Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Traveling to EU from the US with a UK passport

Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

I'm a dual UK and US passport holder, living in the US, and trying to get to either Germany or Italy in September. Official government websites for Germany and Italy seem inconsistent as to whether they're enforcing entry rules based on citizenship or where you've been the last 14 days. I have no issue quarantining and think it's the right thing to do, but I don't want to risk being denied entry and sent back. I'll be traveling with a dog and really don't want to subject her to that level of stress.

Does anyone know if I'm likely to be denied entry at the German or Italian border coming from the US if I have a UK passport? Or would the airline deny me boarding? Planning to fly Lufthansa if that makes a difference.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
FT has a COVID-19 and Travel forum, listed close to the top of the forum jump list. You might want to search/read some of the threads there for information that applies to your situation, including material about bringing a pet to Europe.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
FT has a COVID-19 and Travel forum, listed close to the top of the forum jump list. You might want to search/read some of the threads there for information that applies to your situation, including material about bringing a pet to Europe.
Thanks for the heads up. I probably should have posted there. Is there a way to move this over there?
Old Jul 30, 2020, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can click on the red triangle to the bottom left of your post (under your username) and request that a moderator move your post, but I've already suggested this to the moderators. This forum might not have moderators who actively check in frequently (from their local time zone), so an alternative if you must make decisions soon would be to try contacting one or more of the senior FT moderators by PM (private message) or even also reaching out to the Coronavirus and Travel forum moderators by PM to ask them to please facilitate moving your post.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for doing that already. It's not urgent so no worries if they move it tomorrow.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 1:00 am

As I speak only German, my understanding from the information on the website of Bundespolizei is that you will be allowed entry if you can demonstrate that: i) if you intend to stay in Germany, you have held German residence status for no less than 6 months; ii) you intend to transfer to UK; iii) if you intend to transfer to another EU/EEA Member State, you hold the required documentation to complete your journey. Make sure you research carefully any applicable negative test and/or quarantine requirements.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.