Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Turkey: Car rental vs. taxis

Turkey: Car rental vs. taxis

Old Oct 2, 20, 7:47 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 197
Turkey: Car rental vs. taxis

Hello all,

My wife and I are traveling to Turkey and will be visiting Pamukkale and Cappadocia at the end of October (flying into DNZ and ASR airports repectively). We are thinking of renting a car in both locations but am wondering if taxis would be more advisable. I'm comfortable driving internationally, and currently have a U.S. drivers license, but no international license/permit currently. Do you think taxis are more advisable? I'm not so much concerned getting to/from the airport via taxi but once in Pamukkale/Cappadocia I'm not sure how easy it is to get around if you do not have a vehicle to yourself. Additionally, we haven't finalized our hotel plans yet and may look to AirBnb which would mean that we wouldn't have a hotel staff to assist us or help arrange transportation. Any advise provided is much appreciated.

Best,
Voldoo
Voldoo is offline  
Old Oct 4, 20, 7:33 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 13
I can’t speak to Pamukkale, but drove in Cappadocia several years ago. Traffic was light and it was very easy to get around. I wasn’t on the look out for taxis, so I cannot comment on whether they are plentiful. While the sights were that far apart (maybe 15 to 20 minutes, they seemed remote with opportunities to stop for views and hikes off the beaten path. I would think a car would be more convenient, if you are comfortable with it.
farci and Voldoo like this.
Wboy411a is offline  
Old Oct 5, 20, 4:29 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 197
Originally Posted by Wboy411a View Post
I canít speak to Pamukkale, but drove in Cappadocia several years ago. Traffic was light and it was very easy to get around. I wasnít on the look out for taxis, so I cannot comment on whether they are plentiful. While the sights were that far apart (maybe 15 to 20 minutes, they seemed remote with opportunities to stop for views and hikes off the beaten path. I would think a car would be more convenient, if you are comfortable with it.
Thank you Wboy411a, that information is helpful.
Voldoo is offline  
Old Oct 5, 20, 5:55 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Gold, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 8,375
As a Turkish, in Denizli ( Pamukkale ) and Nevşehir ( Cappadoccia ), it would be better for you to have a car as it would offer more flexibility. Most hotels over there would have parking or free street parking and it would be definitely be cheaper than getting a taxi every single time.

By the way, with a car, you would be able to see more sights in the vicinity, such as driving down to the Ihlara Valley from Cappadoccia and driving to the Aphrodisias Antic City from Denizli, etc...
Voldoo likes this.
ISTFlyer is online now  
Old Oct 10, 20, 5:38 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Wboy411a View Post
I canít speak to Pamukkale, but drove in Cappadocia several years ago. Traffic was light and it was very easy to get around. I wasnít on the look out for taxis, so I cannot comment on whether they are plentiful. While the sights were that far apart (maybe 15 to 20 minutes, they seemed remote with opportunities to stop for views and hikes off the beaten path. I would think a car would be more convenient, if you are comfortable with it.
Do you know if Turkey requires an International Drivers Permit in addition to a US license?
pstm91 is online now  
Old Oct 11, 20, 10:38 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by pstm91 View Post
Do you know if Turkey requires an International Drivers Permit in addition to a US license?
I was able to rent a car with just my US drivers license. No questions asked.
pstm91 likes this.
Wboy411a is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: