Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Covid Testing in (Rural) Austria

Covid Testing in (Rural) Austria

Old Nov 19, 21, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by capedreamer View Post
But it can be revisited and extended? I don’t really understand what a “maximum” means in that case…

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59343650.amp
It means ‘at least until’. Honestly, I would not be booking anything to Austria or anywhere in Europe given the very fluid situation with potential lockdowns. You could well be in your room the entire time.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 21, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
It means ‘at least until’. Honestly, I would not be booking anything to Austria or anywhere in Europe given the very fluid situation with potential lockdowns. You could well be in your room the entire time.
Thank you. Yeah I know you’re right. The challenging part is that while our hotels are refundable, our flights are not. So unless the airlines cancel them (which they have not), any changes will result in a pretty hefty fare difference at this point (change fees are waived, but that’s fairly minor).
Old Nov 19, 21, 7:30 am
Suspended

Thank you. Yeah I know you’re right. The challenging part is that while our hotels are refundable, our flights are not. So unless the airlines cancel them (which they have not), any changes will result in a pretty hefty fare difference at this point (change fees are waived, but that’s fairly minor).
Maybe I missed it, but what airline are you flying with? Can you not get a travel voucher? It would not surprise me at all if flights are changed/cancelled.
Old Nov 19, 21, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Maybe I missed it, but what airline are you flying with? Can you not get a travel voucher? It would not surprise me at all if flights are changed/cancelled.
I'm flying Air Canada and my parents are flying Austrian Airlines. We're leaving from different departure points hence why this last-minute adjustment will be a logistical nightmare.

Yes, we can likely get vouchers if nothing else, but we were really hoping to make this work. Especially for my parents, this would be their first trip in almost two years, and also the resumption of an annual tradition that was interrupted last year. I know these are FWPs, but sigh... still disappointed.
Old Nov 19, 21, 9:02 am
Suspended

I'm flying Air Canada and my parents are flying Austrian Airlines. We're leaving from different departure points hence why this last-minute adjustment will be a logistical nightmare.

Yes, we can likely get vouchers if nothing else, but we were really hoping to make this work. Especially for my parents, this would be their first trip in almost two years, and also the resumption of an annual tradition that was interrupted last year. I know these are FWPs, but sigh... still disappointed.
Bavaria is shutting down completely, along with Austria. I honestly don't see this being much fun, even if you can get it to work. I just cancelled a trip back to Switzerland just after Christmas because it just isn't worth the hassle and (perhaps literal) brain damage.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 21, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Bavaria is shutting down completely, along with Austria. I honestly don't see this being much fun, even if you can get it to work. I just cancelled a trip back to Switzerland just after Christmas because it just isn't worth the hassle and (perhaps literal) brain damage.
What are your thoughts on Italy, Spain, or Portugal? Given their higher vaccination rates, I'm hoping the chances of them shutting down is lower. But I know it's a gamble...
Old Nov 19, 21, 9:31 am
Suspended

What are your thoughts on Italy, Spain, or Portugal? Given their higher vaccination rates, I'm hoping the chances of them shutting down is lower. But I know it's a gamble...
Go for a week in Comporta!
capedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 19, 21, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Go for a week in Comporta!
it looks very tempting, but the fare difference to get to Lisbon for the 3 of us would be $3,000+ (just given the constraints of staying with the respective airlines we've booked). To Milan, it's only $800 so a bit more reasonable. But I also recognize that Italy is more likely to shut down than Portugal at this point...
Old Nov 19, 21, 11:53 am
Suspended

it looks very tempting, but the fare difference to get to Lisbon for the 3 of us would be $3,000+ (just given the constraints of staying with the respective airlines we've booked). To Milan, it's only $800 so a bit more reasonable. But I also recognize that Italy is more likely to shut down than Portugal at this point...
Where are you flying into? Just buy a separate flight to LIS, it can't be that expensive.
Old Nov 19, 21, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Where are you flying into? Just buy a separate flight to LIS, it can't be that expensive.
Fair enough. I'm flying from YYZ on AC. So rebooking to LIS for me is actually quite easy.

My parents, OTOH, are flying from YOW on OS. They're not frequent flyers so would like to reuse their current ticket value rather than getting a voucher. They're willing to depart from YUL if that presents more options, and I'm hoping OS will allow rebooking on LH/LX. Even so, options are fairly limited and quite pricey. But we might just pull the trigger anyways for the peace of mind.

Thanks for your input!
Old Nov 19, 21, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC S100K, BW Diamond Select
I'm in a similar situation as @capedreamer; I am flying into VIE with a family member on Aeroplan or revenue tickets.

We both arrive mid-afternoon; should we book an overnight airport hotel in VIE, and fly out the next day to another European capital city? We're flying USA-YYZ-FRA-ZRH-VIE.
Old Nov 20, 21, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket View Post
I'm in a similar situation as @capedreamer; I am flying into VIE with a family member on Aeroplan or revenue tickets.

We both arrive mid-afternoon; should we book an overnight airport hotel in VIE, and fly out the next day to another European capital city? We're flying USA-YYZ-FRA-ZRH-VIE.
When are your travel dates? We are currently scheduled to depart on Dec 22 (arriving Dec 23). I’m planning to wait another week before deciding on rebooking. Taking a risk on prices going up (for new flights and hotels), but hoping to get a bit more signal on Covid trends in various countries (including Austria).
Old Nov 20, 21, 9:06 am

Programs: AC S100K, BW Diamond Select
@capedreamer: arriving the 23rd - same as you! Hopefully the lockdown helps tamper rates down, but perhaps Switzerland or Italy might be better options and we can book the intra-Europe flights with Aeroplan quite readily.
Old Nov 20, 21, 9:17 am
Original Poster

@capedreamer: arriving the 23rd - same as you! Hopefully the lockdown helps tamper rates down, but perhaps Switzerland or Italy might be better options and we can book the intra-Europe flights with Aeroplan quite readily.
Oh haha. Fingers crossed for us! I’m really hoping the lockdown puts a dent in the cases so I don’t need to rebook everything. But we probably won’t have a better sense there for at least a week? Ugh… tough to decide.
Old Nov 22, 21, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
I didn't want to create a new post, but I'm reading that FFP2 are required in many (if not most) indoor and transportation settings.

Should I spend a small fortune importing a box of FFP2 masks from Europe to Canada, or can I buy some at a pharmacy inside FRA, ZRH, while transiting, or before I exit VIE?

The trip is around the Christmas timeframe.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
we are in Ukraine now and we’re in Germany a few days ago. KN95 and N95 have been no problem. They seem to be 100% accepted as an equivalent. Unfortunately we had to cancel the Austria part of the trip due to the lockdown, I hope tours is able to go as planned.
TTC900Rocket likes this.

Search this Thread