Reload this Page >

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2021, 12:53 pm

The vaccination certificate must be in English, issued by a public authority, and demonstrate that vaccination was completed at least 14 days before arrival to Greece.
So, my CDC card is an accepted vaccination certificate? Happy to hear that, but also - it's beyond trivial to forge.
Old May 12, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by kac2138
What are the rules on domestic travel for non-residents/non-citizens? I was thinking of flying from Athens to Santorini (and back) and was wondering if I'd need to do something to complete that leg of the trip. But I guess the entry standards should be the same for both.

An important point to note if you’re travelling to Greece to multiple places: a PCR test > 72 hours, or antigen > 24 hour, will be required from tomorrow if you are taking the ferry or the plane within Greece.

So if you intent to stay a couple of days in Athens before heading to an island for instance, you’ll need to make an appointment for another test within the above timeframe.

Make sure to also figure out testing locations on the islands you intend to visit.

This doesn’t apply to vaccinated (>14 days) visitors.

Finding reliable sources in English is not easy, though I assume the Travel website from the government will be updated shortly. In the meantime, this would have to do.
greenteamuimui likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 7:39 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by offvoice

An important point to note if you’re travelling to Greece to multiple places: a PCR test > 72 hours, or antigen > 24 hour, will be required from tomorrow if you are taking the ferry or the plane within Greece.

So if you intent to stay a couple of days in Athens before heading to an island for instance, you’ll need to make an appointment for another test within the above timeframe.

Make sure to also figure out testing locations on the islands you intend to visit.

This doesn’t apply to vaccinated (>14 days) visitors.

Finding reliable sources in English is not easy, though I assume the Travel website from the government will be updated shortly. In the meantime, this would have to do.
Thanks for this. I'm vaccinated so I think that means I do not need the tests. Really confusing.
Old May 13, 2021, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kac2138
Thanks for this. I'm vaccinated so I think that means I do not need the tests. Really confusing.
I'm vaccinated, too. Arriving in Athens on June 5. One night layover in Greece (arriving late at night) and continuing on to Mykonos early the next morning. Glad I don't need Covid testing as I don't have the time due to the timing of arrival and departure in and out of Athens.
Old May 13, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Following up on this, my husband, daughter (age 10), and I will be arriving on July 5th. Plan to spend a few days in Athens then on two separate islands.

He and I will be vaccinated, she will not. Does she need a covid test every time we move from one location to another? Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide.
Old May 13, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tr3k
So, my CDC card is an accepted vaccination certificate? Happy to hear that, but also - it's beyond trivial to forge.
Following up here - I entered Greece today with only the CDC card (no PCR test), so it does work.
justforfun, DH77024, Amil and 4 others like this.
Old May 13, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture
Following up here - I entered Greece today with only the CDC card (no PCR test), so it does work.
sweet what was your last departure city?
Old May 14, 2021, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Thanks for the input. Please let us know how it is in Greece as a tourist right now. Would love to know how traveling to the islands is like, dining, shopping, sightseeing, etc.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Amil
sweet what was your last departure city?
I flew JFK-DXB-ATH on EK

Originally Posted by BlindPilot
Thanks for the input. Please let us know how it is in Greece as a tourist right now. Would love to know how traveling to the islands is like, dining, shopping, sightseeing, etc.
Arriving in Athens yesterday 5/13, my hotel explained that I needed to an attestation form and my passport to go outside, but that rule expired today, along with many others (see links below). I've been mostly stuck working in the hotel, but was out this morning taking care of some errands and the city seemed pretty lively and full of traffic in the streets and passengers on the Metro. Cafes were open with outdoor seating all over the place. Can't vouch for dining/shopping/sightseeing just yet, but glad to follow up after the weekend once i can actually get outside.

As for the islands, a key thing to note is that the ferries and flights to most of them will require PCR, Antigen, or proof of full vaccination. My island hopping plans over the next few weeks are a bit more complicated now as my traveling companion (an EU citizen) has only one shot and will now need tests each time we move islands. There is mention in one of the links below that self-tests are acceptable, but the self-test upload website was only in Greek as of this morning, so that's a fun complication for tourists

I'll be here for ~3 weeks (with a trip to Cyprus likely mixed in), glad to investigate or ask around with locals for any specific questions you guys may have.

https://greekreporter.com/2021/05/12...own-behind-us/
https://news.gtp.gr/2021/05/12/greec...negative-test/
allset2travel, Amil and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by thewayofthefuture; May 14, 2021 at 2:15 pm
Old May 14, 2021, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K Marriott Platinum
Leaving May 20th...to HER, will report back.
Old May 15, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: UA MP
Thanks for the update.
The Greek travel.gov.gr site has the following requirement:
"All certificates must include the critical information (i.e. number of doses and their respective dates) in English, German French, Italian, Spanish, Russian and the person’s full name must match the name on the passport or any other recognized travel document."

So my daughter-in-law is traveling to Greece next month, but her CDC card does not include her middle name (i.e., CDC card has first name, last name, but no middle name). Her passport is first name, middle name, last name.

Did you have the same issue? And if so, did they give you a hard time? It comes down to what they mean by "full name"--i.e., is first name, last name sufficient?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by DH77024
Thanks for the update.
The Greek travel.gov.gr site has the following requirement:
"All certificates must include the critical information (i.e. number of doses and their respective dates) in English, German French, Italian, Spanish, Russian and the person’s full name must match the name on the passport or any other recognized travel document."

So my daughter-in-law is traveling to Greece next month, but her CDC card does not include her middle name (i.e., CDC card has first name, last name, but no middle name). Her passport is first name, middle name, last name.

Did you have the same issue? And if so, did they give you a hard time? It comes down to what they mean by "full name"--i.e., is first name, last name sufficient?
my passport shows First, Middle, Last. My CDC card only has First, Middile Initial, Last (+birthday). Wasn’t an issue at all. I imagine as long as First/Last/Birthday match then it’ll be fine
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: UA MP
my passport shows First, Middle, Last. My CDC card only has First, Middile Initial, Last (+birthday). Wasn’t an issue at all. I imagine as long as First/Last/Birthday match then it’ll be fine
Thanks, we were worried they'll be as strict as the TSA and send her right back when she arrives in Athens because of a missing middle name.

How was the line going through passport/customs? Did the COVID certificate check add any significant delays?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Good to know, thanks.
Look forward to more updates from you!
Old May 15, 2021, 9:16 pm

I'd like to add my experience. My husband and I are US citizens, fully vaccinated and arrived yesterday:
1. We transited through Amsterdam to Greece from the US (LAX-AMS-ATH) without any problem;
2. On arrival in Athens, there were separate lines for people with vaccination cards and those who only had the PCR test. The vaccinated line was significantly shorter (think five people v. a hundred) and wasn't subject to secondary health screening;
3. The person at the head of the line glanced at our cards (presumably saw they were CDC cards) and waved us through. He didn't check it against our passports.
justforfun, bnj999 and becks1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.