Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many days to spend in Prague, Krakow and Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2004, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

How many days to spend in Prague, Krakow and Vienna

We have a ten day trip planned to Prague, Krakow and Vienna. Most of our travel will be on overnight trains, so we won't be losing days to travel. Right now we have scheduled almost 3 days in Prague, almost 4 days in Krakow, and 3 days in Vienna. I've heard really good things about Krakow, so we wanted to spend more time there.... but I am not wondering if we should cut a day off in Vienna and add it to Prague or Krakow (for even a day trip). I hear that the people in Vienna are cold and everything is expensive. What do you think? We were thinking about going for a daytrip on the Danube while in Vienna. We originally decidded not to go to Budapest, but maybe we should go there instead of Vienna. What do people think? Thanks for your help!

Old Mar 12, 2004, 3:14 pm

I haven't been to Krakow - but have heard it said that it's "pretty, but overrated".

I've never heard anyone say that people in Vienna are cold - certainly not my experience.

Unless you're planning to be in that part of the world soon I would include Budapest - definitely a place worth seeing. (I've been there twice, once last year and once on a back-packing trip in the old Communist days back in 1978... needless to say it was quite a different place back then!)
Old Mar 12, 2004, 5:04 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
I have been to all three, and I think you have picked an interesting and beautiful trip. My suggestion would be to take 1 day from Krakow and add it to Prague, which has considerably more to see and experience.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:15 pm

I agree with Phil. I will even say that you can shave another day from Krakow.
Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MSP2000:
I agree with Phil. I will even say that you can shave another day from Krakow.</font>
Agreed. Take that day, add it to Vienna but use the day to make a day trip to Bratislava - an easy expres train ride and you're back in Vienna that night. This way you get to experience one more country.

Old Mar 13, 2004, 1:18 am
uk1
Suspended

The Viennese are wonderful and friendly. They are cultured and traditional. They value good maners and consideration. Children and teenagers will stand up in trains to give their seats to older people. They value courtesy and hate noisy brash inconsiderate people.

Old Mar 15, 2004, 12:41 pm

I would spend a total of 2 days in Krakow - 1 full day in the city and the old ghetto, overnite , and then take a bus to Aushcwitz on day number 2 in Krakow, then back to Krakow at nite.

Dont know about Vienna - but 3 days in Prague is enough.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 8:33 am
uk1
Suspended

Sammy,

When are you going?

Old Mar 16, 2004, 8:43 am
Original Poster

I will be going in June. Why do you ask?
Old Mar 16, 2004, 8:53 am
Original Poster

sorry for the duplicate post.....

[This message has been edited by Sammy (edited Mar 16, 2004).]
Old Mar 17, 2004, 3:21 am
uk1
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sammy:
I will be going in June. Why do you ask?</font>
Well - because places like Vienna are completely different in Winter and Summer. Winter can be -20 and summer well into the swelter.

I'm there late June. We go every June and Every December. In case you're interested Cirque du Soleil are there for a lot of June.

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/Cirque...ion/vienna.htm

Also a great experience (perhaps the same day) - and assuming you're not a veggie is The Swiss House for the very best Budvar in the whole wide world and some wonderful pork knuckles.

http://www.schweizerhaus.at/1024/index.html

Also you can take the 38 tram up to Grinzing at lunch and sit in the garden of Martin Sepp - a Heurige.

Spend a lot of time in Vienna - it's just been voted the third best city in Europe to live in and this is a definite under-rate.

Post any more questions.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks UK1 for the advice. Will definitely look into Cirque De Soleil. But my husband is a vegetarian and I don't eat prok, so we will skip the other suggestion. I'll let you know if I have any more questions. Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:47 pm
uk1
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sammy:
Thanks UK1 for the advice. Will definitely look into Cirque De Soleil. But my husband is a vegetarian and I don't eat prok, so we will skip the other suggestion. I'll let you know if I have any more questions. Thanks!</font>
You will enjoy the area in front of the Rathausplatz (Townhall) where for some or all of June they have what is in effect a very large open air "food mall". A sort of "tables of the world" where you can all choose your own favourite food including veg, indian, chinese, italian etc and eat together.

Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:57 am

I agree with UK1--def. check out Grinzing..for the wine garten..esp. that time of year. It is mainly a street where everyone makes their own wine and serves it with food. It is so relaxing...Depending on how adventurous you are, you can rent a bicycle and bike out there...all of the Uban (train system) allows bikes....just ask them about it...almost everyone younger will speak english there..
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your great ideas uk1 and worldtraveler04. I will also be in Vienna during the last week of June.

[This message has been edited by Sammy (edited Mar 19, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.