Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is the EU really reopening for U.S citizens in mid-June?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the EU really reopening for U.S citizens in mid-June?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by IamHungry
I know Greece is now open for vaccinated Americans. I wonder can we travel inside EU after we entered Greece? Will there be any check point to prevent Americans flying/driving to another EU country?
Yes, several Schengen countries have reinstated full passport control for Schengen flights since March 2020. So make sure you travel to Schengen member states that are accepting/will accept Americans.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Yes, several Schengen countries have reinstated full passport control for Schengen flights since March 2020. So make sure you travel to Schengen member states that are accepting/will accept Americans.
is there a list somewhere?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
I don't think that there is an official list. But I can cite at least France and Sweden. Note that France is supposed to welcome again Americans from June 9, but there is still an uncertainty as France wants reciprocity from the US and this is lingering...
Passport control may take many forms from the classical one to just police checking documents and eligibility in the jetway when disembarking (Italy, Spain, etc).
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

I just posted some new information about possibility for Americans to come in France from June 9 in the AF forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33295794-post1302.html
It seems that reciprocity for US is not anymore on the table for France.
spainlover and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/wh...der-control_en

and in the first of the related documents link.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It seems like if a person can get into France, Italy, Greece, or elsewhere in the Schengen area, then they can enter Sweden after doing a visit to the “open” Schengen countries and flying directly from the “open” Schengen countries to Sweden.

So if a country in the Schengen area is “open” to most other Schengen countries citizens and you can get into any one Schengen country, then your chances to visit other parts of the EU/Schengen area may rise if you plan it right and pay close attention while planning and up to the moment of onward intra-Schengen/EU travel.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:16 pm

I think once you are in EU (Greece or Italy) as an American, you can fly to other EU countries pretty freely even though they bar Americans. This is an example of Poland for American citizen. But double check on the countries you would like to visit.

Admission and Transit Restrictions:

Passengers are not allowed to enter. Information: This does not apply to spouses and children of nationals of Poland. Information: This does not apply to passengers under the constant care of nationals of Poland. Information: This does not apply to spouses and children of nationals of EEA Member States and Switzerland. Information: This does not apply to spouses and children of British nationals. Information: This does not apply to passengers traveling as students in Poland. Information: This does not apply to passengers arriving from Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland. Information: This does not apply to passengers with a Polish Card (Karta Polaka).
Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It seems like if a person can get into France, Italy, Greece, or elsewhere in the Schengen area, then they can enter Sweden after doing a visit to the “open” Schengen countries and flying directly from the “open” Schengen countries to Sweden.

So if a country in the Schengen area is “open” to most other Schengen countries citizens and you can get into any one Schengen country, then your chances to visit other parts of the EU/Schengen area may rise if you plan it right and pay close attention while planning and up to the moment of onward intra-Schengen/EU travel.
As a bonus, if you make that a Nordic country (Iceland being the only "open" one at the moment) you can even forego the testing requirement going directly into Sweden now

https://polisen.se/en/the-swedish-po...d-from-sweden/

Entry from another Nordic country

From 31 May 2021 regular entry requirements are enforced for foreigners entering Sweden directly from Denmark, Finland, Iceland or Norway, meaning it is no longer necessary to be covered by an exemption or present a negative covid test. This is regardless of the foreigner's citizenship. Ordinary entry regulations according to the Schengen Border Code are in effect, and from 2015 the Swedish Police can perform border control at an inner border: Temporary border controls regardless of the corona restrictions.

From June 1st the Public Health Agency of Sweden no longer recommends covid test and quarantine after homecoming for Swedish or foreign citizens without symptoms, if entering from EU, EEA, the Schengen area, from the UK and anumber of other countries.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:49 pm

Interesting info about the EU digital COVID-10 certificate and how it could affect people from non-EU countries.

https://us.cnn.com/travel/article/eu...vel/index.html
Old Jun 5, 2021, 4:20 pm

I'm a little questioning when it comes to how USA vaccinations would be ported over to the EU pass. Will the traveller be the one to enter vaccine information? Or the airline? If so, who will verify the data? Otherwise, will this be a state government responsibility? I could not imagine any state getting their act together to handle a process of this type for this Summer, even setting aside the "freedom" and "privacy" arguments. The federal government is in no shape to gather vaccine data from all the states and serve as the uploading agent either. I am sort of suspecting those little CDC cards will still be needed, and will have to be accepted, for the short- to medium-term. But we'll see in a week or two as things firm up.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by IamHungry
I think once you are in EU (Greece or Italy) as an American, you can fly to other EU countries pretty freely even though they bar Americans. This is an example of Poland for American citizen. But double check on the countries you would like to visit.

Admission and Transit Restrictions:

Passengers are not allowed to enter. Information: This does not apply to spouses and children of nationals of Poland. Information: This does not apply to passengers under the constant care of nationals of Poland. Information: This does not apply to spouses and children of nationals of EEA Member States and Switzerland. Information: This does not apply to spouses and children of British nationals. Information: This does not apply to passengers traveling as students in Poland. Information: This does not apply to passengers arriving from Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland. Information: This does not apply to passengers with a Polish Card (Karta Polaka).
Any successful data points with Poland specifically?
Would be flying from either Greece or Bulgaria.
Is North Macedonia considered Greece for purposes of entry regulations?
​​​​​​
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:35 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SiPi
Is North Macedonia considered Greece for purposes of entry regulations?
​​​​​​
North Macedonia is a country of its own, a former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia, now independent. Due to a naming dispute with Greece, they had to change the country name to "North Macedonia". DO NOT make a mistake and say that it's part of Greece - to neither side
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by hdogan
North Macedonia is a country of its own, a former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia, now independent. Due to a naming dispute with Greece, they had to change the country name to "North Macedonia". DO NOT make a mistake and say that it's part of Greece - to neither side
Oops, ok. Thanks for the sage advice 😉
Problem is, most reopening sites don't list anything for North Macedonia, so I assumed (partly due to geographics) that they are part of Greece. Also due to it being referenced in many places as part of Northern Greece.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:42 pm

So if I wanted to fly to Poland from neighboring Airport Sofia, Bulgaria, would I be allowed to travel from Macedonia to Bulgaria to get to the airport? (are there borders to cross between North Macedonia and Bulgaria?)
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:45 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SiPi
Oops, ok. Thanks for the sage advice 😉
Problem is, most reopening sites don't list anything for North Macedonia, so I assumed (partly due to geographics) that they are part of Greece. Also due to it being referenced in many places as part of Northern Greece.
So, to make it a bit more confusing: There *is* a Greek province of Macedonia, which is in the north. But, even more north of this, there's a *country* called (North) Macedonia. So, when people refer to "Northern Greece", they refer to the province (of Greece). When they say "North Macedonia", then mean the country.

To make it even more complicated, North Macedonia (the country) is not part of the EU, so it is treated just like any other 3rd country for the purpose of any entry regulations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.