Ukraine entry for vaccinated US residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ukraine entry for vaccinated US residents

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you (and - ouch, test with passport details may be non-trivial to find in the US).
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:01 am
gei

I flew with my CDC card to KBP and it was accepted without any issues - both by Lufthansa checkin agents and by immigration in Ukraine.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gei
I flew with my CDC card to KBP and it was accepted without any issues - both by Lufthansa checkin agents and by immigration in Ukraine.
That's great news!
When did you fly and where did you depart from, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Jul 23, 2021, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

In the meantime, can't pin down either Ukrainian International or Turkish airlines - no direct answer except "follow the official guidance". :/
Old Jul 28, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AY Plat
The Ukrainian cabinet met earlier today and modified entry requirements. The media provide conflicting stories on what exactly will change and when, so we need to wait until the official rules are updated. The changes will come into effect 7 days after the official government publication of the new rules.
I am a fully vaccinated US citizen flying to Kiev via Frankfurt next week. Will update this thread with anything I learn
woody125 and tr3k like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VitaliU
The Ukrainian cabinet met earlier today and modified entry requirements. The media provide conflicting stories on what exactly will change and when, so we need to wait until the official rules are updated. The changes will come into effect 7 days after the official government publication of the new rules.
I am a fully vaccinated US citizen flying to Kiev via Frankfurt next week. Will update this thread with anything I learn
Ok, found a link: https://vchaspik.ua/ukraina/507514-p...-na-covid-19-i
I read it as carefully as I could, and don't see what changed - at least for non-Ukrainian citizens. Still admissible with either PCR/rapid test or a proof of vaccination, and no isolation requirements.

Still will be very interested in your experience.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by tr3k
Ok, found a link: https://vchaspik.ua/ukraina/507514-p...-na-covid-19-i
I read it as carefully as I could, and don't see what changed - at least for non-Ukrainian citizens. Still admissible with either PCR/rapid test or a proof of vaccination, and no isolation requirements.

Still will be very interested in your experience.
I think I found what's changed:

From August 4-5, 2021, citizens of Ukraine and all foreign tourists over 18 years old who have not been vaccinated against coronavirus and cross the state border to enter must install the Vdoma mobile app, which monitors self-isolation.

Self-isolation is not required if the person leaves the country within 72 hours. You can also avoid 10 days of self-isolation if you undergo PCR testing or a rapid antigen test within 72 hours of entry and get a negative result.

Unvaccinated citizens arriving from Russia or India must undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine without the possibility of early termination. https://visitukraine.today/

It appears that nothing is changing for those of us who are fully vaccinated. I will find out next week

Last edited by VitaliU; Jul 29, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Old Jul 31, 2021, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Was at the IAD today, and TK flight was departing. So, I went to TK check in counter and asked whether a CDC card would be sufficient for someone taking TK to Ukraine. The agent pulled out a print out with all the countries TK flies to, found Ukraine and told me that the only thing Ukraine requires (according to TK anyway) is a Ukraine-issued insurance. The sheet said "passengers can take a COVID test on arrival", so nothing is needed at departure.

I actually asked her to show me the print out, and sure enough - that's what it said.

My reading of the Ukrainian rules suggests that this may not always be the case, but whatever. So, if you are flying Turkish from US to Ukraine - proof of insurance is all that is required.
VitaliU likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 8:45 am

new rules coming into effect on Aug 5. Timatic (the system airline agents will consult when checking you in for a flight) was updated on August 1.

COVID-19 TRAVEL ALERTS
  • Covid-19 Test or Vaccine Certificate Required: Passengers aged 12 years and older must either hold a negative PCR or rapid antigen test (RAT) result obtained within 72 hours prior to arrival, or a document confirming a full course of one of the following vaccinations against Covid-19: Pfizer/BioNTech, Johnson and Johnson/Janssen, AstraZeneca/Vaxzevria, AstraZeneca/Covishield (India), AstraZeneca/SKBio (South Korea), Moderna, Sinopharm, or CoronaVac (Sinovac).

This does not apply to:
    1. Passengers in transit, provided they do not leave the airport transit zone and do not cross the border of Ukraine;
    2. Passengers holding a permanent residence permit issued by Ukraine;
    3. Employees of diplomatic missions and consular offices of foreign states, representations of official international missions, organizations accredited in Ukraine, including their family members;
    4. Crew members;
    5. Refugees; or
    6. Military personnel of the armed forces of the NATO member states and NATO member states of the Partnership for Peace program who participate in training activities for the armed forces.
  • Covid-19 Insurance Required: Passengers must hold an insurance policy certificate issued by an insurance company registered in Ukraine that covers costs related to the treatment of Covid-19, observation, and is valid for the entire period of stay.

This does not apply to:
    1. Passengers in transit, provided they do not leave the airport transit zone and do not cross the border of Ukraine;
    2. Passengers holding a permanent residence permit issued by Ukraine;
    3. Employees of diplomatic missions and consular offices of foreign states, representations of official international missions, organizations accredited in Ukraine, including their family members;
    4. Crew members;
    5. Refugees; or
    6. Military personnel of the armed forces of the NATO member states and NATO member states of the Partnership for Peace program who participate in training activities for the armed forces.
  • Covid-19 Application Required: Passengers aged 18 or older who do not hold proof that they are vaccinated against Covid-19 must download the 'Vdoma' application onto their mobile phone.
  • Covid-19 Quarantine and Test on Arrival: 10 days on arrival for passengers aged 12 years and older who do not hold proof that they are vaccinated against Covid-19. If they submit a negative PCR or Antigen test taken within 72 hours after arrival in Ukraine, their quarantine may end early.

Passengers who will leave Ukraine within 72 hours of arrival will not be required to quarantine.
  • Covid-19 Quarantine on Arrival: 14 days on arrival for unvaccinated passengers aged 12 years and older who have been in India or Russia for 7 days or more in the past 14 days.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: non
My father recently went there. However, he was allowed in only when he passed the covid test.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 6:30 am
Original Poster

So, not being content with these partial answers, I contacted Ukrainian International Airlines on Facebook. It took about a week of "canned" responses before I convinced them to actually look into this. They asked me for a copy of my CDC card and a ticket number. Finally, the reply:
Hello. Our colleagues confirmed the document is acceptable as a proof of vaccination.
This is for a US citizen departing a European country for Ukraine. I'll take this as the most authoritative answer to date and will leave it at that for now.
woody125 likes this.

Last edited by tr3k; Aug 3, 2021 at 8:10 am Reason: Better answer available
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tr3k
So, not being content with these partial answers, I contacted Ukrainian International Airlines on Facebook. It took about a week of "canned" responses before I convinced them to actually look into this. They asked me for a copy of my CDC card and a ticket number. Finally, the reply:

This is for a US citizen departing a European country for Ukraine. I'll take this as the most authoritative answer to date and will leave it at that for now.
Many thanks for your efforts in this matter. I'm leading a team of 4 from the US to Kiev the 2nd week of September on DL from ATL via AMS and KL on to KBP. All are vaxed and we'll get insurance and a test to be sure. The app mandate is not a problem for me but for 3 of the other 4 their employers will not like that. Hopefully, that won't be necessary. PLEASE report any variations you find should you travel before we do. I'll do the same when we go as well. Thank you again. This is FT at its best.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:43 pm

So Americans can enter Ukraine with just the CDC card?

How would an American purchase the required COVID insurance for Ukraine in advance?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
So Americans can enter Ukraine with just the CDC card?

How would an American purchase the required COVID insurance for Ukraine in advance?
Quite a few options, actually.
https://visitukraine.today/ - a few providers here, about $2 per day
https://www.flyuia.com/us/en/services/travel-insurance - offered through Ukrainian Intl. Airlines. Basic offering (which is enough for entry) is about $3 for 10 days

Note that insurance requirement just says policy has to be issued in Ukraine and cover COVID, there is no specific coverage amount required (verified with Ukrainian authorities).
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 12:41 pm

Experience at O’Hare

I’ve just checked in for my Lufthansa flight from Chicago to Kiev via Frankfurt. The agent wanted to see three things: passport, CDC vaccination card and insurance for Ukraine. Once she saw all of that, check in was as fast as I ever remember

I’ll post about FRA and KBP later if there is anything to post
tr3k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.