to do interesting trips from there.

Graz - a beautiful midsized town, definitely worth to see and an excellent opportunity to do a trip to South Styria and taste some extraordinary wines.

If you would like to get some more hints just contact me.

Talenti
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:01 pm

Any other suggestions?
Ah, you were looking for more passport stamps! I love getting those too...

Well, I was originally going to suggest Iceland and Malta, but thought that might be a bit too far for you.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slhart
Ah, you were looking for more passport stamps! I love getting those too...

Well, I was originally going to suggest Iceland and Malta, but thought that might be a bit too far for you.
NOWHERE is too far ;-) I was considering going back to Greece.... but well I don't really want to. I may go to IST if i can find some daring friend to go with me!
Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:08 pm

Turkey is amazing! And pretty cheap, considering!
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Omni Gold, Hilton Gold, *Wood Gold
I can't believe I'm going to suggest this, but Bucharest may be an interesting choice. It is a city I'm glad I went to ONCE, but I will not be going back. However, since you've been almost eveywhere else in Europe, it may be an interesting trip.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
[QUOTE=WBurcham]Basically by the 20th birthday i'll have seen every western european country (save Andorra) and almost every eastern country. I would love to see more before I head back to the US for university in May.

Awesome, thanks. I was looking for some more passport stamps.
QUOTE]

You seem to be missing Switzerland, but I see you have Zurich coming up. You are still missing one. For stamp collectors I read you have to work to add Liechtenstein(but I am sure you can see it all in one day .) They do not have separate border but let the Swiss do it for them, you have to enter Switzerland and there is no control from there. For a passport stamp you have to go to city hall or somewhere and a clerk has a stamp for you collectors.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:16 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Flaflyer]
Basically by the 20th birthday i'll have seen every western european country (save Andorra) and almost every eastern country. I would love to see more before I head back to the US for university in May.

Awesome, thanks. I was looking for some more passport stamps.
QUOTE]

You seem to be missing Switzerland, but I see you have Zurich coming up. You are still missing one. For stamp collectors I read you have to work to add Liechtenstein(but I am sure you can see it all in one day .) They do not have separate border but let the Swiss do it for them, you have to enter Switzerland and there is no control from there. For a passport stamp you have to go to city hall or somewhere and a clerk has a stamp for you collectors.
Already done the research on it, seems as if it's about a 2 hour trip from ZRH. The nice people at their tourism ministry told me that the days I wanted to visit they'd be closed but told me where the alternative places were!
Old Mar 6, 2006, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Oporto? Lucerne? Heidelberg? Taormina?

Last edited by brendamc; Mar 6, 2006 at 6:09 pm
Old May 22, 2006, 7:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by talenti
Salzburg would be even colder than Berlin but definitely worth a trip especially during winter - has really a special atmosphere then.

Two other suggestions:

Ljubljana - really nice, a hidden gem and a stay of one and a half day would even allow you to do interesting trips from there.

Graz - a beautiful midsized town, definitely worth to see and an excellent opportunity to do a trip to South Styria and taste some extraordinary wines.

If you would like to get some more hints just contact me.

Talenti
Umm.. since thread is languishing.. yes, more hints please. Current plan for limited time is 1.5 days Prague, 2.5 days Vienna, 2.5 days Ljubljana. Flying into Prague, out of LJU, train from Prague to Vienna to Ljubljana. I love trains.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.