Wiki Posts
Search

Best Coffeeshop in AMS?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2004, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Best Coffeeshop in AMS?

A friend & I are doing a run to AMS. We've got 26 hours in AMS and don't really plan on sleeping - that's what the plane is for . We've got a hotel room, but that's pretty much just for showering.

So for those of you who partake, what's the name of & where is your favorite coffeeshop in AMS? We're interested in having a good quality experience.

Old Mar 16, 2004, 6:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
I never actually partook in the experience, but I heard that The Bulldog ( 6 locations, http://www.bulldog.nl/coffeeshops.htm ) is really good.
When are you going?
Old Mar 16, 2004, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/ACDfrmGu.html
Old Mar 16, 2004, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the input Yevlesh2 & Transpac - We'll be heading out on the 27th & returning on the 29th. We're flying IAD-DTW-JFK-AMS-ORD-MSP-IAD and hoping to get bumped from DTW-JFK. If it happens, I'm hoping to get rebooked on the A330 from DTW-AMS, but we'll. KLM's 777 from JFK-AMS should be a nice plane too.

The Bulldog's are okay, but we were hoping to get away from the frat-house chains shops.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 9:03 pm

The Lokaal t'loosje on Nieurmarkt plein is very nice. A traditional brown cafe. lot of locals.
good selection of beer as well( belgian ales and a few dutch microbrews).
If my hazy memory serves me it is directly accross from den waag ( the ornate building in the center of nieumarkt) by Barndesteeg.

to ger there from centraal , walk down zeedijk into nieuemarktplein.
Tis is on the fringe of the red-light district so it hasa very different atmosphere in the evenings.
Nieuwmarkt plein is a nice areas in itself. some good cafes, restaurants and there used to be a brewpub -the Maximillian, which I believe is now closed.
If you want a "party" coffeeshop , there is aGoa coffeehouse in the vicinity as well.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 9:19 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yevlesh2:
I never actually partook in the experience, but I heard that The Bulldog ( 6 locations, http://www.bulldog.nl/coffeeshops.htm ) is really good.
When are you going?
</font>
I recommend the Bulldog.. great coffee !!
Old Mar 16, 2004, 10:42 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
My favorite coffeeshop in Amsterdam is... Amnesia on Herengracht 133. or
Barneys on Harlemmerstraat 102. or
Free-I on Reguliersdwarsstraat 70. or
't Ballonetje on Roetersstraat 12. or
De Dampkring on Handboogstraat 29. or
the Noon on Zieseniskade 22. or...
Just about any coffeeshop has potential to be YOUR favorite. My advice when visiting these shops is...
1. Always try the smallest size first.
2. Don't get stuck in the tourist shops. Try at least a few neighborhood type places.
3. Don't be affraid to ask about what you're buying. If they have good answers, you can feel good about the products. If they 'don't know or won't say', try another shop.
P.S. Try my dining recommendations here

Last edited by HigherFlyer; Apr 3, 2004 at 9:30 pm Reason: To fix the dining link.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:02 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
You know, reading this thread I am getting a little curious. How strong is the stuff served in Amsterdams coffee shops?

Would you suggest giving the, ahem, herb, a try if I am
1) By myself
2) Have to make a 7 PM connecting flight after arriving in AMS at 8 AM .

[This message has been edited by yevlesh2 (edited Mar 16, 2004).]
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:21 pm

Programs: 11 Longhaired Friends of Jesus; Chartreuse Microbus; just demoted to AA nonentity
Lordy, it's been a long time, but I'd recommend budgeting them 26 hours carefully if you want to come away with any distinctions among the varieties. Anything mixed with tobacco tends to produce a hard body trip in my distant experience (as well as being "a recipe for getting lost in bus stations"), but your mileage may vary.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:23 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yevlesh2:
You know, reading this thread I am getting a little curious. How strong is the stuff served in Amsterdams coffee shops?

1) By myself
2) Have to make a 7 PM connecting flight after arriving in AMS at 8 AM .

[This message has been edited by yevlesh2 (edited Mar 16, 2004).]
</font>
Just ask the dealer. They will direct you to the most suitable 'wiet' or 'hasj' for your particular needs. By U.S. standards the quality is very good, but not usually overwhelming unless you are a true novice.
Again, to avoid 'buyers remorse', try the smallest ammount first. And as they say "until you know how this product will affect you, do not operate heavy machinery or make life changing decisions while using this product"
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wheezer:
Anything mixed with tobacco tends to produce a hard body trip in my distant experience (as well as being "a recipe for getting lost in bus stations"), but your mileage may vary.</font>
Good point. If you order a "joint" it will probably have tobacco in it. If you don't want tobacco, just buy plain stuff and roll your own. They always have free papers and filter tips.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:28 pm

Programs: 11 Longhaired Friends of Jesus; Chartreuse Microbus; just demoted to AA nonentity
1) By myself
</font>
No.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 5:46 am

The Greenhouse is consistently good, and their Silver Haze is excellent. They have 3 shops, of which the most convenient is a block or two from the Dam.

I recently tried the Rokerij, just off the Leidseplein, and I was pleased. The staff were friendly and helpful, and it was a pleasant place both to buy and to relax.

No problem if you are alone, just take it easy at first. Also, don't inevitably go for the strongest stuff; ease into it.

Finally, it's just about impossible to smoke Nederweed without tobacco or tobacco-substitute -- the herb is just too sticky and won't burn. The Greenhouse usually has some type of tobacco-substitute that they offer; I'd take it for granted that the substitute is no less carcinogenic than tobacco. I don't smoke tobacco except when I'm in AMS; before leaving the US, I usually buy a small pouch of the mildest tobacco I can find, and that serves me well.

One more thing: I would do almost anything to avoid the Bulldog(s). In my experience, they offer inferior quality, unhelpful staff, and an atmosphere/ambience that is the exact opposite of what I'm looking for.

Edited to add comments about the Buldog.

[This message has been edited by wideman (edited Mar 17, 2004).]
Old Mar 17, 2004, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I agree with the comments about the Bulldogs & other chain shops - one thing I liked was the smaller more relaxed shops when I was there last. Places like the Bulldog (or anywhere that has a gift shop) just aren't as good for the overall enjoyment.

In terms of the strength of the stuff served in the coffeeshops, I've had different experiences. The biggest difference between the AMS style & the US style of partaking is the fact that in AMS they sell the pre-rolled that are mixed with tobacco - which, in my opinion, are pretty much useless & a waste of money. Yevlesh2 - if you've never done it before, I doubt you'll get too out of control given the fact that sometimes it won't get you the first time you try it - of course, if you partake around 9AM, you'll be fine by check-in for your evening flight. Just don't fall asleep .

Another tip - if you're going over for the first time, realize that most everyone smokes out of paper, not out of pieces & that you can't bring a piece back with you once it's been used (well, you can...). The papers there are a lot narrower and thinner than the US standard types, so it may be challenging to use their papers if you're used to the EZ-wider 1.5's.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 7:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bhatnasx:
A friend & I are doing a run to AMS. We've got 26 hours in AMS and don't really plan on sleeping - that's what the plane is for . We've got a hotel room, but that's pretty much just for showering.

So for those of you who partake, what's the name of & where is your favorite coffeeshop in AMS? We're interested in having a good quality experience.

</font>
I know the city well. I travel over to Amsterdam many times each year. If you would tell me where you are staying and the address of the place I will give you information of what is near your accomodations.

I say this because Amsterdam is a easy city to get lost in. At first all the canals look the same, the bike traffic can be congesting for those walking, the trams dangerous for those walking and the sidewalks are narrow which may push you to walk on the streets full of car traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.