Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Old May 25, 2021, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
We are DFW- FRA (AA) and FRA-JTR (LH) and should not need a PCR as both countries accept CDC vaccine card. Germany says no PLF needed for transit. So on paper it SHOULD be simple. My only concern is AA says nope at the gate.
Assuming that this is on a separate ticket, you might be denied boarding at DFW.
Also, if possible travel HBO.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Assuming that this is on a separate ticket, you might be denied boarding at DFW.
Also, if possible travel HBO.
We are HBO and I am beyond stressed about this.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
We are HBO and I am beyond stressed about this.
I would suggest you to pay the fare difference and fly DFW-ORD/JFK-ATH on AA and cancel the LH ticket.
It might cost a little bit extra but it would save you a lot of hassle.

You could then purchase a separate ATH-JTR ticket. Domestic flights within Greece are not expensive.
Old May 25, 2021, 11:01 am

It seems from this thread that Greece is not looking particularly closely at the name on the CDC card, correct? My wife and I got married in October but wanted to honeymoon in Greece. We are arriving 6/16. Unfortunately, her passport still has her maiden name and it's too late to update. Her vaccination card has her married name. We got a letter and print out of immunization records from her Doctor stating her married and maiden names. We will also plan to bring the marriage license which also displays it. Does anyone anticipate this being an issue? I'm just not sure how strict they are being, since it states full name "must match passport or any other recognized travel document." I am having a hard time finding out what the 'other recognized travel documents' would include.

Thanks so much!
Old May 25, 2021, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by wkeough
It seems from this thread that Greece is not looking particularly closely at the name on the CDC card, correct? My wife and I got married in October but wanted to honeymoon in Greece. We are arriving 6/16. Unfortunately, her passport still has her maiden name and it's too late to update. Her vaccination card has her married name. We got a letter and print out of immunization records from her Doctor stating her married and maiden names. We will also plan to bring the marriage license which also displays it. Does anyone anticipate this being an issue? I'm just not sure how strict they are being, since it states full name "must match passport or any other recognized travel document." I am having a hard time finding out what the 'other recognized travel documents' would include.

Thanks so much!
I feel that is too much a roll of the dice...I would recommend that she obtain a Covid test in her maiden name (passport name) prior to travel to Greece.
Old May 27, 2021, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by boscobjgd
I'd like to add my experience. My husband and I are US citizens, fully vaccinated and arrived yesterday:
1. We transited through Amsterdam to Greece from the US (LAX-AMS-ATH) without any problem;
2. On arrival in Athens, there were separate lines for people with vaccination cards and those who only had the PCR test. The vaccinated line was significantly shorter (think five people v. a hundred) and wasn't subject to secondary health screening;
3. The person at the head of the line glanced at our cards (presumably saw they were CDC cards) and waved us through. He didn't check it against our passports.
Originally Posted by Amil
wow you went through schengen with no issues? thats kind of breakthrough

Hi all .... checking this forum partly for this exact reason.

mrs_dergon and I looking at a trip to the Greek Islands in July. We're both Americans on US passports, both fully vaccinated (I'm team Moderna, she's pfizer)

We are looking to fly in to Santorini. Flights looks significantly more logistically easy transiting through europe (either FRA or ZRH) then on to Santorini. Other less desirable option is EWR to Athens ... then probably spend the night and get connector to Santorini the next day.

But I was hoping to do the whole thing just on vaccine card without having to worry about testing. So .... will vaccination card do the trick in FRA or ZRH?

Now on to the more fun part --

Also looking for recommendations for hotels on Santorini.... luxury/near-luxury preferred. Also would like to think about another island or 2 since we might have 2 weeks.

Really looking forward to your advice!

Thanks!

(ps -- this will be my first flight since 2/20 ... I feel like my travel booking skills and confidence have atrophied)
Old May 27, 2021, 3:51 pm
bdb

I have stayed here twice - http://www.anastasisapartments.com and was hoping to stay again next week, but they aren't opening until Mid June when we are back in the US, its a small place with the most amazing personal service .. So we are going to Crete and Mykonos instead this time.
Old May 27, 2021, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Also looking for recommendations for hotels on Santorini.... luxury/near-luxury preferred. Also would like to think about another island or 2 since we might have 2 weeks.

Really looking forward to your advice!

Thanks!

(ps -- this will be my first flight since 2/20 ... I feel like my travel booking skills and confidence have atrophied)
You might try asking for hotel recommendations at Luxury Hotels and Travel - FlyerTalk Forums

It is a struggle to remember how to do travel things after more than a year.
Old May 28, 2021, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by bdb
I have stayed here twice - http://www.anastasisapartments.com and was hoping to stay again next week, but they aren't opening until Mid June when we are back in the US, its a small place with the most amazing personal service .. So we are going to Crete and Mykonos instead this time.
That looks really nice, thanks

Originally Posted by richarddd
You might try asking for hotel recommendations at Luxury Hotels and Travel - FlyerTalk Forums

It is a struggle to remember how to do travel things after more than a year.
Yeah. Thanks. I always *say* luxury .... then get sticker shock and go down one or two levels

________

Anyway ... as a basic itinerary for a first timer:

Fly CLE-ATH
1 Night Athens
Fly Athens to Santorini
4 night Santorini
High speed ferry vs fly?? Santorini to Crete
4 nights Crete
Fly Crete to Cle (either via Athens again if I have to or transit in Europe somewhere if vax status is good enough)

I don't think it's too ambitious. Feels OK ... but would totally welcome tweaking before I pull the trigger.

______

Also -- Any comment on the Vendema on Santorini. It's Marriott ... easy enough to just click.

Last edited by dergon darkhelm; May 28, 2021 at 5:59 am
Old May 28, 2021, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Rates have gone up since the last few weeks...The Imerovigli area IMO is the best in Santorini for the view...If you can get a deal like this in Imerogivli, you will be lucky...I like this hotel, stayed there.

AFROESSA HOTEL $126 ($̶1̶6̶1̶) - Prices & Reviews - Imerovigli, Greece - Tripadvisor
Old May 28, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Gold 0.659MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
That looks really nice, thanks

Yeah. Thanks. I always *say* luxury .... then get sticker shock and go down one or two levels

________

Anyway ... as a basic itinerary for a first timer:

Fly CLE-ATH
1 Night Athens
Fly Athens to Santorini
4 night Santorini
High speed ferry vs fly?? Santorini to Crete
4 nights Crete
Fly Crete to Cle (either via Athens again if I have to or transit in Europe somewhere if vax status is good enough)

I don't think it's too ambitious. Feels OK ... but would totally welcome tweaking before I pull the trigger.

______

Also -- Any comment on the Vendema on Santorini. It's Marriott ... easy enough to just click.

Im on the Santorini > Heraklion (Crete) high-speed ferry as i type this. Based on my research, this is the most time and cost-effective way to make the trip. Didnt find any direct air service between the two islands, so youll be backtracking to ATH, and the ferry is only 2 hours.

On Santorini, we stayed the last few days at a small place called Ersi Villas, certainly not luxury, and the view is to the East rather than the caldera, but the price was right for a last minute booking and the service was great.

I cant vouch for the Vendema property but we did consider burning some MR points there. Ultimately decided against it as its a bit outside the main towns where we figured to spend a good bit of time. Looks like a lovely place though. And would make for a very quick transfer to the Crete ferry should you decide to go that route.
dergon darkhelm likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We flew AA/Lufthansa LAX-DFW-FRA-Santorini no problems. Vaccine card only at LAX, FRA and here. Also filled out Greece PLF. No issues despite several people telling us it would be.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture
Im on the Santorini > Heraklion (Crete) high-speed ferry as i type this. Based on my research, this is the most time and cost-effective way to make the trip. Didnt find any direct air service between the two islands, so youll be backtracking to ATH, and the ferry is only 2 hours.

On Santorini, we stayed the last few days at a small place called Ersi Villas, certainly not luxury, and the view is to the East rather than the caldera, but the price was right for a last minute booking and the service was great.

I cant vouch for the Vendema property but we did consider burning some MR points there. Ultimately decided against it as its a bit outside the main towns where we figured to spend a good bit of time. Looks like a lovely place though. And would make for a very quick transfer to the Crete ferry should you decide to go that route.
Wow ... great... this thread is really paying off.

High speed ferry it is .
Old May 29, 2021, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Things got emotional today at ATH...

The first direct flight from the USA has arrived in Greece (newsbeezer.com)
Old May 29, 2021, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by boscobjgd
I'd like to add my experience. My husband and I are US citizens, fully vaccinated and arrived yesterday:
1. We transited through Amsterdam to Greece from the US (LAX-AMS-ATH) without any problem;
2. On arrival in Athens, there were separate lines for people with vaccination cards and those who only had the PCR test. The vaccinated line was significantly shorter (think five people v. a hundred) and wasn't subject to secondary health screening;
3. The person at the head of the line glanced at our cards (presumably saw they were CDC cards) and waved us through. He didn't check it against our passports.
Did you guys clear immigration entering EU at AMS? Or did they put you into a special transit zone to ATH? I mean if you enter through AMS then you can actually drop the flight to ATH and just enter EU at the transit point?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.