Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Layover in Zurich

Layover in Zurich

Old Sep 7, 05, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Layover in Zurich

I have an overnight in Zurich outbound flight and about six hours inbound.
Any ideas where to stay? Is it worthwhile going into town for shopping etc?
I would appreciate tips on transportation, money change etc.
Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 05, 2:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Originally Posted by merrygp
I have an overnight in Zurich outbound flight and about six hours inbound.
Any ideas where to stay? Is it worthwhile going into town for shopping etc?
I would appreciate tips on transportation, money change etc.
Thanks.
Welcome on FT

Of course it is worth it to go into the city. Zürich has an excellent public transportation system. As soon as you have passed customs just follow the blue signs showing a train. You'll find a ticket office where everyone speaks English. For the time where you'll stay overnight, get a 24 hour ticket, that will allow you to roam the city on trains, buses, trams and even certain boats on the lake and you'll be able to come back to the airport.

Zürich has much to offer, from strolling along the lake to museums, shopping, and just sightseeing in the old part of town. The airport is only 20 minutes by train from the central station and trains run almost every ten minutes.
The currency is the Swiss franc and the exchange today is roughly 1$ = 1.25 franc or 1 CHF = $ 0.81
Hotel prices range from $ 68.- to close to $ 4'000.-, so please, tell what you want to spend.
You can also PM me if you want more specific info.
Old Sep 7, 05, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K AC-MM BA-S HH-D IHG-Amb
There is great shopping on the Bahnhofstrasse (main street opposite the central train station in Zurich). But bring lots of cash because Zurich is not cheap. (Visa, MC, etc also accepted.)
--
13F

Last edited by Seat13F_AC_CRJ; Sep 7, 05 at 7:55 pm
Old Sep 8, 05, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply.
I am arriving around 7 pm or so (N/S from LAX). The next day flight leaves at 10 am for the far east. So, is it worth getting into town?
When do the shopping areas close?
That will decide whether or not I should go by train to the town.

I will have 2 bags. I was planning to put one in the airport luggage storage (isthere any?) and carry the overnigt into town on the train. I am not sure that they allow one to carry luggage of any kind in the train.
I am thinking that the hotels in town are a bit less expensive than the ones at the airport. I want to spend less than $100 for the hotel.
Would also appreciate help in locating eating places.
Thanks again.
<< merrygp >>
Old Sep 8, 05, 11:13 am

Programs: AC-SE100K AC-MM BA-S HH-D IHG-Amb
Lots of questions!

Don't bother going into town. Hotels are more expensive, in my opinion.
Shops close at approx 6pm, except on Thursdays when they are open 2-3 hrs longer.
There is airport storage of luggage -- near the train station. But you may want to try checking in for your onward flight either in LAX or when you arrive in Zurich.
You can carry large and small bags onto the trains. Most wagons have luggage racks at one end ot the other.
You should be able to find an airport hotel for sub-USD100. If you stay in Kloten, there are a few restaurants within 1-2 blocks of the Welcome Inn.
--
13F

Last edited by Seat13F_AC_CRJ; Sep 8, 05 at 11:21 am
Old Sep 8, 05, 12:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
To complete:
The majority of shops close at 6'30 PM. Large dept. stores at 8PM, 9PM on Thursdays.
Rates for hotels are going to be similar in the city or close to the airport. Without good knowledge of the transportation system around the airport, you might have to take a cab and that will cost you a bunch. So make sure you get a hotel with shuttle loke the Renaissance, Novotel, Mövenpick, airport hotel etc. Careful some let you pay up to CHF 15.-
A trip to the town is quick, hotels are much easier to find and almost all have a tram or bus station within 100 yards. You'll also find many good restaurants at good prices:
here one or two:
Italian: http://www.commercio.ch/restaurant/commihalle/
Australian: http://www.sengers.ch/izueri/restaur...ck/outback.asp
Swiss: http://www.sengers.ch/izueri/restaur...hauskeller.asp
Chines: Suan Long at the train station Stadelhofen (menus around CHF: 15.-)
Old Sep 8, 05, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heading there myself in 2 weeks for 2 days. something is happenin on 9/20 as the rates were NUTS. Orginally had a Point & Cash stay at the Sheraton Arebela across from the Hyatt. Then did a Priceline , 4 * Glattburg at $89 and got the Renaissance, the reg rate was 266 chf 2 days later the reg rate was 450 as only Special rooms were left. (Glattburg is the Airport area).

The Sheraton as gonna cost me $145 plus 8000, the Ren is $195 for the 2 nights all in w/fees. I figured Im better off spending $50 then the 8000 pts, and will get teh Zurich card for my transport at 15chf per day. It would have been nice being a block away from the Lake, but The Ren is suppose to be a great place and the Sher was nothing but a room and location.

There are Best Westerns near the Airport as well but doing Priceline was cheaper.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: