Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greece - Travel Since Reopening

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2021, 8:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
I am wondering about the mask situation in Europe in general? Like in Spain and other countries. Are people still wearing masks in public? Here in the U.S, in most states I hardly see anyone wearing masks anymore since last month.
Here is the Seattle PNW....I see far fewer people NOT wearing masks than those that are. On my small island it is probably 90% wearing masks.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:30 am

For folks that have recently gone to Greece, has there been random testing on arrival?

I was reading a horror story for someone who tested positive on a random check.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Lancem504
For folks that have recently gone to Greece, had there been random testing on arrival?

I was reading a horror story for someone who tested positive on a random check.
I haven't been to Greece recently, although, random testing would depend on a digit based on the Passenger Locator Form confirmation number.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
What's the mask situation in GR right now? Do you have to wear one outdoors? What is compliance with it etc.
It is required, compliance varies by location and time of day (higher in the day, lower at night), not available at coronaparties, and you are exempt, as always...
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by nk15
It is required, compliance varies by location and time of day (higher in the day, lower at night), not available at coronaparties, and you are exempt, as always...
Agreed that it depends on location. I live in Athens where it's worn (with variable success) by almost everyone.

On the other hand, I went to Santorini a couple of days ago and we were the only tourists there to wear it, apart from the locals (that are all vaccinated). I think vaccinated tourists just don't wear it and are all too happy to be on holidays (a bit disrespectful if you ask me, but no one did, so I'll keep quiet )
LETTERBOY and nk15 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:01 am

Flew Denver to Heraklion in Lufthansa Business through MUC. Denver they checked vax and asked only if we had done the Greece PLF because at that point mine still hadn't been received. I got it at 1207 am (greek time) In Munich we had 4 hours, immigration line was quite long as they were verifying everyone's neg test or vax record, return flight info etc. (We didnt have return flight yet) Took about 30-45 minutes to get through the rather large line, if we had been economy, likely much longer. Passports stamped, went to business lounge which was a total joke on their offerings. Left and drank a couple beers in a normal airport restaurant. On arrival into Crete, just had to flash our PLF on my phone, not even sure they cared too much as long as you flashed them something and we were off to our hotel. All in all it was a really easy process, and now relaxing in Chania!
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by steamboater
Flew Denver to Heraklion in Lufthansa Business through MUC. Denver they checked vax and asked only if we had done the Greece PLF because at that point mine still hadn't been received. I got it at 1207 am (greek time) In Munich we had 4 hours, immigration line was quite long as they were verifying everyone's neg test or vax record, return flight info etc. (We didnt have return flight yet) Took about 30-45 minutes to get through the rather large line, if we had been economy, likely much longer. Passports stamped, went to business lounge which was a total joke on their offerings. Left and drank a couple beers in a normal airport restaurant. On arrival into Crete, just had to flash our PLF on my phone, not even sure they cared too much as long as you flashed them something and we were off to our hotel. All in all it was a really easy process, and now relaxing in Chania!
It sounds like checking the PLF for random testing has relaxed. Enjoy your trip!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by steamboater
sounds great!

we will be in Chania in 2 weeks.... never been before

If there is anything you find awesome (eat/drink/see /// whatever) let me know!
Old Jun 14, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by offvoice
Agreed that it depends on location. I live in Athens where it's worn (with variable success) by almost everyone.

On the other hand, I went to Santorini a couple of days ago and we were the only tourists there to wear it, apart from the locals (that are all vaccinated). I think vaccinated tourists just don't wear it and are all too happy to be on holidays (a bit disrespectful if you ask me, but no one did, so I'll keep quiet )
Very much location dependent indeed.

Two recent samples:
- On Milos, nobody was wearing a mask outdoors. The only few who did were a handful of tourists.
- On Kefalonia, there was about 70% mask enforcement outdoors in the island capital of Argostoli, but again almost nobody - both tourists and locals alike - bothered anywhere else on the island.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by nk15
Ok so that's outdoors no, indoors yes = )
Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
sounds great!

we will be in Chania in 2 weeks.... never been before

If there is anything you find awesome (eat/drink/see /// whatever) let me know!
Awsome? Yes, the Samaria gorge! Plan a full day for it (getting to/from, walking through it, resting afterwards), but really a unique experience.
dergon darkhelm likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:31 am

Flew SEA-AMS-ATH this week with ease.

Asked upon arrival in jet ridge about our travel documents and waived through right away when we indicated that we are transiting and have vaccination cards.

Official at the Schengen border seemed a bit confused that we didn’t have invitation letter to Greece, but stamped is through with little fuss.

Seems rather quiet this year and Greeks seem happy to welcome tourists (and our euros/dollars).

Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:52 am

A friend who just flew to Athens told me they were asking for a doctors note along with the vaccination card (US citizens). No where on the travel.gr site does it say you need a doctor's note, and none of them had one and they were let in eventually anyway, but it gave them a good scare. Did anyone else experience this?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pstm91
A friend who just flew to Athens told me they were asking for a doctors note along with the vaccination card (US citizens). No where on the travel.gr site does it say you need a doctor's note, and none of them had one and they were let in eventually anyway, but it gave them a good scare. Did anyone else experience this?
A doctors note? Saying what? I wonder if he misunderstood what they were asking for.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 9:41 am

No it was apparently very clear. They asked if they had a doctor's note to verify their vaccine cards. A miscommunication was my initial impression to, but she assured me the customs agent (or whoever it is that checks the vaccine cards) spoke great English and they asked for a doctor's note along with their vaccine cards. They did not have it and the guy let them through, so I wonder if it was just an error on his part?
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.