Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is the EU really reopening for U.S citizens in mid-June?

Is the EU really reopening for U.S citizens in mid-June?

Old May 26, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jmj9905
We have booked a trip to Croatia. Slovenia and Austria. We will be traveling 9/28-10/28. Fingers crossed!
Croatia is open to fully vaccinated tourists with confirmed lodging bookings.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:53 pm

Thanks hdogan. Good to know. Now just need to hope Slovinia and Austria open up.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jmj9905
Thanks hdogan. Good to know. Now just need to hope Slovinia and Austria open up.
Slovenia is already open to foreigners with a proof of negative test or vaccination certificate.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 11:00 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
Thinking of doing Switzerland and italy in august, hope they open up by then
Old May 30, 2021, 3:19 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
The best start to get a basic of current regulations is https://reopen.europa.eu/en/ . You might re-check the information with the national websites but at least you have one site to start. The biggest problem currently is that most EU countries still do not allow foreigners (besides a view exceptions) to enter. A vacation trip is not one of these exceptions but there a some countries which allow it (see Croatia). In addition even if you are eligible for entry you must check the quarantine rules and if a country exempts one from quarantine if you are fully vaccinated ( with a vaccine which is approved by the EMA like Biontech-Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Moderna or Johnson&Johnson).

So you can make planes for a trip to Europe in summer but have back-up plans prepared and be prepared to change you trip last minute. I a worst case you might even get stuck for a couple of days in a country.
Old May 30, 2021, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by fbcooper
Thinking of doing Switzerland and italy in august, hope they open up by then
I don't want to be pessimistic but Switzerland wouldn't open to US citizens specifically unless there is a general opening or recommendation by other Schengen member states. Although Switzerland is rich in terms of tourism, they are not a tourism dependent country.

Italy is open at this time for US citizens, however, you must arrive on a quarantine-free flight from the USA to avoid self-isolation upon arrival. So plan to fly to Milan or Rome with a quarantine-free flight direct from the USA.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

I just want to ask and clarify some things directly...

As a fully vaccinated U.S citizen.. I'm looking at two travel options.. 1) fly from a U.S city to Turkey via Amsterdam with Delta or 2) fly from a U.S city to somewhere in Europe (Croatia, Cyprus, Greece, or Spain) via Frankfurt with Lufthansa.

Would both of these options be allowed? I know with Turkey I've read they don't care about vaccination and they still need a negative test.. so perhaps I should choose the Croatia, Cyprus, Greece, or Spain option so I don't need to worry about the test?

Mainly I just want to confirm that I don't need a COVID test for transmitting Frankfurt or Amsterdam and that it's allowed to do so.

I guess a third option I'm looking at would be flying from the U.S and transiting via Istanbul or Dubai to Tbilisi, Georgia. Would this option be allowed? and wouldn't require a test to transit through Istanbul or Dubai? I know that Georgia is accepting fully vaccinated U.S travelers..
Old May 30, 2021, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
I just want to ask and clarify some things directly...

As a fully vaccinated U.S citizen.. I'm looking at two travel options.. 1) fly from a U.S city to Turkey via Amsterdam with Delta or 2) fly from a U.S city to somewhere in Europe (Croatia, Cyprus, Greece, or Spain) via Frankfurt with Lufthansa.

Would both of these options be allowed? I know with Turkey I've read they don't care about vaccination and they still need a negative test.. so perhaps I should choose the Croatia, Cyprus, Greece, or Spain option so I don't need to worry about the test?

Mainly I just want to confirm that I don't need a COVID test for transmitting Frankfurt or Amsterdam and that it's allowed to do so.

I guess a third option I'm looking at would be flying from the U.S and transiting via Istanbul or Dubai to Tbilisi, Georgia. Would this option be allowed? and wouldn't require a test to transit through Istanbul or Dubai? I know that Georgia is accepting fully vaccinated U.S travelers..
First, it's really easy to get a test at Turkey and Istanbul Airport has a facility where you could get a rapid test for return to the USA. For flying to Turkey, you would need a PCR test but in most major cities you would be able to get a PCR test within the last 72 hours before your first flight departs from the USA.

If you are transferring AMS and FRA to another country that admits you, their COVID related restrictions would apply, so no COVID test would be required if your final destination doesn't require one. For the 4 countries you've stated, you wouldn't need a test to go there if you are vaccinated, however, on your way back, you would still need to take a test to return to the USA regardless which country you depart.

For option #3, you don't need a COVID test to transfer IST or DXB but you would need to remain at the international transfer zone during your transfer if you don't meet the COVID test criteria of Turkey or UAE so you wouldn't be able to leave the airport during your layover.
Old May 30, 2021, 4:37 pm

ISTFLYER thanks for the information on Slovenia.
Old May 30, 2021, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Slovenia is already open to foreigners with a proof of negative test or vaccination certificate.
I believe Slovenia is still only open for essential travel and not tourism for most countries, including US citizens. It is open for transiting through but not yet for tourist activity. I’ve got a trip booked to Croatia in the fall and am planning to go to Slovenia, but as of now, my understanding is that it isn’t open. I’m hoping that will change soon.
https://si.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Last edited by progol; May 30, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Old May 30, 2021, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If you are transferring AMS and FRA to another country that admits you, their COVID related restrictions would apply, so no COVID test would be required if your final destination doesn't require one. For the 4 countries you've stated, you wouldn't need a test to go there if you are vaccinated, however, on your way back, you would still need to take a test to return to the USA regardless which country you depart.
I don’t know for FRA, but this is incorrect for AMS : a PCR test is required to transit in AMS, even if the final destination doesn’t require it. It should be <72 hrs before arrival time in AMS.
Old May 31, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Exclamation

Originally Posted by progol
I believe Slovenia is still only open for essential travel and not tourism for most countries, including US citizens. It is open for transiting through but not yet for tourist activity. I’ve got a trip booked to Croatia in the fall and am planning to go to Slovenia, but as of now, my understanding is that it isn’t open. I’m hoping that will change soon.
https://si.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
progol is correct. Non essential travel is still not allowed. To everyone: Do not confuse the lift of quarantine regulations with the general entry rules! Yes, a lot of countries lift the quarantine rules for fully vaccinated people but the general entry rules are still in place.

https://www.policija.si/eng/newsroom...virus-epidemic

Restriction of non-urgent travel for third country nationals entering Slovenia at external Schengen borders

The regime of entry into the Republic of Slovenia (the EU and Schengen area) is determined on the basis of the list of countries as to their epidemiological status drawn up by the Slovenian Government. Entry without restrictions only applies for those traveling from countries that are not on the red list. Persons travelling from third countries that are not on the red list are still required to demonstrate the urgency of their travel to Slovenia. Travellers must demonstrate that they are eligible for exemptions to travel restrictions as determined in the Ordinance determining the conditions of entry into the Republic of Slovenia to contain and control COVID-19.
Old May 31, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1.3 Million Mile, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President Circle, Global Entry
How do we anticipate US citizens will be asked/required to prove vaccination. I know the EU is working on an app to coordinate the individual member states' apps, but at least most if not all states have state systems/apps that have tracked vaccinations within their states and they may have issued its citizens a q code for the EU app the grab, so the EU travel issue seems to be coordinating that. What will they do with US citizens and the hap-hazard hand written "vaccine cards?" Will the burden be on the airlines to check this? Will the IATA app be up and running across enough airlines to work?
Old May 31, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by adagio
How do we anticipate US citizens will be asked/required to prove vaccination. I know the EU is working on an app to coordinate the individual member states' apps, but at least most if not all states have state systems/apps that have tracked vaccinations within their states and they may have issued its citizens a q code for the EU app the grab, so the EU travel issue seems to be coordinating that. What will they do with US citizens and the hap-hazard hand written "vaccine cards?" Will the burden be on the airlines to check this? Will the IATA app be up and running across enough airlines to work?
They'll have no practical choice but to accept the CDC cards - that's all most Americans are going to have. There's no way the states will allow foreign governments access to their vaccine databases to verify anything. There isn't any (and there never will be any) federal database, and even if there was the feds would likewise never agree to allow foreign governments access to that. I guess the US government could try to set up something, but by the time they worked through all the legal, political, and technological issues, COVID will probably be over.

Last edited by LETTERBOY; May 31, 2021 at 2:43 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:35 am

I know Greece is now open for vaccinated Americans. I wonder can we travel inside EU after we entered Greece? Will there be any check point to prevent Americans flying/driving to another EU country?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.