Wiki Posts
Search

Hungary Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2021, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question Hungary Questions

I'm a US citizen, and last year, I booked a ticket to/from Hungary to the US. Then, COVID happened. At the moment, I'm unsure what the situation in Hungary looks like and whether borders will likely open by the end of the month. Hungary has been opening borders between different countries such as Romania and Germany through bilateral agreements, but as a US citizen, I'm not sure this is going to apply to me.

I'm thinking that in the worst-case scenario, I can fly into France and take the last flight into BUD in the evening. Is it possible for me to stay and sleep airside in the transit zone and then take the first flight out of BUD (on my original scheduled itinerary) the next morning? It's been years since I've traveled to Hungary and I'm not sure what the layout looks like. I'd appreciate any insights or help!

Thanks
Old Jun 13, 2021, 7:18 pm

I can’t really answer but I thought Hungary is the worst per capita in Europe right now.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA/AA
You currently can't enter Hungary unless you are a Hungarian citizen, or have a business invitation. My guess is it's pretty unlikely Hungary will re-open its borders in June. More likely they'll continue to allow the pandemic to settle down, and reopen mid-summer. Hungary really screwed up it's management of Covid, and Prime Minister Orban is up for re-election next year. The last thing he needs is to screw things up again.

When I was last there (Spring 2020), they had cots out for people in-transit who needed to overnight, but couldn't enter the country. Don't know if that's still going on.

I'd recommend you email the Budapest airport about your current options. They're pretty good about getting back to you:

[email protected]
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:49 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
This should be the current regulations at the airport:

https://www.bud.hu/en/covid_19/infor...eaving_hungary
Old Jun 14, 2021, 4:13 am

The answer might be to get a ticket to a motor sports event:

Hungary Today
Old Jun 15, 2021, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by jaymar01
You currently can't enter Hungary unless you are a Hungarian citizen, or have a business invitation. My guess is it's pretty unlikely Hungary will re-open its borders in June. More likely they'll continue to allow the pandemic to settle down, and reopen mid-summer. Hungary really screwed up it's management of Covid, and Prime Minister Orban is up for re-election next year. The last thing he needs is to screw things up again.

When I was last there (Spring 2020), they had cots out for people in-transit who needed to overnight, but couldn't enter the country. Don't know if that's still going on.

I'd recommend you email the Budapest airport about your current options. They're pretty good about getting back to you:

[email protected]
I'll try emailing them later today. Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by rrgg
I can’t really answer but I thought Hungary is the worst per capita in Europe right now.
Used to be in the spring. Now one of the best
Old Jun 24, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Hungary was supposed to reopen to Schengen area today (June, 24th) , but I don't see any official info to that effect. Does anyone here know something?
Old Jun 24, 2021, 3:51 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
https://dailynewshungary.com/breakin...o-be-expected/
quinzinho likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:30 am

My apologies for my tardiness to this thread.. I am an American Citizen currently in Hungary. I arrived the beginning of June 2021, and I do not have EU citizenship. Prior to my travel, I had to submit a request for entry to the Hungarian National Police, on the basis of having immediate family in Hungary. They approved my entry in less than 24 hours, and emailed me the document with the approval & QR Code. The Approval Document is in Hungarian, but the Hungarian Consulate in LA gave me a translation at no charge.

I was asked to present these docs at my origin (LAS), my European Transit (FRA), and at arrival (BUD). Lufthansa would not give me my boarding card at FRA, until I presented the entry approval paperwork. The people who cared the least about the docs, were the Hungarian Police at BUD. I had to quarantine for (10) days - which I did in the flat I rented for the Summer. The Police did not check on me during quarantine, but I have been told that they have checked in on others.

Info from BUD (English):

At this point, it seems that Hungarians aren't that concerned about COVID, or at least in the area where I am. I was asked for my Vax Card one time. (I was wanting to sit & eat in a food court) Masks are required on public transport & in shops.

Land Borders are opening up to EU citizens.. but being a US citizen who will be in Hungary through mid-August, I am not taking any chances on leaving the country & then having to re-enter, even if it is Schengen.

Here is a useful website for the Hungarian Police & the status of their Land Border Crossings - FT won't let me post the URL, but if you google "Hungarian Land Borders" and follow the link to the Police.hu - that will take you were you want to go.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by quinzinho
Hungary was supposed to reopen to Schengen area today (June, 24th) , but I don't see any official info to that effect. Does anyone here know something?
Land borders have re-opened but there are still some restrictions on air travel.

One problem is that the EU Digital Covid Certificate is still not working in Hungary. It was promised for mid-June, but that has now been put back to 30th June, with a promise of full re-opening from 1st July (the official EU-wide start date).
Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by JoshTrent
My apologies for my tardiness to this thread.. I am an American Citizen currently in Hungary. I arrived the beginning of June 2021, and I do not have EU citizenship. Prior to my travel, I had to submit a request for entry to the Hungarian National Police, on the basis of having immediate family in Hungary. They approved my entry in less than 24 hours, and emailed me the document with the approval & QR Code. The Approval Document is in Hungarian, but the Hungarian Consulate in LA gave me a translation at no charge.

I was asked to present these docs at my origin (LAS), my European Transit (FRA), and at arrival (BUD). Lufthansa would not give me my boarding card at FRA, until I presented the entry approval paperwork. The people who cared the least about the docs, were the Hungarian Police at BUD. I had to quarantine for (10) days - which I did in the flat I rented for the Summer. The Police did not check on me during quarantine, but I have been told that they have checked in on others.

Info from BUD (English):

At this point, it seems that Hungarians aren't that concerned about COVID, or at least in the area where I am. I was asked for my Vax Card one time. (I was wanting to sit & eat in a food court) Masks are required on public transport & in shops.

Land Borders are opening up to EU citizens.. but being a US citizen who will be in Hungary through mid-August, I am not taking any chances on leaving the country & then having to re-enter, even if it is Schengen.

Here is a useful website for the Hungarian Police & the status of their Land Border Crossings - FT won't let me post the URL, but if you google "Hungarian Land Borders" and follow the link to the Police.hu - that will take you were you want to go.
Thanks so much for this account. I'm a US citizen traveling to Hungary in a few weeks, also with an approval document with QR code, so this was extremely helpful. Much appreciated.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by railways
Land borders have re-opened but there are still some restrictions on air travel.

One problem is that the EU Digital Covid Certificate is still not working in Hungary. It was promised for mid-June, but that has now been put back to 30th June, with a promise of full re-opening from 1st July (the official EU-wide start date).
Can a US citizen/resident thus enter Hungary via land for tourism purposes without requirements? And would travel by rail fall into "land entry?"
Old Jul 10, 2021, 3:35 pm

Bumping this thread hoping to get some clarification on entry requirements. I found the following link from the Hungarian police: Information on general rules of border crossing | A Magyar Rend?rség hivatalos honlapja

There appear to be two contradictory statements in there that I am hoping someone here can clarify:

Except in the case of entry by civil aircraft, entry into Hungary from Croatia, Austria, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia and Slovenia, regardless of nationality or protection against the coronavirus, is possible without epidemiological restrictions, but providing other general conditions of entry (eg valid travel document) is necessary.
That would imply that any person entering Hungary by land (except from Ukraine) is fine and does not need any sort of covid-related documentation. However, further down on the same webpage, is this:

Foreign citizens arriving from abroad in passenger traffic – unless otherwise specified by law or government decree – shall not enter Hungary.
So are foreign citizens allowed to enter by land, or not??
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Seph87
Bumping this thread hoping to get some clarification on entry requirements. I found the following link from the Hungarian police: Information on general rules of border crossing | A Magyar Rend?rség hivatalos honlapja

There appear to be two contradictory statements in there that I am hoping someone here can clarify:

That would imply that any person entering Hungary by land (except from Ukraine) is fine and does not need any sort of covid-related documentation. However, further down on the same webpage, is this:

Wondering the same.
​​​​​

So are foreign citizens allowed to enter by land, or not??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.