Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece - entry restrictions until 15 June 2020

Old May 22, 20, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G

Does anybody understand what the current entry restrictions for EU citizens are? On 15 June citizens from some EU countries (and other countries) will be allowed to fly to Athens without any test requirements. They may continue to fly to the islands or other mainland airports. But what about the time in between?
Aegean will start to fly from some cities to Athens at the end of May. Lufthansa already flies there.

The quarantine requirement seems to apply until 31 May, anyone entering the country needs to stay 14 days in quarantine. Yet the FAQ of AIA (ATH) say that transit passengers are exempt. Does that mean that travellers may fly to a greek island (via ATH) and quarantine on the island (instead of waiting 14 days in Athens before flying to the island)? Does the quarantine requirement end on 31 May, meaning that travellers (from white-list countries) may enter Greece needing a virus test only until 15 June?

I've been looking at embassy pages, airlines pages and so on, but it is hard to get answers.
Old May 22, 20, 12:48 pm

Duplicate...

Old May 22, 20, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G
No. The other thread discusses the situation from 15 June onwards.
Old May 22, 20, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Arrivals View Post
No. The other thread discusses the situation from 15 June onwards.
OK, I apologize, you are right, I didn't read carefully enough. Can't really help you with all your questions, I was under the impression that since the government said that international arrivals will be "freed" from the anti-corona measures on June the 15th, that the only logical conclusion would be that up to June the 14th there will still be mandatory covid-19 tests upon arrival and a 24h (or so) stay at a hotel until the results come in, at which point one can proceed to their destination and self-quarantine there (the way it is now...). Now if they decide to only end the 14-day precautionary quarantine rule for those first 14 June days.... no idea, but I'll tell you what I told a friend of mine, who was going to travel on June 7th: Is it better to travel before June 15th and be quarantined for 2 weeks or travel from the 15th and be quarantine-free? If tourists aren't supposed to be allowed to arrive before the 15th then they could just as well retain the quarantine rule until then.
I think that June 15th is generally a more wide-spread date in general, for example Germany has some hefty travel restrictions that already extend to June 14th, so it was to be expected that this will be the date to start with the big changes.
What I, like you, can't understand is that they announced that.... they would announce these plans about 1 week ago, they made the announcements about 55 hours ago and there is still no official document that one could use to start making some plans... just the "vague" announcements they made and some interpretations by journalists...
Arrivals likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 8:39 pm

Programs: None
So, basically flights to Athens will run even before 15th June? Maybe that's why Transavia has not cancelled flights from Amsterdam to Athens from 5th June onwards. Will direct international flights run to other islands (i.e. Amsterdam to Zakynthos) too before 15th June / 1st July (with tests and quarantine)? Not sure whether repatriation flights are still running directly from tourist islands.
Old May 23, 20, 3:03 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver
Originally Posted by krishansy View Post
So, basically flights to Athens will run even before 15th June? Maybe that's why Transavia has not cancelled flights from Amsterdam to Athens from 5th June onwards. Will direct international flights run to other islands (i.e. Amsterdam to Zakynthos) too before 15th June / 1st July (with tests and quarantine)? Not sure whether repatriation flights are still running directly from tourist islands.
No international flights are allowed to the islands before 1st July - only Athens can handle international flights before that date.

Transavia just speculated upon an early opening, knowing it can always cancel the flights again citing "COVID-19" as a reason (which is what they already did with many flights AMS->Greece what I read in the last 2 days). Expect a whole lot of more HV cancellations to Greece as long as Dutch visitors are not yet welcome.
Old May 23, 20, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer View Post
No international flights are allowed to the islands before 1st July - only Athens can handle international flights before that date.

Transavia just speculated upon an early opening, knowing it can always cancel the flights again citing "COVID-19" as a reason (which is what they already did with many flights AMS->Greece what I read in the last 2 days). Expect a whole lot of more HV cancellations to Greece as long as Dutch visitors are not yet welcome.
Yeah, maybe. Or this is how they source the refund amounts - by opening up and cancelling more bookings. Part of the new bookings will be settled in vouchers for which cash must already have gone into the company. This cash can be used for processing refunds.

I always expected that they cancelled at least 14 days in advance. I guess not!
Old May 23, 20, 7:59 am

Fellow FTers, there are no Government announcements yet!!! All one reads are leakages to the press by professional wiseasses as well as ideas of journalists passed around through their channels to us. Let's leave discussions when there are bona fide announcements in a few days.
Old May 23, 20, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Fellow FTers, there are no Government announcements yet!!! All one reads are leakages to the press by professional wiseasses as well as ideas of journalists passed around through their channels to us. Let's leave discussions when there are bona fide announcements in a few days.
Didn't the Greek Prime Minister announce that international flights to Athens will commence from 15th June and international flights to tourist islands will commence from 1st July?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...onavirus-tests
Old May 23, 20, 9:28 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver
Originally Posted by krishansy View Post
Didn't the Greek Prime Minister announce that international flights to Athens will commence from 15th June and international flights to tourist islands will commence from 1st July?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...onavirus-tests
He did, but details are not yet (officially) known as to which countries will be allowed to send tourists, and what restrictions/checks will be put in place exactly.
Old May 23, 20, 9:49 am

They are actually starting the international routes soon, to Croatia from July 1st so I believe that restrictions will not exist from that date.
Old May 23, 20, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer View Post
He did, but details are not yet (officially) known as to which countries will be allowed to send tourists, and what restrictions/checks will be put in place exactly.
I thought they released the names of 19 countries allowed to send tourists. Nevertheless, at least, the start dates are known - these dates may get extended further but I am guessing they won't be brought forward.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: