Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

When in Rome...what part do I stay in?

Old Aug 16, 02, 1:57 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to figure out where to stay in Rome, (currently looking at Sheraton, Marriott, Hilton due to points to earn), but I guess the problem is my understanding of the lay of the land. Which hotel is best in terms of easy of access via walking to places (not nessessarily taking the subway). Is something closer to the Collesium better, or something (north?) of that?
Old Aug 16, 02, 3:06 am
Community Director

I personally think a hotel in the Old City is the best place to stay - and that eliminates all of the chains you mention. The Old City of Rome is beautiful, with all of its sculpture and architecture from baroque times. I particularly like the plazas, some with spectacular fountains.

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Minerva, Plaza Minerva, many times. It is a great location, walking distance to all of the old city and its wonderful sights and restaurants. It is no longer a Crowne Plaza; it has changed management in the past year and I am unsure of its current affiliation. I have also stayed at the Intercontinental at the top of the Spanish Steps. It is a good property, and a great boon to fitness with walking up and down the long flight of steps into the old city. I also like the Hotel Inghilterra, a block off the Via Condotti and a few blocks down from the Spanish Steps.

Personally, I believe you give up a lot in ambience if you stay at a large chain property some distance away from the old town - but that reflects the value I place on being able to walk out from my hotel to sights and restaurants. Rome is a remarkable city, and you should thoroughly enjoy your visit.
Old Aug 16, 02, 8:03 am

Programs: FB Plt; LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
I stayed last weekend at
- Westin Excelsior
The next subway is at the bottom of Via Venetto. You've to walk downhill for about 5 min. The Marriott Grande is one block further.
- St. Regis
Next to a subway station. (5min walk to the main station.)

- Walking distance to the old city (Forum Romanum) is about 15-20min from all hotels.
- Subway to old city (Forum Romanum): you have to change the subway at the main station from all hotels.
Old Aug 17, 02, 12:15 am

Rome is a great city for walking. My wife and I stayed at the Sofitel Roma on Via Lombardia, which is across from the Villa Borghese and about 5 minutes off the Via Veneto. We took a cab to Piazza San Pietro, Castel Sant' Angelo, and the Catacombs, but other than that everything we wanted to see was within walking distance. Piazza Barberini, Scalinata di Spagna and Via dei Condotti were 10 minutes away. From the hotel, we took leisurely walks to the Pantheon (near the Minerva), Fontana di Trevi, Foro Romano, Piazza dei Campidoglio, Il Vittoriano, Colosseo and Piazza Navonna.

Great city. Easy to walk and excellent food everywhere. Just be aware of the "gypsy" kids.
Old Aug 17, 02, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should stay in the old city, as Rome is great for walking.

You should read the Sheraton board on Rome for comments.

If you stay on upper Via Veneto, consider using a cab up the hill rather than walking.

Do not save and stay in the boonies.

Do not consider driving in Rome.

[This message has been edited by slawecki (edited 08-17-2002).]
Old Aug 17, 02, 11:21 pm

Agreed. Do not stay out of town. Too much time is wasted travelling into the city. The suggestions here are good. We usually stay near the Vatican since most of the activities and sights we take in are there. There are excellent hotels there near the metro stations or bus stops.

Let me stress the good advice given. Don't drive in Rome.
Old Aug 18, 02, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LTTitanium, HH Diamond
Another vote here for the Minerva (former) Crowne Plaza. It is extremely well managed and the location is superb.
After a few days of hanging around Minerva and the nearby Piazza Navona doing nothing but watching the passing crowd and brushing up on your Italian, you will be fully decompressed and ready to take on the tourist things that you've read about in the books.
Old Aug 19, 02, 2:02 am
Original Poster

So, taking all the suggestions in, from all the different boards, I'm down to the Marriott and the St. Regis. I have gold level on the Marriott Front (free admission to lounge) and Gold level on the Starwood front (no admission to lounge). So, in terms of walking distance to old city (or simply ease of getting there), which is better? Also, what is considered the "center" of the old city, if I'm looking at it on a Map? Btw, lounges aren't too important, but this is Flyertalk.
Old Aug 19, 02, 3:32 am

Programs: FB Plt; LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
It all depends from your walking speed and your time in Rome. As mentioned above I stayed recently in Rome and had 2.5 days. My schedule was compressed. I walked one way to the sights and drove back with subway to the hotel:
1. day: e.g. Forum Romanum, Colosseo, Trevi
2. day: e.g. Vatican, Castel Sant' Angelo
2.5 day: e.g. Spagna, Via dei Condotti, Pantheon, Piazza Navona
(Try to be very early at the main sights (Vatican, Colosseo) before the busses are coming. Otherwise the queues may become long.)

Walking distances (I don't know which to consider as "center") to some sights:
1.) Forum Romanum
Walking distance: 15min (St. Regis); 20min (Marriott)
2.) Spagna
Walking distance: 10min (Marriott); 15min (St. Regis)
3.) Vatican
Walking distance: 30min (Marriott, St. Regis)

The advantage to the St. Regis is the location next to a subway (Piazza Republicca) and to the main station (5min walk or one stop from Piazza Republicca). The location of the Marriott is much nicer at the end of Via Veneto near Villa Borghese. The subway is downhill (>5min walk; location: Piazza Barberini; next to an Internet cafe: easyEverything).
You can find restaurants at Via Veneto (Marriott) and at Via Nazzionale (St. Regis). During my stay I had dinner near the hotels. All of my travel books recommended to try local restaurants that are away from the main sights (local restaurants near main sights were described as higher priced and average food only).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: