Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Itinerary Advice - Budapest/Krakow/Prague/Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2005, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PremEx, AA Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Help! Itinerary Advice - Budapest/Krakow/Prague/Vienna

Been reading the past threads on this but nothing directly on point. Have a couple of days to change my flights if need be, depending on how I structure this itinerary, therefore the urgency.

Wife and I are planning to go to Budapest, Vienna, Prague and REALLY want to add Krakow while we are over there. We have 12 days total. Seems like going from Budapest-Vienna-Prague makes sense in that direction, from at least a travel standpoint, and have flights into Budapest and out of Prague now. Plan on spending 3-4 days in Prague (w/Cesky Krumlov), 2-3 days in Budapest, and 2-3 days in Vienna - would leave about 2-3 days for Krakow.

Question: How far a train ride or drive is it from any of the above cities to Krakow? Does it pay to try to get a cheap roundtrip plane to Krakow instead to save the time? Would love to drive, especially since we want to go to Cesky Krumlov and, at least from postings here, seems like it is a pain to get there by train. Also would love to drive the countryside but afraid of the difficulties with renting a car and traveling between these countries (any opinions on this?). Any suggestions on how to plan this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. (I'll be sure to post a great trip report afterwards!!!)
Old Aug 11, 2005, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Originally Posted by raven
Been reading the past threads on this but nothing directly on point. Have a couple of days to change my flights if need be, depending on how I structure this itinerary, therefore the urgency.

Wife and I are planning to go to Budapest, Vienna, Prague and REALLY want to add Krakow while we are over there. We have 12 days total. Seems like going from Budapest-Vienna-Prague makes sense in that direction, from at least a travel standpoint, and have flights into Budapest and out of Prague now. Plan on spending 3-4 days in Prague (w/Cesky Krumlov), 2-3 days in Budapest, and 2-3 days in Vienna - would leave about 2-3 days for Krakow.

Question: How far a train ride or drive is it from any of the above cities to Krakow? Does it pay to try to get a cheap roundtrip plane to Krakow instead to save the time? Would love to drive, especially since we want to go to Cesky Krumlov and, at least from postings here, seems like it is a pain to get there by train. Also would love to drive the countryside but afraid of the difficulties with renting a car and traveling between these countries (any opinions on this?). Any suggestions on how to plan this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. (I'll be sure to post a great trip report afterwards!!!)

I've driven Krakow-Budapest and Prague-Krakow. Krakow-Budapest is a bit long, (I think i remember it being just over 8hrs, and the roads aren't amazing). Prague-Krakow has some nice scenery and its shorter (5-6hrs). All in all, I wouldn't discourage either drive, but it all depends on just how much you like driving.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:15 am

Programs: M&M Freq, BA, Emirates, KLM, CSA
Raven,

I lived in Krakow for a few years and I am now in Vienna. Krakow is a wonderful place and if you need more info on the town let me know.

I do a lot of driving in this region and the following is from first hand experience:

Prague – Vienna: 4 - 5 hours

Buda – Vienna: 3 Hours

Buda – Krakow: 7 – 8 hours. I thought the scenery was good, if not breathtaking, and enjoyed the drive.

Prague to Krakow: 5 hours

Vienna to Krakow: 5 – 6 hours

I know that Czech airlines fly into Krakow from Prague and Malev into Krakow from Budapest. There may also be some budget airlines doing these routes. SkyEurope is worth checking. LOT do some good deals via Warsaw.

Austrian Airlines fly from Vienna to Krakow as well, although often cheaper to buy the ticket on the LOT website. If you plan a side trip this would be the best one as OA fly 2/3 times a day to Krakow from Vienna so you can always get a convenient time.

