Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice & Rome in October

Venice & Rome in October

Old Aug 4, 02, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Venice & Rome in October

How is the weather like in Oct? I heard Oct is tourist peak season... I wonder why? but is it true? I will fly into VCE and out of Rome. What is the best way to go from VCE to ROME? We only spend 10 days, I am aorried that train is taking too long. When I check the airfare online from VCE to ROM, it costs over US$100!! Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 02, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
The Italian train schedules can be found here:

www.trenitalia.com

Most trains from Venice to Rome only take 4.5 to 5 hours. Second-class fare around 45 Euros. And you'll arrive right in the heart of Rome, not at an airport some distance outside the city.

I plan to be in Italy in October also! I expect to travel between cities by train, not by plane. European train travel for me is usually pretty enjoyable.

Kathy
Old Aug 4, 02, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sxchan:
How is the weather like in Oct? I heard Oct is tourist peak season... I wonder why? but is it true? I will fly into VCE and out of Rome. What is the best way to go from VCE to ROME? We only spend 10 days, I am aorried that train is taking too long. When I check the airfare online from VCE to ROM, it costs over US$100!! Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.</font>
Probably train. As mentioned above 4.5 hrs on the eurostar, which is a delightful train. First class is under 70. The plane with to-from will take much longer, as neither airport is convenient.

$100US for a 300 mile flight one way is dirt cheap by US standards.

October is trade show and conference month. A number of cities will have had all hotels booked since Nov, 2001.

One of the reasons for all the activity is that the weather is usually great.

[This message has been edited by slawecki (edited 08-17-2002).]
Old Aug 4, 02, 9:16 am

The weather should be good. The season actually is/ends end of Sept./first half of October.
I would go by train. Both train stations are centrally located; in Venice it can be reached by public boat service.
I would book the hotels early. May be at http://www.hrs.com/
Old Aug 4, 02, 3:30 pm

You can also try www.venere.it
Old Aug 5, 02, 10:27 am

I was in Venice 2 years ago the 1st week of October... the weather was warm but rainy. We took the train to Florence... then to Rome. The scenery is great between Florence and Rome, so I would suggest taking the train. As posted earlier, the 1st class fare is reasonable, the trains are fast and comfortable, and you will see so much more. In Rome, the weather was very warm... a couple of days of intermittent rain. If you can budget a day... consider a day trip to Pompeii from Rome... well worth the effort.
Old Aug 5, 02, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

--If possible, plan your trip towards the end of October. The weather will be cooler and cities less crowded. Also, note that some hotels in Venice charge lower rates as of November 1, --
Old Aug 15, 02, 11:52 am

I did this by car and regretted it. If you do it by car, drop off the car outside the city such as at the airport. If I had it to do over again I would go by train.

In VCE I recommend the hotel luna baggliona which is upscale although still reasonably priced. In Roma I recommend the Hotel Villa San Pio or its sister hotels which are cheaper but not airconditioned.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: