Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which airport to fly out in summer for TATL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

I am scheduled to fly AMS-ORD in the near future but the long wait time really makes me to reevaluate my trip. Any other airport as an alternative? I thought about BRU but it is on trike today. LHR is out due to high APD. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mediator
I am scheduled to fly AMS-ORD in the near future but the long wait time really makes me to reevaluate my trip. Any other airport as an alternative? I thought about BRU but it is on trike today. LHR is out due to high APD. Thanks in advance.
Is this for an award ticket or a cash ticket? If a cash ticket, the UK APD should not concern you: all that you should worry about is the ticket's total cost.

For an award ticket, it's a different story
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Is this for an award ticket or a cash ticket? If a cash ticket, the UK APD should not concern you: all that you should worry about is the ticket's total cost.

For an award ticket, it's a different story
it’s a cash ticket but I perceive LHR is an airport that frequently melt down.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Lots of airports are having all sorts of issues at the moment. Even US ones.

It's not something I would look to change my plans over. Even the most efficient airport can have issues on any given date,

You can fly via LHR and avoid APD quite easily. Most of LHRs issues are not affecting transfer passengers,
mediator and downinit like this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jun 21, 2022 at 6:13 am
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:08 am

Programs: FB Gold
All the major airports in Europe and the US are going to be nightmares this summer.

Best solution is to not fly. Otherwise I don't think the hassle of changing flights outweighs any minimal time savings since there isn't an airport that isn't overwhelmed at the moment.
downinit, farci and pbiflyer like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Of European airports with at least 6 North American common carrier destinations that happen to have at least 2 US carriers serving them, CPH and KEF have been the most reliable for my bookings when it comes to not having to deal with 40+ minute waits for security screening this quarter.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
I suggest you consider Vienna (VIE), as it offers a good range of flights on Austrian Airlines to various North American destinations, including ORD, and the airport so far this summer has not experienced a major meltdown that I am aware of. I just flew out a week ago to the US and while the crowds were larger than usual, everything seemed to be flowing ok. I went through the priority security lane (for business class and Star Gold), which as usual took less than 5 minutes. I saw the regular security line, which appeared a bit long but not the horrors you see reports of at other European airports. VIE for me is the right balance between having a good number of flights to various destinations in Europe and beyond, but small and efficient enough to make even tight transfers, at least under normal conditions.

Last edited by lotemblizej; Jun 22, 2022 at 6:15 pm Reason: Add important detail I left out
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:41 am

FWIW, I flew BCN-EWR in late May and the security checkpoint wait was 15-20 min. On the way in though, took over an hour to get thru passport control.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.