Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Blue
Originally Posted by miuk
I'm flying this Friday (3rd) to JTR via LHR. Since i'll be doing an antigen test to cover the LHR transit, i might just pony up the extra $ for a PCR to cover any change Greece might impose. Any idea if they announce on 9/3 when the effective date would be?
Usually announcements like these take effect from the next Monday. Furthermore, the current Greek Civil Aviation Covid NOTAMs for International and domestic flights expire on the morning of Monday the 6th, so it's pretty safe to say nothing will change until then.
SK, 36902BRF and miuk like this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Anything exciting in the Thessaloniki area? Thought it might be good to not spend the whole trip in the city. Could roam along the coast looking for hidden beaches.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 9:26 am

The NOTAM date fits with the now several different data points I have seen of the Greek Embassy in the US telling folks that there would be an update on 9/3. I leave on 9/4 so I have gone ahead and just scheduled a test just in case (since the Italians implemented their change with little notice) but a 9/3 change effective on 9/6 would make sense. Though could complicate matters for US folks departing on 9/6 since it is a holiday here.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Blue
The NOTAM has been extended until the 10th of September, pretty much identical to before (adding Taiwanese residents to the allowed list). Which means vaccinated individuals from the US can travel like before to Greece.
Earthman and 36902BRF like this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 3:40 pm

Landed in Santorini airport today (9/4) via a transit at LHR (BA652).
NO hassles going through immigration just passport and flashing the plf form to the officer. Didn't see anyone get selected for the random covid test either.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 9:48 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
I’m in kalambaka after staying overnight and I’ve been up since 4am because there are three roosters going bonkers announcing that it’s the morning. Lol!!!
Old Sep 4, 2021, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by kac2138
I’m in kalambaka after staying overnight and I’ve been up since 4am because there are three roosters going bonkers announcing that it’s the morning. Lol!!!
And if you survive the roosters the birds will get you at 6am...
Old Sep 5, 2021, 12:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by jj_lgkr
The NOTAM has been extended until the 10th of September, pretty much identical to before (adding Taiwanese residents to the allowed list). Which means vaccinated individuals from the US can travel like before to Greece.
As I understand it, what the EU has issued is not binding, and is more like a recommendation or advisory. Each member country can decide what they want to do. It appears that Greece will continue to welcome American tourists as well as the USD that they bring
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 1:45 am

Programs: Delta Gold
We are in CDG waiting for our flight back to the US after spending about 10 days in Greece and I thought I would share our Greece experience re: COVID. We started in Santorini, went to Milos, and ended in Athens. As many people mentioned here, if you are vaccinated and be careful to take precautions you should be generally ok. Santorini was probably the most congested place we went but we were careful to avoid crowds when we could. Milos was a breeze. Not many people on the island to begin with and its also not as touristy. We had a fantastic time there and also felt the safest. Overall, the hotels and restaurants did well with COVID measures. The only place we were very nervous was on our ferry ride from Santorini to Milos. The CG officer barely looked at the required vaccination card or negative test result, I know for a fact that he didn't bother checking everyone. Our boat happened to be one of the smaller ones, so even though we booked the highest class ticket we could, we were crammed into a very small seating space with dozens of people-- many of whom were not so compliant with their masks. Add to that the fact that they did not have the air conditioning on so there was absolutely no air circulating. We waited about 72 hours after that ride to do a piece of mind rapid test (both of us were negative). Overall we had a good experience, but we did not participate in any group tours and ate all of our meals outdoors (easy to do in Greece).
Earthman, allset2travel and nk15 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
channonc,
Thanks for reporting back.
Before your inbound (via CDG) to US, did you take the test in ATH airport or city. Please share that experience. Thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Could someone help with a clarification. Completed the Greek PLF and was instantly sent a copy with QR code etc following submission. Do you still wait for another to arrive prior to departure or is this one good enough?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Could someone help with a clarification. Completed the Greek PLF and was instantly sent a copy with QR code etc following submission. Do you still wait for another to arrive prior to departure or is this one good enough?
This is the only one that you will receive and the one that you will use to enter Greece with.
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by nk15
Anyone interested in one way AA direct flights in J back from ATH to PHL/JFK/ORD for $1400 there is some availability on certain dates in Aug and Sept but only on BA code.

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...RBSRIGCAEQABgA
These above are still available, and there are also some cheap roundtrips to ATH in Y for October:

American: Atlanta / Detroit / Minneapolis – Athens, Greece. $460 (Basic Economy) / $610 (Regular Economy). Roundtrip, including all Taxes – Fare Deal Alert
Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:12 am

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel
channonc,
Thanks for reporting back.
Before your inbound (via CDG) to US, did you take the test in ATH airport or city. Please share that experience. Thanks.
We actually used the BinaxNow tests that we brought with us. So unfortunately, I don’t have experience with the testing on the ground.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by channonc
We actually used the BinaxNow tests that we brought with us. So unfortunately, I don’t have experience with the testing on the ground.
Thank you, appreciate the feedback.
channonc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.