Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece - Ferry Travel Questions (Athens, Mykonos, Santorini)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2022, 10:36 am
Original Poster

So we will be traveling from Athens to Mykonos and Mykonos to Santorini and wanted to check about using ferry to travel for this purpose. Are they safe, which ferry companies to use for both the legs of the travel. Any assistance will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old May 29, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: UA
ferries.gr for your one stop shop. Most of the companies are pretty comparable to each other.
sydunipete, troyhouse and SK like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by a5un
ferries.gr for your one stop shop. Most of the companies are pretty comparable to each other.
thanks, i am booking it for late july, do the prices come down or they remain the same.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

July is peak season and you are traveling to the most touristed islands.....book now. I doubt as they fill up and sellout...prices will go down. Might look at Matt Barrett's website on Greece....extensive information on ferry travel in the country.

https://www.greecetravel.com/
troyhouse likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 7:18 pm

If you intend to travel to Mykonos directly after arriving at ATH, it may be simpler to take a ferry sailing from Rafina or Lavrio. Both ports are closer to the airport than to the centre of Athens and there are buses to them. In addition, Piraeus could be a zoo, especially if taking a boat leaving early in the morning.
troyhouse and sydunipete like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
There are some ferries that are faster than the others and a bit more expensive, but worth it.

If you know your dates I would book hotels asap first, as this season will be brutal. I am looking for some secondary islands for August and room availability in the desirable areas is already gone.
troyhouse likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 2:50 am

Programs: Some...
My wife and I did this a few years ago in July/August:

Landed in ATH in the late morning. We had a flight to Mykonos in the evening (2 PNR). We checked our bags at noon and went to the city for a quick visit (lunch and Acropolis) and went back to our flight to Mykonos. Spent a few days and then ferry to Santorini. Spent a few days and we took a flight back to ATH.

From memories : the ferry between the island was fun and probably the best thing to do, but do not rely on the schedule. Mykonos port was recently moved a little bit further than previously so there wasn't anything (no bar, no restaurant) while we were waiting. I don't know if is it has changed. On the ferry, there was different class of service with better seats. You can leave your luggage downstairs but we'd rather keep them with us near our seats.
Santorini airport was a zoo also. Actually, the island itself is a zoo in summer but we knew that...
troyhouse likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 7:58 pm

Last time I was in Mykonos was in 1966 , last time in Santorini in 1972. Since then I've been on a lot of other Greek islands (a total of ~50, including a few uninhabited ones). I added two "new" ones to my list last March, while about one year ago I "did" revisit six super-lovely Ionian islands, also adding a new one. Bottom line: Basically all islands can be categorized as a "zoo" in July, but one day in Mykonos will cost you the same as 10 days on any other island (that impression is based on newspaper reports); Santorini is stunning but by all means avoid the high season! Personally, I have my hot list of 5-6 islands that I absolutely love and where I'm gong to when I have time (plenty of it since retirement) .
cad-spe and nk15 like this.

Last edited by KLouis; Jun 2, 2022 at 7:13 pm Reason: Corrected typos and "corrupted text"
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

One word: Crete
DavidDTW likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:18 am

Of all the things one can do in the Greek islands, riding a ferry is not the top of the list. It might be somewhat more expensive, but if it were me, I would fly to or from Santorini, ferry between Mykonos and Santorini, and either fly or possibly take the Mykonos-Rafina ferry between Athens and Mykonos. The Rafina ferry is about 2.5 hours, so not as much of a slog as getting to/from Santorini from Athens/Piraeus.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Good points, you take the slow ferries you waste several hours and risk getting Covid in there. Flying in and out is best. Getting the A3 6-flight pass that includes the main touristy islands may also be a good option.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
Of all the things one can do in the Greek islands, riding a ferry is not the top of the list. It might be somewhat more expensive, but if it were me, I would fly to or from Santorini, ferry between Mykonos and Santorini, and either fly or possibly take the Mykonos-Rafina ferry between Athens and Mykonos. The Rafina ferry is about 2.5 hours, so not as much of a slog as getting to/from Santorini from Athens/Piraeus.
thats the plan, use ferry from ath to mykonos to Santorini and fly from Santorini to Italy destinations. guess, i will book those ferries now.
xooz likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
..... Getting the A3 6-flight pass that includes the main touristy islands may also be a good option.
Thanks for noting this, as I was not aware. Now I need to come up with some way to make use of it! I have a trip planned to Corfu, but didn't plan to go anywhere else in Greece.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Final stages of booking the ferry from Athens to Mykonos... which port should I use for booking ferry, I am assuming it will be Piraeus? Please confirm.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by troyhouse
Final stages of booking the ferry from Athens to Mykonos... which port should I use for booking ferry, I am assuming it will be Piraeus? Please confirm.
Yes, Piraeus is the port city about 20 mins from Athens.
troyhouse likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.