Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

AMS layover - summer 2022

AMS layover - summer 2022

Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by nk15
Airlines Bumping Average 14,000 Passengers Daily In Amsterdam’s Schiphol July & August 2022 - LoyaltyLobby

Unfortunately I have two flights in August through this miserable airport, connecting two separate cheap J fares fares, that I booked in October of 2021...I am dreading the possibilities, even with a day buffer between the fares....
So BA moved my AMS flight to the day before, lol...Good thing that I have build a "layover" of 1.5 days between my two separate tickets in AMS....still works...how did I know that dealing with BA and AMS I needed a 1.5 day layover...
Old Dec 31, 2022, 1:52 pm

Kind of a piggy-back question - I have at 10.5 hour layover in Amsterdam on a Thursday in April and we wanted to go to Keukenhof and maybe Rijksmuseum if time. We'll be en route from US to Lisbon, so non-Schengen to Schengen.

Can we access the non-Schengen lounge on arrival to freshen up? Is there somewhere we can leave carry-on bags - I read on KLM website that there are lockers there? If we do leave bags in the non-Schengen lounge, would we have issues going back to pick up bags from there if our onward flight is Schengen?

Thanks!!
Old Jan 1, 2023, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by dharps
Kind of a piggy-back question - I have at 10.5 hour layover in Amsterdam on a Thursday in April and we wanted to go to Keukenhof and maybe Rijksmuseum if time. We'll be en route from US to Lisbon, so non-Schengen to Schengen.
You will not have time to go to both the Keukenhof (which is not in Amsterdam) and the Rijksmuseum (which very much is) in one day, much less during a layover. Pick one, and plan ahead either way. Note that there's a major Vermeer exhibition at the Rijksmuseum that will be going on in April - buy your tickets in advance or be disappointed on the day.

Can we access the non-Schengen lounge on arrival to freshen up?
You can try; as long as you're on a fully-business class itinerary you should be fine - but if it's busy you might be told you need to go to the Schengen lounge instead. When I was there during the security meltdowns earlier this year, the staff were turning away anyone not strictly entitled to entry - no day passes.

Note that both the Schengen (lounge 25) and non-Schengen (lounge 52) offer showers. You should probably reserve the shower in advance: https://lounge.klm.com/client/common/lounge_selection

Is there somewhere we can leave carry-on bags - I read on KLM website that there are lockers there? If we do leave bags in the non-Schengen lounge, would we have issues going back to pick up bags from there if our onward flight is Schengen?
Don't leave your bags anywhere in the non-schengen zone. Best case, you'll have to go through passport control twice to retrieve them, which will dramatically cut into your time.

If I were you I'd go through transit passport control (i.e. enter Schengen), clean up in lounge 25, and then leave the airport. Supposedly lounge 25 has lockers, according to their map (https://lounge.klm.com/client/lounge25/home) - but I couldn't tell you if that is really true. I don't think there are any airside "public" baggage lockers in the Schengen side of the airport, but there are some before security in Departures 1.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:10 pm

Thanks so much terrier! This is exactly the info we needed to plan out our layover.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.