Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice for 5 days --- what are the must sees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2004, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

I will be travelling to Venice on the 19th of this month for 5 days. Is there any must-see that I should focus on?
Old Feb 7, 2004, 7:33 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Of course you'll visit the main attractions, but to me Venice is a place to wander and get lost in. Roam around, see what you find, go through small alleys, just explore.

Some specifics though ... visit Murano; go in Santa Maria Assunta, a church with exquisite marble work including some that looks like damask curtains; also go in Santa Maria dei Miracoli in Cannaregio, an all-marble church that's like a little jewelry box inside. Do the touristy stuff too - a gondola ride in the evening (Venice looks very different from that level), St. Mark's, enjoy a drink while listening to the quartets in Piazzo San Marco. Have fun!
Old Feb 7, 2004, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will be at the height of Carnavale. Bring a camera, and have photos taken with the people in costume.

Carnavale is a crummy time for sight seeing, as the whole world decends and the city does not run full summer schedule.

Go see all the standard stuff in the guide books. Go to Ca' Rezzonico if you like old stuff.

Bring a compass. Get a map. Walk from P. le Roma to Salute. from San Marco to Fondamenta Nuoveo. From the train station to San Marco, etc.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 4:46 pm

I agree that in addition to seeing the usual tourist highlights such as St. Mark's Sq., the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs, Rialto, the Campinile, etc., that you should take time to just wander through Venice. Get a map if you want, but most likely you find it to be useless as the city is utterly a maze, even with a map. But, that is part of what makes it so charming. Leave plenty of time to get from one place to another because undoubtedly, you'll get lost and it'll take you much longer than you anticipate.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Great! Thank you for all your ideas and suggestions. How about restuarant? Any particular eatery I should try out when I am there?
Old Feb 8, 2004, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Squirrel:
Great! Thank you for all your ideas and suggestions. How about restuarant? Any particular eatery I should try out when I am there?</font>
Two restaurants I always return to are:
Fiaschetteria Toscana (near Rialto Bridge). Great seafood. Reservations essential. Ask for a table downstairs.
Vino De Gigio (in Cannaregio). Reasonably-priced, great home cooking. Reservations definitely advised
I'll think of more later. Agree with other posters about just wandering around Venice. Explore all of the Sestieres (districts), especially Canarregio and Castello. Also, Dorsoduro and San Paulo.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Squirrel:
Great! Thank you for all your ideas and suggestions. How about restuarant? Any particular eatery I should try out when I am there?</font>

Try restorante giorgione in Castello. If you go in the evening, you will have to reserve well in advance. Ask for a table in the front room. Lucio sings every night. The food is as fresh as it gets.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:29 am

Programs: Level 5 Kayaker
. . . Any particular eatery I should try out when I am there?</font>
Suggestions:

Al Covo (Castello; campiello della Pescaria): romantic, impeccible food and service

Osteria Al Mascaron (Castello; calle Lunga Santa Maria Formosa) loud, lively, and fun

Da Remigio (Castello; salizzada dei Greci) calm, reliable kitchen, few tourists

for lunch: Taverna San Trovaso (Dorsoduro; fondamenta Priuli) very popular, so arrive before they open the doors at noon; good seppie in nero

neighborhood bar: Cantina del Vino (Dorsoduro; fondamenta Nani)

In general, avoid any place with menus in English, German, Japanese, etc. posted outside.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 3:09 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Go to Vicenza .

I would hit the Querini Stampalia Foundation building designed by Carlos Scarpa. That is pretty cool.

I like the Guggenheim too.

lala
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:24 am

For a quiet get away I like to spend time at San Francesco del Deserto.I had a Franciscan friend "stationed" here and always enjoyed the quiet.

The Cemetery Island San Michele is a good visit. Torcello is my favorite of the islands.

Aside from Vicenza, Padova is an excellent trip. Aquilea is a bit harder to get to, but the mosaics are fantastic.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
Where are you staying? There is a Best Western right near St. Marks Square which is incredibly priced for the location with a great breakfast - I can still taste the fresh bread (delicious complimentary breakfast)!

Also, a fun, but maybe a wee bit pricey, locale is heading over to the Cipriani and lunching by the pool. You may see some celebs, but the best part is the total relaxation and ambience.

My best suggestion: get up really early, like just before the sun comes up -- I know it sounds difficult but it can be done at least once (you can nap later) -- take your camera and jog or walk around Venice. It's amazingly peaceful when all the tourists are sleeping and the shops are just coming alive. You'll see the grocer opening up his stall; old men sweeping the sidewalks; the sun rising over Doge Palace. Heck, even the pigeons --and annoying handbag vendors -- aren't out yet (extra bonus reason to get yourself out). My favorite photos of Venice from this early hour.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 6:58 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Squirrel
I will be travelling to Venice on the 19th of this month for 5 days. Is there any must-see that I should focus on?
What did you do, where did you eat, your recommendations after being there?
Old Oct 26, 2004, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Alle Testiere is my favorite (and many others!) restaurant in Venice - get reservations now - only 10 tables!
Old Oct 27, 2004, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
What did you do, where did you eat, your recommendations after being there?
Our favorite activities -
1. The secret itinerary tour at the Dogi Palace. You need to reserve in advance.

2. The Guggenheim Museum - beautiful house and final resting place for Peggy and her dogs.

3. The round trip vaporetto ride along the Grand Canal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.