Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Balkans - Car Rental

Balkans - Car Rental

Old Apr 26, 21, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Balkans - Car Rental

I am finding it difficult to obtain solid information. I am even part of a well visited Balkans travel group on FB and still get conflicting answers.I'll be arriving in Montenegro and ending my trip in Serbia over a two week period, driving. In between, I'll potentially have Bosnia, Kosovo, Macedonia, and Albania.

I was considering car rental via Discovery as it had good reviews and great prices. Then I noticed that there 'may' be additional fees for crossing borders. Then I tried Sixt, and have the same situation. Can anyone provide advice for car rental? I am looking for an 'all-in' price.

Thank you!
Old Apr 26, 21, 1:32 pm

You're going to have to purchase a vignette for the car for visiting different countries, so every company will have "fees" for this. It usually isn't too expensive. I have not visited multiple countries with one rental though, so I'm not sure if you need multiple vignettes or how that works... You may have to discuss it with them when you pick up the car and they'll charge you for the vignette then.
lamphs likes this.
Old Apr 26, 21, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pstm91 View Post
You're going to have to purchase a vignette for the car for visiting different countries, so every company will have "fees" for this. It usually isn't too expensive. I have not visited multiple countries with one rental though, so I'm not sure if you need multiple vignettes or how that works... You may have to discuss it with them when you pick up the car and they'll charge you for the vignette then.
Thanks. I'll post the outcome.
Old Apr 27, 21, 4:56 am

Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
I would call up the local agency in Podgorica or wherever you are renting from and ask them.
I had a good experience with SIXT in Montenegro but did not cross any borders. They do require you to purchase a cross-border card (insurance) if you are crossing borders (regardless of pickup/return) - IIRC it's on the order of 50 € per country.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: