Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Conditions to enter Greece as of June 15

Old May 20, 20, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, LX *S, AF *S

I read the announcement about the tourist season opening as of June 15 in the English version of Kathimerini. However, not all is clear for me:

- if international flights are only possible to Athens until June 30, would you be able to continue from Athens to the tourist destinations? Or would there be some control?
- what are the list of "safe" countries that can come to Greece as of June 15? What about the others? Not allowed to come - or virus test plus quarantine, as today?
- for the "safe" countries: would they need to ensure that no-one from an "unsafe" country could just connect there and come to Greece as "safe"?
- would the random controls only apply to all flights coming in? If so, would this be based on certain parameters, e.g. temperature check? Or completely random? And if you are picked, would you do a test and then wait on the result, as today?

Not sure if there were more details in Greek speaking newspapers? Also, feel free to add any other unclear items.
Old May 20, 20, 3:03 pm

,,Flights will initially only land in Athens’ International Airport when services resume on June 15 but will eventually extend to all the airports as of July 1, he said."

How more clean you want it?
- if international flights are only possible to Athens until June 30, would you be able to continue from Athens to the tourist destinations?"
If you buy a ticket for flight :-)
Old May 20, 20, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Well - I am not THAT clueless... obviously, if you buy a ticket. But there was a time where you could buy a ferry ticket to an island, but were only allowed to board if you could prove you had your primary residency there. This is what I mean with restrictions.
Old May 21, 20, 8:52 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by Carpacchio View Post
I read the announcement about the tourist season opening as of June 15 in the English version of Kathimerini. However, not all is clear for me:

- if international flights are only possible to Athens until June 30, would you be able to continue from Athens to the tourist destinations? Or would there be some control?
You are ofc able to continue, however, before 1st July there will be additional controls on arrival which will only be lifted 1st July when the international tourist season will begin. At that point, there will be no tests, no health certificate needed or so - although they do have the right to carry out on-the-spot tests if they might have some suspicion.

- what are the list of "safe" countries that can come to Greece as of June 15? What about the others? Not allowed to come - or virus test plus quarantine, as today?.
Officially not yet known, but here is a preliminary (unverified) list.

https://greekcitytimes.com/2020/05/2...-from-june-15/

- for the "safe" countries: would they need to ensure that no-one from an "unsafe" country could just connect there and come to Greece as "safe"?
Good question, I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surprised if you get some additional grilling at the border if you are not a national from one of the safe countries.

I'm a foreign national living in Romania and plan to go on holiday in Greece this summer. For sure, I will take my residence permit and perhaps some other proof with me if they will ask questions if they solely look at my passport. Of course, if you have a connecting itinerary, Greek immigration will be able to see your full itinerary.

Assuming you are a Swiss resident living in GVA, there will for sure be some way or the other some check on arrival even if you would let's say first travel by train to Vienna, and catch an Austrian flight from there to Athens. They might ask you for proof how long you have been staying in Austria, for example. I wouldn't try to cheat the system as if they find out you do come from a non-approved country you might still end up in quarantine.

- would the random controls only apply to all flights coming in? If so, would this be based on certain parameters, e.g. temperature check? Or completely random? And if you are picked, would you do a test and then wait on the result, as today?
There will be the occasional checks. On basis of what, I don't know - what I gathered it would be done at random as well, and I assume they will also definitely pick out those with certain nationalities, coughing, or unusual itineraries from not-yet approved countries.
Old May 21, 20, 9:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
It looks like US and UK are out of the picture for some time to return to Greece.
Old May 21, 20, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by david55 View Post
It looks like US and UK are out of the picture for some time to return to Greece.
Probably not indeed. For the UK, the Greek Government has even been quite clear.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/travel/euro...brits-22061644
Greek tourism minister Haris Theoharis said that his country would open its doors to overseas holidaymakers from July 1 and that a list of countries whose citizens can go to Greece will be released this month.

But he said that the UK will probably not make the cut.

Mr Theoharis told ITV News that the UK's record on coronavirus is currently not good enough for Britons to be allowed to visit.

