Considering a drive: Bern -> Algarve, 1. August 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2020, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway

I am considering to drive from Bermn, Swoitzerland to Algarve in Southern Portugal.
I would drive via Montpellier and Spain, overnight at AC Hotels.

Is this a safe idea? I will be staying with friends in Portugal. The house has its own pool so there would be limiited time out in public,

I figure 4 nights each way on the drive in hotels.

Is this a risky idea?

Thanks
G

Last edited by Gigantor; Jul 9, 2020 at 6:55 am
Old Jul 9, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Gigantor
I am considering to drive from Bermn, Swoitzerland to Algarve in Southern Portugal.
I would drive via Montpellier and Spain, overnight at AC Hotels.

Is this a safe idea? I will be staying with friends in Portugal. The house has its own pool so there would be limiited time out in public,

I figure 4 nioghts each way on the drive in hotels.

Is this a risky idea?

Thanks
G
Can't see an issue. The only thing I would be worried about is Spain seems very trigger happy with lockdowns!
DaveS likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Has the Spanish border with Portugal re-opened?
Old Jul 9, 2020, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Has the Spanish border with Portugal re-opened?
I understand that it is planned to reopen at the beginning of August 2020.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
That many km on the road is inherently more risky than flying or taking a train. Statistically speaking.
DaveS and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, it is a risky idea. You will be exposing yourself at many occasions, and you are banking on several borders being open and with unimpeded travel.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The Algarve itself is pretty COVID-free for the time being (map). However, unless you want to do the drive for the sake of doing the drive, I'd consider flying, given all the uncertainty with borders.
Also, you may want to look at the costs - Easyjet is flying 5x/wk BSL-FAO.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:37 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Safe as in you are worried about a car accident?
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
I love a good road trip, and this one sounds like it could be a really great one

That trip is "only" around 2200km, which can easily be done in two segments, or three if you want to take it really slow. I wouldn't worry about taking such a trip at all, in fact I'd be looking forward to it. Even with the vastly reduced number of airline passengers, you're likely to encounter far fewer people if you drive - if contracting Corona is what you're afraid of.

Hotels are eager for business, and there are some great deals to be had throughout the spectrum of hotel classes. With that in mind I wouldn't tie myself into a particular chain, but rather look for the best possible hotel that fits the budget.

For a two-stop option I'd probably drive Bern - Montpellier, Montpellier - Sagunto and Sagunto - Albufeira (if that's your destination). But I would make the decision on where to stop based on availability of hotels, preferably small family-run luxurious non-chain hotels or B&B's. One of the best places I've ever stayed was at a converted vineyard in Alba, run by a middle aged couple. Rooms were great, but not luxurious, the location was in an absolutely stunning scenery and the service was warm, personal and fun. For breakfast the owner of the property had even baked two cakes for the 4 of us, and the breakfast table was an orgy of fresh local products, fruits, cheese and eggs so fresh the hen was probably still wondering ... just happened

Going to cost a lot more than flying but, then again, why not make the trip there part of the vacation and taken in the sights along the way? That's the beauty of a road trip; making the journey to your destination part of the holiday rather than just something to get over with in the shortest period of time. Provided, of course, you have the time available - it's obviously not a viable solution if you only have 1 or 2 weeks to play with.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
Safe as in you are worried about a car accident?
No, Concerned about COVID-19.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
I love a good road trip, and this one sounds like it could be a really great one

That trip is "only" around 2200km, which can easily be done in two segments, or three if you want to take it really slow. I wouldn't worry about taking such a trip at all, in fact I'd be looking forward to it. Even with the vastly reduced number of airline passengers, you're likely to encounter far fewer people if you drive - if contracting Corona is what you're afraid of.

Hotels are eager for business, and there are some great deals to be had throughout the spectrum of hotel classes. With that in mind I wouldn't tie myself into a particular chain, but rather look for the best possible hotel that fits the budget.

For a two-stop option I'd probably drive Bern - Montpellier, Montpellier - Sagunto and Sagunto - Albufeira (if that's your destination). But I would make the decision on where to stop based on availability of hotels, preferably small family-run luxurious non-chain hotels or B&B's. One of the best places I've ever stayed was at a converted vineyard in Alba, run by a middle aged couple. Rooms were great, but not luxurious, the location was in an absolutely stunning scenery and the service was warm, personal and fun. For breakfast the owner of the property had even baked two cakes for the 4 of us, and the breakfast table was an orgy of fresh local products, fruits, cheese and eggs so fresh the hen was probably still wondering ... just happened

Going to cost a lot more than flying but, then again, why not make the trip there part of the vacation and taken in the sights along the way? That's the beauty of a road trip; making the journey to your destination part of the holiday rather than just something to get over with in the shortest period of time. Provided, of course, you have the time available - it's obviously not a viable solution if you only have 1 or 2 weeks to play with.
I am planning to stop in Montpellier as I have friends there. I was planning to do the trip in three days (each way) and stop near Sagunto/Valencia on the second leg.

Thank you very much for your helpful information.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:00 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by Gigantor
No, Concerned about COVID-19.
As long as you wear a mask and practice social distancing during your stops you should absolutely be fine. This is a very low-risk activity.

If you look at new coronavirus cases, most involve transmission via a single common point such as a meet processing plant or church. You're highly unlikely to get corona in a hotel or stopping for food, especially if you take the necessary safety precautions. If you do get corona, you are unlikely to need medical treatment.

You're smart to take precautions to protect yourselves and others. But statistically you probably have a greater chance of getting into a car accident than getting covid.
Gigantor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.