Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FRA or EWR?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2020, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

FRA or EWR?

My apologies if I am posting this in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it!

I have a choice of 2 different return flights from Italy.

Which is better, re: getting thru immigration, customs etc

VCE to FRA to PHX FRA/PHX - OS
VCE to EWR to PHX EWR/PHX UA

Thank you
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:26 pm

I've often used both PHX and EWR for entry in the USA in the not so distant past, with an ESTA from a EU member state: In both airports I've experienced extremely short waits (<10 minutes) and very long ones (>2 hours) at immigration and hardly any at customs. Very difficult to predict what it will be, it fully depends on how many international planes arrive at about the same time, as well as unpredictable delays such as their net access being down (only once at EWR).
service1010 likes this.

Last edited by KLouis; Oct 23, 2020 at 7:49 pm
Old Oct 23, 2020, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
This needs to be on one of the US boards not Europe. I've allerted a mod to move it and also correct the thread title as FRA is irrelevent as you can't clear US immigration there.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
This needs to be on one of the US boards not Europe. I've allerted a mod to move it and also correct the thread title as FRA is irrelevent as you can't clear US immigration there.
Indeed, the title is misleading.

I can't speak about PHX but EWR could be a hit or miss.
I had occasions where I needed to wait a lot of time for immigration, on some occasions, I was out landside within 5-10 minutes after I left the aircraft.

By the way, UA might not resume their VCE-EWR service nor LH might resume their FRA-PHX service next summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.