Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any concerns with visiting Istanbul if Russia invades Ukraine?

Any concerns with visiting Istanbul if Russia invades Ukraine?

Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by James91
This aged well.
And that's just the beginning....
Old Feb 24, 2022, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by James91
This aged well.
That's why I was sure to put "I'm not saying it won't happen (and who knows with Vlad)." People here, including yours truly, can't believe he actually did it though. Lines stretching around the corner from the banks to pull cash out. Of course not a peep in the news other than playing out the "de-nazifying" angle; give me a break...

It escalated very quickly and now we will just have to see, unfortunately. I still would not worry about traveling to the rest of western Europe at this time.
TravisMT81 and James91 like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just avoid that hole above....
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:17 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Breda_travelgirl
“Even if it stays localized in Ukraine, any possibility that it could spread to other countries it will be enough to affect travel and mood”

I don’t want to sound insensitive, but I very much doubt that an invasion in Ukraine will have any impact on the mood in the rest of Europe. Especially not in the western part in countries like the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Portugal etc etc etc. In 1990’s there was a war in (former) Yougoslavia that was much closer to home for many European countries and still life continued as normal. People went on with their daily life, went on holidays throughout Europe (not to former Yougoslavia of course) and even the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain went ahead as planned.
Please don’t overreact with regards to this conflict. It may seem close on a map, but for many Europeans this conflict feels very far away from home
This aged well too.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
This aged well too.
What do you mean? I still don’t want to sound insensitive, but life still continues normally here in Western Europe.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 12:07 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

That the invasion had an impact on the mood. Or did the large manifestation for support of Ukraine does not count as a mood change ? The fear of a hard winter without access to Russian coal, gaz and oil ? That for peoplel living near a US Air Force base in Europe, there is a noticeable increase in activity level. This "is far from home" is not the truth.
GUWonder and florens like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How is this for mood...

Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:24 am

Yes, this has impacted the lives of some people, but in general life continues normally here in Western Europe. Tourists are still arriving, people go out for dinner, go out for drinks, people visit museums and other sights of interest, people are out and about in the streets etc etc.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:27 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Yes, of course. But a mood is not defined by that only.
GUWonder and florens like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 1:40 am

This is a travel forum and my initial reply was in response to a poster wondering if this will impact travel and mood. I remain by my view that this has no impact on that. Here in Western Europe life and certainly the tourist life continues as normal.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The mood gets worse..

Putin puts nuclear forces on high alert, escalating tensions
Old Feb 27, 2022, 11:45 am

Luckily I was able to fly out yesterday on SU 102, but SU 124 today turned around and diverted back to Moscow, just as it was approaching Greenland. I'm guessing that coincided with Canada's announcement blocking Russian aircraft. I guess people will have to find connections that are still operating from Russia (that aren't blocked yet by the Russian side), maybe HEL. Best of luck to those still in Russia.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Yes, of course. But a mood is not defined by that only.
This.

Let me tell everyone this.
Things may look like normal when lives go on. But.
People in the Baltics are worried. Young and old. I have traveled this area extensively and am currently in the region again. Everyone I talk to is worried.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pstm91
Luckily I was able to fly out yesterday on SU 102, but SU 124 today turned around and diverted back to Moscow, just as it was approaching Greenland. I'm guessing that coincided with Canada's announcement blocking Russian aircraft. I guess people will have to find connections that are still operating from Russia (that aren't blocked yet by the Russian side), maybe HEL. Best of luck to those still in Russia.
Along with the rest of the Nordic countries, Denmark is in line to block airspace use by Russia. [You know who wanted to buy Greenland from Denmark.] I would assume the Russian airlines would prefer to get their planes back to Russia to minimize the chance of the planes getting stuck/delayed far from their home base as a result of airspace closures applicable to the Russian carriers.

Even into the start of this weekend, Turkey and Russia have had that adversarial cooperation thing going on. They still have that thing, but as of this weekend Turkey has revised its approach a bit and finally come around to acknowledging Russia is in a war -- perhaps doing so as to signal to Russia that Turkey may control how ships of Black Sea states can use Turkey's waters. While this development does indicate a potential for an increase in friction between Russia and Turkey over Ukraine, Turkey has a lot of energy and tourism ties with Russia such that it's not willing to put all of that on the block even now.

Perhaps the OP can call the situation based on how things go with the number of Russian visitors who visit Turkey in the coming weeks and months until around the anticipated vacation time. If those numbers are high, then the OP visiting Istanbul shouldn't be a problem either as long as flights continue pretty much as usual for the route or don't have more than a relatively short delay due to re-routes.
Graciecatt likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.