I wouldn’t recommend travel by train, especially if you have a lot of luggage. Polish trains are still dangerous with pickpockets looking out for people laden with luggage arriving at Krakow station. They usually strike as the train arrives into the station and you are in the narrow corridor trying to get out. “Pick pocket” is actually the wrong word as quite often you know you are being robbed, but are powerless to stop it due to the confined space. I did manage to get hold of one of them once….but that’s another story.

regards
J
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks J, sounds like the drive might be too long for my wife's liking (at least to do it roundtrip) and the train doesn't sound great either (especially spending 6 or more hours on the train). The flight option might work best as a side trip. Really want to just spend a day or two in Krakow and a day at the concentration camps outside the city. Not sure how much the countryside between Prague and Krakow would add to the trip. We could however go from Bud-Vienna-Prg-Krk and end the trip there. We just thought Prague would be a nicer place to end the trip for a relaxing 4 days (and not end it getting depressed at the concentration camps). Any advice on the trains between Bud and Vienna and Vienna and Prague? Easy/safe to drive this route? If we do not have a car, how easy will it be to get to some places like Cesky Krumlov? Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:02 pm

Thanks J, sounds like the drive might be too long for my wife's liking (at least to do it roundtrip) and the train doesn't sound great either (especially spending 6 or more hours on the train). The flight option might work best as a side trip. Really want to just spend a day or two in Krakow and a day at the concentration camps outside the city. Not sure how much the countryside between Prague and Krakow would add to the trip. We could however go from Bud-Vienna-Prg-Krk and end the trip there. We just thought Prague would be a nicer place to end the trip for a relaxing 4 days (and not end it getting depressed at the concentration camps). Any advice on the trains between Bud and Vienna and Vienna and Prague? Easy/safe to drive this route? If we do not have a car, how easy will it be to get to some places like Cesky Krumlov? Thanks.

I wouldn’t worry about the countryside as its all motorway in Czech and then some poor roads in Poland. Probably the best section of drive would be Prague to Polish border. It is beautiful, but not stunning. There is a long stretch of roadworks just after the Polish border, single lane road for about 50k, frustrating as you always get stuck behind a bus or lorry.

There are trains between Vie and Prague, but they are no faster than the car. I think a train is also available from Bud to Vie but the car is definitely faster for that trip. It’s good motorway all the way and will take a maximum 3 hours.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about finishing in Krakow, in my opinion it’s a far more relaxed place to finish than Prague, which in August is packed with tourists. Krakow has tourists too, but not like Prague. You do not feel like you are part of one big tourist trap in Krakow. Krakow is obviously smaller but has a fantastic rynek (market square) full of cafes where you can sit outside and enjoy a beer. The Jewish district of Krakow (Kazimierz) is also very chilled and relaxed. Prague is much more spread out, but just feels crowded everywhere.
The concentration camps are about an hours drive from Krakow. Easy by car or from a coach trip organised by the hotels. Auschwicz has the museum, the guides and the exhibits, but the bigger camp is Birkenau about 1km away. It is in ruins but untouched, and for me much more shocking. I suggest you visit the camps first then spend a couple of days in Krakow.

The route you suggest would work, and driving is not unsafe in any of the countries. The countryside is ok, if not stunning. Not sure how you would get to Cesky Krumlov without a car.

If you do plan to drive into Poland and are renting the car from any of the other countries it is very important you make sure Rental Company is aware the car will be going to Poland. If you are renting in Vienna AVIS, Hertz, Sixt all allow it, but will charge extra insurance (about $60). They will not however let you take a BMW, VW or Audi into former eastern bloc countries so you will have to take a Ford or Opel.

Budget and one or two others will not allow cars to be taken into Poland.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 12:55 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Does it pay to try to get a cheap roundtrip plane to Krakow instead to save the time? Any suggestions on how to plan this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. (I'll be sure to post a great trip report afterwards!!!)
We're going to Krakow and Prague in 2 weeks. Just to give you a general idea, we booked an open jaw from Krakow to Warsaw (afternoon walking tour and overnight at airport hotel) The next morning to Prague. Cost was $167 per person. This is on LOT, and we booked it on the UA web site.

AFAIK, Czech Airlines has one direct flight a day between Prague and Krakow. It was over $300 for that, so we decided on seeing Warsaw a little for the price difference.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChgoBob
We're going to Krakow and Prague in 2 weeks. Just to give you a general idea, we booked an open jaw from Krakow to Warsaw (afternoon walking tour and overnight at airport hotel) The next morning to Prague. Cost was $167 per person. This is on LOT, and we booked it on the UA web site.

