Reload this Page >

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Where does one get a Covid-19 PCR test for return to the US, especially in Athens? Near the airport? Any places have rapid test results?
Old May 18, 2021, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by flyzabit
Where does one get a Covid-19 PCR test for return to the US, especially in Athens? Near the airport? Any places have rapid test results?

according to the US embassy site. 15 euros at the airport!

COVID-19 Testing
  • Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Greece? Yes
  • If so, are test results reliably available within 72 hours? Yes
  • COVID-19 tests are available at many major hospitals in Greece, as well as the Athens Eleftherios Venizelos Airport (at Arrivals level between entrances 2-3; see FAQ for more details). Testing is paid by the individual being tested. The cost for COVID-19 PCR tests is capped at 60 euros, and for antigen (rapid) tests at 15 euros. Patients needing COVID-19 tests or exhibiting possible symptoms may contact the COVID-19 hotline at 1135 for guidance on testing and referral for medical care. Travelers are recommended to contact testing centers in advance for appointments and not expect to be able to test and receive results the day of travel.
  • Test results may be delivered by e-mail or in hard copy provided in person; consult with the testing facility regarding the method results are communicated for your specific circumstance.
  • For information on limited humanitarian exemptions to the COVID-19 testing requirement for U.S. entry, please review the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-us-entry.html. If you review the information at the preceding link and believe you qualify for a humanitarian exemption despite widespread availability of testing in Greece, use the contact information at the bottom of this page to make your request.
Old May 20, 2021, 1:01 pm
bdb

thanks to the folks on this thread, just booked LAX-MUC-ATH leaving on the 29th of May.
then on to Santorini / Mykonos .
Old May 20, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
PCR is generally 40-60 euros, and rapid 15-20 euros.
Old May 21, 2021, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by bdb
thanks to the folks on this thread, just booked LAX-MUC-ATH leaving on the 29th of May.
then on to Santorini / Mykonos .
I hope you succeed on your itinerary; there were positive news about transferring at The Netherlands to Greece but the experience for transferring at Germany might not be the same. We still lack reports of a non-EU citizen traveling XXX-Germany-Greece in this forum.

Please don't forget to report back your experience.
bdb likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Took a ferry from Athens to Mykonos this morning. A couple of rookie mistakes led to a bit of an adventure checking in and finding the correct ship, and nearly caused us to miss the boat, but from a COVID perspective things weren't very complicated. This particular ferry line (Sea Jet) did not actually verify your vaccination or testing status, you merely have to fill out an attestation form stating you have tested negative (including via self-test) or have been fully vaccinated. They encourage you to print these beforehand, but also provide them at the terminal. The forms were collected during boarding but were not reviewed for accuracy or completeness.

Long story short, my anecdotal experience is that the island test/vaccine rules are nothing more than an honor system.

We were also told that traveling among the islands will not require more forms to be filled out - the "requirement" is apparently only in place when traveling from the mainland.

Last edited by thewayofthefuture; May 21, 2021 at 7:14 am
Old May 21, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Awesome update. We are transiting FRA to Santorini in a couple of weeks, happy to share our experience or hear anyone else's on transit in FRA or arrival in JTR.
Originally Posted by DPatel
Based on my understanding that if we are fully vaccinated (>14 days), we just need a CDC card to transit Frankfurt to get to Greece. I believe Germany just updated the requirement and now allows fully vaccinated travelers from the US transit to other countries.

Anyone look into this / transit thru Germany recently?
I'm interested in finding out too. I'm flying EWR-LHR-ATH-FRA-EWR in late June.
Old May 21, 2021, 8:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I've made air reservations for a September trip to Athens and one of the islands; haven;t decided which one and am looking at guidebooks. I'm going on United from Hawaii and there were roundtrips for 70,000 United miles. I've never been to Greece and am looking forward to the history, and it seemed a nice change from usual trips to London, Paris, etc.
Any island suggestions? I like to body surf and am gay, although not looking for a gay scene.
Old May 22, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
So I'm reviewing the wording for Germany entry rules

