Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Passport Control, use eGate at Schipol if American returning home?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:36 am
Original Poster

I have a connecting flight coming up at Schipol airport in Amsterdam. I will be arriving from Italy (Schengen) and connecting to the US (ATL) so I will have to go through Passport Control. I have a recently issued American passport which should have a chip in it.
Can I use the eGates to go through passport control at this airport or do I need to go through a different line? What is the process, please? I know people with EU passports can use these but I'm not sure about American passports.
Also, I'm arriving on KLM business class and departing on Delta in Delta One. Are there separate Passport Control lines for first class?

Any insight into the process, especially from anyone who's traveled through AMS on the way to the US recently would be very, very much appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Yes, I passed through AMS yesterday and there are signs stating that nationals of an EU country, UK, Australia, Canada, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland or the USA , over 16yo and with a chipped passport, can use the e-gates.
jrmoore likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You should use the transfer passenger lane not the lane to exit the airport.

That assumes you are on a true connection with bags checked through etc

There are no separate lanes for people in business class (delta One is a business class product). Everyone uses the same queues.
jrmoore and catbox9 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by mandolino
Yes, I passed through AMS yesterday and there are signs stating that nationals of an EU country, UK, Australia, Canada, Iceland, Japan, Liechtenstein, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland or the USA , over 16yo and with a chipped passport, can use the e-gates.
I was able to use e gates when departing Amsterdam few days ago with US passport. Does anyone know if US passports can also use r gates when arriving in Amsterdam?
Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by gateH15
Does anyone know if US passports can also use r gates when arriving in Amsterdam?
If you want to enter the Netherlands, only those with a EU or Swiss passport can use the E-gates.
gateH15 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Breda_travelgirl
If you want to enter the Netherlands, only those with a EU or Swiss passport can use the E-gates.
Norwegian passports work too.

Originally Posted by gateH15
I was able to use e gates when departing Amsterdam few days ago with US passport. Does anyone know if US passports can also use r gates when arriving in Amsterdam?
Not allowed on entry.

Here is an accessible list of countries whose passport users can use the egates for entry at AMS:

https://english.marechaussee.nl/topi...ssport-control

That link also has a list for who can use the egates to exit Schengen there.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:34 am

Just make sure to double check where the shortest line is. Sometimes it can be faster to use the line with an actual person instead of an E-gate.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
US citizens may use e-gates to exit, but not enter, Schengen in the Netherlands. Officers are available should you need an exit stamp in your passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.