Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italian Kilometric Ticket

Old Aug 13, 2002, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Any comments on using Italian Kilometric Ticket? I am only traveling from VCE to FLR to ROM. Plan to spend 6 days in ROM and some side trip to Pompei or Naples. Is it worth it? or should I just buy point-to-point?
Old Aug 17, 2002, 10:25 pm

If its only you you will probably not get your money's worth out of the ticket. Unless you're planning to travel about 10,000 KM (I think there is a 5,000 KM ticket now) don't bother. You have a time limit in which to use the ticket. If you get the ticket make sure you have it validated before each train ride.
Old Aug 18, 2002, 7:56 pm

Programs: Presto
Point-to-point fares are quite reasonable, as rail travel in Italy is heavily subsidized. I just returned from a 4-week trip where these were all I used. The tabachi (smoke shops) sell tickets in kilometer denominations and most of the clerks are knowledgable of the distances. You can also buy regular tickets from automated kiosks in the major train stations, as well as from ticket counters (Remember to validate your tickets in the yellow punch clocks on the platform before entering the train).

As stated above you need to do the math on how far and how long, but I think you'll find in most cases point-to-point offers excellent flexibility and economy.

Have a great trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.