AFAIK, Czech Airlines has one direct flight a day between Prague and Krakow. It was over $300 for that, so we decided on seeing Warsaw a little for the price difference.
So you are flying between each city, no rental cars or trains at all? Just curious, how many days are you spending in Krakow and Prague?
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:22 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, USAir CP
I've taken the train from Vienna to Krakow and remember it as being exteremly long (10+ hours?) and very uncomfortable. For those prices, buy the plane ticket
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:29 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
So you are flying between each city, no rental cars or trains at all? Just curious, how many days are you spending in Krakow and Prague?
We're flying directly into Krakow from ORD on Lot. Later 2PM arrival, so 5 nights and 4 days in Krakow, one afternoon and night in Warsaw, then 4 days/nights in Prague. We leave Prague back to ORD via Copenhagen. No cars on this trip, nor trains.

Like you we considered Vienna and Budapest, but the logistics of getting around and back and forth, night trains, etc, made us go for just these cities for this trip. It got to be too much travelling, much higher costs, too many languages, and too many different currencies.

Besides, now we have a good excuse to go back!
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by ChgoBob
We're flying directly into Krakow from ORD on Lot. Later 2PM arrival, so 5 nights and 4 days in Krakow, one afternoon and night in Warsaw, then 4 days/nights in Prague. We leave Prague back to ORD via Copenhagen. No cars on this trip, nor trains.

Like you we considered Vienna and Budapest, but the logistics of getting around and back and forth, night trains, etc, made us go for just these cities for this trip. It got to be too much travelling, much higher costs, too many languages, and too many different currencies.

Besides, now we have a good excuse to go back!
You have picked the best 2 cities out of the 4 in my opinion, although it’s close between Vienna and Prague. Budapest I would miss out too.

Be prepared to see thousands of your fellow Americans in Prague!
Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:41 am

Programs: DL FO, US SP, SPG G, HH S, PC PLT
Budapest-Prague-Munich

We are traveling in Late October-Novmeber to these three cities. We have only seven nights and the train travel looks to be long for a short distance. We have not travel on an overtrain in Europe, so not sure what to expect. We are traveling by plane with miles as the time is limited. The budapest-prague train ride was 7 hours and the day is gone.
We could not find a low fare carrier for routes. Do you think at this time is will be filled with tourists?

SCA
Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Take the Train, Its Europe

I am planning a trip, and for some of the mentioned cities. I consider that if it is 5 hours or less, the train is as fast as flying. (I don't plan to use a car, only trains.)

In these old cities of Europe, the train station is usually right next to the ring that used to be the wall of the Old part of town, where most of the tourist places and palaces and museums are. I find a grand old hotel often 100 yards from the train station (unless it is a "bad" part of town, then I stay further toward the city center).

To fly, you have to get to the airport, which may be 10 to 30 miles out of town, and costs time and maybe a taxi if the subway or bus does not go at a convenient time. Get there early for security. One hour flight. Reverse at other end. Elapsed time hotel to hotel, 5 hours easily.

Or, get up at a reasonable time, walk across the street with a ticket you prepurchased online before you went, catch an 8 AM train and you are at your next hotel at 1 PM.

Unlike airplanes, the trains Run On Time. In Germany they have non digital clocks, the ones that have a hand jump every minute. It still amazes me that when the clock ticks to the Arrival time, the nose of the engine is pulling into the station.

Stop at a little store between your hotel and the train, buy a loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and a hunk of cheese and you have a picnic while sightseeing out the window. You don't have to wait for the FA, its unlimited Self Serve.

You can check schedules online, and only use IC Inner City or ICE Inner City Express trains. These only stop at the big stations, while a regional train stops at every station. Often you can get a direct, with no changes, train.
OTOH, the ryanair prices are very close to train prices. On De Bahn, advance tickets are usually 1/2 price, which makes them really affordable.

Some of these cruise at 120 MPH or so. Almost as fast as the plane, but with a smooth as glass ride. No seatbelts needed.

No taxis, no parking fees, no lines, no weather delays. EZ travel. Just don't forget to book a no smoking car. It is Europe after all.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 12:58 am

I am working on a similar trip - I noticed SkyEurope only flys to Kosice from PRG. Are there any other budget airlines that fly to/from PRG?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.