Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I am having a heart attack worrying about Greece trip

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The Greek nanny state unfortunately just lifted those rail guards (mostly for tourism purposes), so now people have to make their own decisions and take responsibility for their health.... It would have been so much easier if they still required the booster, like the rest of Europe, wouldn't it?

Last edited by nk15; May 2, 2022 at 6:48 pm
Old May 2, 2022, 3:27 pm

Here we go again! Another stereotypical FT “urinating contest”.
Old May 2, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I am the one who originally said to get the booster, based on the timeframe I saw in the OP's questions. She did mention "no booster," after all. What if I rephrase that and say "Any plans to get a booster before the trip?" It sounds like not, but how about at least checking with your family doctor to see if they think it's a good idea?
Old May 3, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Blue
Originally Posted by lindalogan
1. Any suggestions on getting from the airport to the hotel. Cab, Uber not there, but I read he can use Uber app to order a cab? Is it safe to take a cab on his own?
I would highly suggest taking the Metro Blue line from the Airport and then change to the Red Metro line. Traffic in Athens can be bad, so bus is not a great option and (as a Greek) I'd highly advise against taxis, there's way too many cases of overcharging to risk it. Uber pretty much doesn't exist in Greece (no UberX and the only thing the app does is order a taxi for you... which can then ask for more money)

3. Losing Passport, this is one of my biggest fears.
A) how big a pain if he loses it?
Not too much- the USA Embassy is a 20min walk/5min metro ride away from his hotel and will help him with an emergency passport without an appointment (more details here).

4. Covid. I have read all I can, and can't find a straight answer. He has taken both shots, the second shot was taken at the end of August 2021. No booster.
a) Leaving the USA to Greece, what will he need for covid?
As many have said- a booster shot is not required since a few days. In reality no one is checking on arrival in ATH since a few weeks. However until very recently, a booster shot (or a vaccination completed within the last 9 months) was required to enter all shops/restaurants/bars etc, and this was often checked. As the Greek government is known for reversing decisions due to higher Covid numbers, I would suggest getting the booster shot just in case the government decides to re-introduce the measures on very short notice. Which has happened at least twice in the past. (I am leaving out any politics/medical opinions)

5. Anyone have any experience with a young person going on their own?Safety, etc?
Any help is great. I have not slept at all since he was accepted to go.
As a person who grew up (mostly) in Athens, I can say it's a very safe city. Especially the area around his hotel is super relaxed/safe/touristy. Practically everywhere in a 10km radius is very safe- loads of students his age around and he will feel safe even at 4am. The most dangerous thing around will probably be fellow drunk friends .
The Metro is great to use and quite cheap, and is what I'd recommend he uses for moving around.
Old May 3, 2022, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Does your son share your concerns? If so, I would suggest some dry runs before hand - Get him to plan a trip on the type of transportation he will be using (public, uber, taxi) and then execute it. Sounds like public transport is the best option there. While it may not be like for like, it will still simulate the steps - planning, finding the right stop, getting on/off, etc. It will give him a boost of confidence.
One of my best parenting moments was when my 12 year old, at the time, daughter told us she wanted to visit a specific place in London while we were on vacation there. I told her fine, but she has to find the route on public transportation and lead the way the entire time. Oh and she had to find something interesting nearby that the whole family would like. I told her we would follow, giving no advice, even if she picks the wrong move.
She navigated perfectly. Afterwards, she beamed that she could go anywhere, since she navigated one of the largest cities in the world.

If your son does not share your concerns, then just relax, he'll be fine. He's got this one way or another.
lindalogan likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 7:10 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Hainan Fortune Wings, Spirit Ultra Cheapskate
Carry a copy of the his passport. Scan it, e-mail it to himself (and you). Then it's on his phone. That's likely welded to his person. No 20 yo is going to lose a phone no matter how absent-minded.
LETTERBOY and lindalogan like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uber-taxi is fine in Athens, they cannot scam him because it is all through the app, so no cash is exchanged. Drivers who work for Uber are probably better regulated similar to the Greek taxi apps or phone numbers, and there is no exchange of cash anyway, so even safer. Regular taxis, maybe 25-30% of them will try to overcharge everybody, including Greeks, and when they sniff USA it is game over...

The US Embassy in Athens may not accept walk-ins, they were slammed last summer and understaffed, so they asked you to call a priority line if you travel shortly and have an emergency. I do not know if this has changed recently (it might). I had some interaction with them last summer and they sent you to phone lines. But they will be very efficient for lost passports either way, I believe.
lindalogan and jj_lgkr like this.

Last edited by nk15; May 3, 2022 at 2:37 pm
Old May 3, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
No need to be nasty
Not being nasty. Being realistic.
TWA884 and missionpa like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Seems like she was asking about travel requirements, rather than asking for pro-vaccine arguments.
100% Correct.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 9:16 am
Original Poster

UPDATE
My kid took the booster. Apparently the person from his college (LMU) advised them all to do so. Believe me I did not want to do it as I don't see the benefits when home in California. During 2021 Christmas break, LMU sent all the students that they would require a booster. Later they changed it before the second semester started.
My new question:
We searched and read all we could find. And nothing is recent (May 22) and nothing is easy to decipher. We went to all the official USA and French government sites along with other sites. Hoping you all can please help. His flight from LAX has a layover in Paris before going to Athens.
We understand Greece does not require a test. Does France?
Thank you
Old May 16, 2022, 9:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

UPDATE
My kid took the booster. Apparently the person from his college (LMU) advised them all to do so. Believe me I did not want to do it as I don't see the benefits when home in California. During 2021 Christmas break, LMU sent all the students that they would require a booster. Later they changed it before the second semester started.
My new question:
We searched and read all we could find. And nothing is recent (May 22) and nothing is easy to decipher. We went to all the official USA and French government sites along with other sites. Hoping you all can please help. His flight from LAX has a layover in Paris before going to Athens.
Thank you
Did you call his airline and ask? They won't let him board unless he has ALL the necessary paperwork. That would be my first call.
Old May 16, 2022, 9:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thank you
No, France won't require a test, and yes you are correct about Greece, no test needed. If he is boosted then he is regarded as up to date with vaccines, and therefore the French required would be proof of vaccination only. Generally in Europe there is a 270 day limit on vaccinations, however a booster immediately qualifies your son as fully vaccinated. Fully vaccinated = no test requirement. I say "would" because being in transit means he won't even be asked about this anyway. But doing a lateral flow test (rapid antigen test) before travel is a sensible precaution if you can get a cheap test kit, but rightly that's just a personal decision as to whether to do that.
nk15 and lindalogan like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But doing a lateral flow test (rapid antigen test) before travel is a sensible precaution if you can get a cheap test kit, but rightly that's just a personal decision as to whether to do that.
These at-home tests are available free of charge to U.S. residents:

https://www.covid.gov/tests
nk15 and lindalogan like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 11:01 am

In addition to what the ever knowledgeable corporate-wage-slave said, there's a nifty website called Sherpa which allows you to find all sorts of requirements:

https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-...language=en-US
Old May 16, 2022, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
These at-home tests are available free of charge to U.S. residents:

https://www.covid.gov/tests
Interesting, the third free round just became available, thanks! It is doubtful though these will be shipped on time for the OP's son, I think he is departing very soon.
lindalogan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.