US-FRA-GREECE
Originally Posted by https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/coronavirus
When travelling from or to the Schengen area you will need to leave the international transit area of an airport – for example when travelling from Moscow (outside Schengen) via Frankfurt (transit) to Madrid (Schengen area) or the other way. Therefore these travels do constitute an entry to Germany and the requirements detailed above on entry registration, requirements for mandatory testing or providing proof of vaccination, quarantine regulations and travel bans from countries affected by coronavirus variants must be observed.
Originally Posted by https://www.iatatravelcentre.com
1. Passengers arriving from a country other than Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini (Swaziland), India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nepal, South Africa, Zambia or Zimbabwe are not allowed to enter.
- This does not apply to:
- nationals of EEA Member States and Switzerland;
- passengers arriving from Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland;
- immediate family members of nationals of EEA Member States and Switzerland. They must present proof of their family relationship;
- immediate family members of residents of Germany. They must present proof of their family relationship;
- passengers with a residence permit issued by an EEA Member State or Switzerland;
- British nationals with a residence permit issued by Germany before 31 December 2020;
- passengers with a long term "D" visa issued by an EEA Member State or Switzerland;
- residents of Australia, Israel, Korea (Rep.), New Zealand, Singapore and Thailand. They must have been living in the residence country for at least 6 months;
- military personnel;
- merchant seamen;
- students;
- unmarried partners of residents of Germany. They must have a written invitation and a copy of the identity document of the resident in Germany. They must also have a declaration and be able to present proof of their relationship.
5. Passengers entering or transiting through Germany from a country other than Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini (Swaziland), India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nepal, South Africa, Zambia or Zimbabwe must have:
- a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken at most 48 hours before arrival; or
- a negative COVID-19 PCR, RT-LAMP or TMA test taken at most 72 hours before arrival.
The test result must be in English, French or German.
- passengers younger than 6 years;
- passengers with a positive COVID-19 PCR, RT-LAMP or TMA test result issued at least 28 days and at most 6 months before arrival. They must in the past 10 days have not been in Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini (Swaziland), India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nepal, South Africa, Zambia or Zimbabwe;
- passengers with a COVID-19 vaccination certificate if they in the past 10 days have not been in Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini (Swaziland), India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nepal, South Africa, Zambia or Zimbabwe. The certificate must state that they received the vaccine at least 14 days before departure and must be in in English, French, German, Italian or Spanish. Vaccines accepted are AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Janssen, Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech;
- passengers transiting through Germany to a non-Schengen Member State.
Greece-FRA-US
Originally Posted by https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/
1. Passengers arriving from a country other than Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini (Swaziland), India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nepal, South Africa, Zambia or Zimbabwe are not allowed to enter.

- nationals of EEA Member States and Switzerland;
- passengers arriving from Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland;
- immediate family members of nationals of EEA Member States and Switzerland. They must present proof of their family relationship;
- immediate family members of residents of Germany. They must present proof of their family relationship;
- passengers with a residence permit issued by an EEA Member State or Switzerland;
- British nationals with a residence permit issued by Germany before 31 December 2020;
- passengers with a long term "D" visa issued by an EEA Member State or Switzerland;
- residents of Australia, Israel, Korea (Rep.), New Zealand, Singapore and Thailand. They must have been living in the residence country for at least 6 months;
- military personnel;
- merchant seamen;
- students;
- unmarried partners of residents of Germany. They must have a written invitation and a copy of the identity document of the resident in Germany. They must also have a declaration and be able to present proof of their relationship.
5. Passengers entering or transiting through Germany from a country other than Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini (Swaziland), India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nepal, South Africa, Zambia or Zimbabwe must have:
- a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken at most 48 hours before arrival; or
- a negative COVID-19 PCR, RT-LAMP or TMA test taken at most 72 hours before arrival.
The test result must be in English, French or German.

- passengers younger than 6 years;
- passengers with a positive COVID-19 PCR, RT-LAMP or TMA test result issued at least 28 days and at most 6 months before arrival. They must in the past 10 days have not been in Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini (Swaziland), India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nepal, South Africa, Zambia or Zimbabwe;
- passengers with a COVID-19 vaccination certificate if they in the past 10 days have not been in Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini (Swaziland), India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Nepal, South Africa, Zambia or Zimbabwe. The certificate must state that they received the vaccine at least 14 days before departure and must be in in English, French, German, Italian or Spanish. Vaccines accepted are AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Janssen, Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech;
- passengers transiting through Germany to a non-Schengen Member State.
Based on my interpretation of the wording, I would be concerned about transit US-FRA-Greece. (However, typing it into the IATA checker and United's checker, it seems ok) I would not be as concerned about transit Greece-FRA-US. The interpretation of these rules by the check-in and gate agents is what matters though. I'm using this link for United: https://www.united.com/en/us/timatic...&POS=US&POS=US

Last edited by eng3; May 22, 2021 at 7:35 am
Old May 22, 2021, 1:38 pm

How strictly is the 72 hour PCR test rule adhered to? I had a flight booked which was due to arrive in Greece at 12.30pm local time (10.30am UK time) on Friday 4th June and had my PCR test booked for 1.10pm (UK time) on 1st June so the test would be c70 hours before arrival. However, I’ve had to change my flight so my arrival in Greece is now 3.30pm local (1.30pm UK) so I’m literally out by only 20 minutes (assuming flight is on time). I’ve been advised I will be denied boarding by my airline (BA) on this basis - has anybody got any experience of this? I live in a very rural area in the UK and struggling to find an alternative provider if I have to try and move my PCR test (my 1.10pm test was the last test of the day so would have to wait until 2nd June if I move it & I’m worried the results will then come through too late). Help!

Last edited by sydneyflyer1; May 22, 2021 at 1:40 pm Reason: Further clarification
Old May 22, 2021, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by eng3
So I'm reviewing the wording for Germany entry rules

US-FRA-GREECE

Greece-FRA-US

Based on my interpretation of the wording, I would be concerned about transit US-FRA-Greece. (However, typing it into the IATA checker and United's checker, it seems ok) I would not be as concerned about transit Greece-FRA-US. The interpretation of these rules by the check-in and gate agents is what matters though. I'm using this link for United: https://www.united.com/en/us/timatic...&POS=US&POS=US

Holy Moses--I'm going to need a flowchart to go through those rules. This is more complicated than some C++ code I've seen.
Old May 22, 2021, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyflyer1
How strictly is the 72 hour PCR test rule adhered to? I had a flight booked which was due to arrive in Greece at 12.30pm local time (10.30am UK time) on Friday 4th June and had my PCR test booked for 1.10pm (UK time) on 1st June so the test would be c70 hours before arrival. However, I’ve had to change my flight so my arrival in Greece is now 3.30pm local (1.30pm UK) so I’m literally out by only 20 minutes (assuming flight is on time). I’ve been advised I will be denied boarding by my airline (BA) on this basis - has anybody got any experience of this? I live in a very rural area in the UK and struggling to find an alternative provider if I have to try and move my PCR test (my 1.10pm test was the last test of the day so would have to wait until 2nd June if I move it & I’m worried the results will then come through too late). Help!
I've done two other trips this year to other intl locations. Generally, they haven't checked at all at the destination, the airline checks at the origin/connection. Mostly, they don't look that carefully at it. Oftentimes, they mistakenly use the time the results are received vs the sample time. One airline checked at the transit desk, gate, then TWICE while walking down the jetway to the plane, then upon arrival, someone came on board and checked all of them and every time they read the results receipt time out loud vs the sample time. I had another airline check once at check-in for 2 seconds, then not at the gate, connection, or upon arrival. Sometimes, I think they just look at the date vs trying to do the timezone math. HOWEVER, I would NEVER risk it. It only takes one check-in or gate agent to ruin your entire trip. There is already the risk of the airline agent simply misinterpreting the rules, I'd reduce risk wherever I can.

Originally Posted by DH77024
Holy Moses--I'm going to need a flowchart to go through those rules. This is more complicated than some C++ code I've seen.
Amazing how so many words can be used yet there is still ambiguity. And that is just COVID rules. At least C++ code is clear.
Old May 23, 2021, 12:13 am

Here's an update after the trip home:
1. We transited through Munich from Athens (ATH-MUC-LAX) without any problems. We had both a rapid antigen test and our vaccination cards.
2. We did the rapid antigen test at the Athens airport the day before our flight home. It took about 30 minutes start to finish, but the airport was pretty dead when we did the test.
3. Everything in Athens was open. In Santorini about half the restaurants, shops, etc. were open but it looked like there was lots of painting and preparation going on to open the rest. Our tour guide said people hadn't expected the tourists to come back so fast.

For what it's worth, I asked two different officers (? not sure of the title) in Munich about Americans transiting in the opposite direction, from the US through Germany to Greece. The first, who checked our documents upon de-planing, said it was fine but added "if you satisfy transit conditions." The second, who was the officer at passport control, said it was fine "with a covid test." I asked if it would be fine with the vaccination card and she looked a bit confused (I had to hold it up to show what I was talking about) but said yes. I'm not sure how many of the cards they've seen at this point.
seanp7, eng3, 84fiero and 1 others like this.
Old May 23, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by boscobjgd

For what it's worth, I asked two different officers (? not sure of the title) in Munich about Americans transiting in the opposite direction, from the US through Germany to Greece. The first, who checked our documents upon de-planing, said it was fine but added "if you satisfy transit conditions." The second, who was the officer at passport control, said it was fine "with a covid test." I asked if it would be fine with the vaccination card and she looked a bit confused (I had to hold it up to show what I was talking about) but said yes. I'm not sure how many of the cards they've seen at this point.
And this is a big problem. If the German security folks who are tasked with ensuring compliance with the rules don't really know the answer, how can we expect airline check-in agents in the US to understand the rules, particularly where we have a situation of many countries with many different transit rules, some of which are probably as complicated if not more so than the German rules. For countries like Greece where a negative test is not required if one is fully vaccinated, I wonder if we would be denied boarding in the US if we carried the vaccination cards but did not have a negative test? I guess we'll have to print out all the relevant government rules to be ready to argue at the airport.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 23, 2021, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We plan to print Greece and Germany's rules and our full itinerary. We have left plenty of time in both DFW and FRA to argue with people. We shall see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.