I think that the UK has a big difference in terms of the current medical status of the country with Greece, so I dont think its likely it will be there, he said.
With this in mind, I think it is even more unlikely that the US will be put on the list. It's mind-boggling to me that despite this, some major US blogs on miles/points lately started to highlight Greece as THE spot for Americans to go to. Highly irresponsible as chances are low that any of our friends from across the pond will be allowed in.

Talking to Greek friends of mine, this also seems to be the thoughts most people have. On the islands there is almost no health infrastructure as to speak of, which means that if there is a sudden rise of critically ill patients they all must be evacuated to the mainland. Nobody is willing to put the lives of their family and friends on the line for a few more tourist dollars if you can salvage most of the season by only opening to countries where COVID-19 is more under control than in the UK and USA. Greece wants tourists to come, but they certainly are not willing to open up for everyone under any circumstances.
Old May 21, 20, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How will they control this? Passport checks?
Old May 21, 20, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
I'm confused. Theoharis says tourists are welcome from July 1. Now there are tourists that can come from June 15. Klm, Air France, Lufthansa are starting flights well before June 15, yet their countries are not included in the 19. What am I missing?
Old May 21, 20, 4:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
I'm confused. Theoharis says tourists are welcome from July 1. Now there are tourists that can come from June 15. Klm, Air France, Lufthansa are starting flights well before June 15, yet their countries are not included in the 19. What am I missing?
Here is another article explaining the timetable. As to why some international flights are starting early...my guess is there are a lot of Greek Nationals anxious to get back and visit relatives or have work in Greece.....

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/20...-countries-20/
justforfun likes this.
Old May 21, 20, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
So looks like July 15, barring any covid-19 outbreaks, all tourists will be welcome. That's good news.
Old May 21, 20, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer View Post
...{snip}...With this in mind, I think it is even more unlikely that the US will be put on the list. It's mind-boggling to me that despite this, some major US blogs on miles/points lately started to highlight Greece as THE spot for Americans to go to...{snip}...
Do you really think that these US blogs really know what and where Greece is? I remember a story with one of my postdocs in the late 80s whose parents wanted to visit him in Heraklion. Their TA in the States booked them to Chania instead saying that Heraklion was the capital of the country Crete, and Chania was the name of Heraklion's airport. Lucky cab driver who brought them over around midnight!
Old May 22, 20, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david55 View Post
Here is another article explaining the timetable. As to why some international flights are starting early...my guess is there are a lot of Greek Nationals anxious to get back and visit relatives or have work in Greece.....

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/20...-countries-20/
Can somebody tell me how this makes sense ?

"Theoharis said that initially citizens from some 20 countries will be allowed depending on the epidemiological data in their countries." -> does this mean citizens or residents ? I mean, if I have a "unsafe" citizenship but live for 20 years in a "safe" country, why would I be penalized ?

“Foreign tourism will start on June 15, where the arrival of visitors from approximately 20 countries will be free,” -> what does "free" mean? Free to enter, while the others need to be tested? Or airlines need to take care not to put "unsafe" people on the flight?

"In his speech, the Minister mentioned from “the Balkans to the Baltic” and “northern Europe,” named “first of all Germany, then also Israel and Cyprus and Bulgaria.” -> yet Germany is not on the list that is circulating.

"June 15: Opening of Athens International Airport to flights from all countries with good epidemiological data." -> AIA is already open to flights from Germany, for instance. There was a video report in the Spiegel where they interviewed people arriving in Athens, and while there were quite some Greeks, there were also clearly German people amongst them (altough everyone still had to do the test). So as of June 15 (assuming Germany is not on the list), only "safe" people allowed?
Old May 22, 20, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Do you really think that these US blogs really know what and where Greece is? I remember a story with one of my postdocs in the late 80s whose parents wanted to visit him in Heraklion. Their TA in the States booked them to Chania instead saying that Heraklion was the capital of the country Crete, and Chania was the name of Heraklion's airport. Lucky cab driver who brought them over around midnight!
at least it's in the right direction! They might have as well ended up in Athens, Georgia!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens_Ben_Epps_Airport

But joking aside, I do perfectly understand why not to accept American visitors (or Brits) for the time being given the epidemic situation there. Even if they are welcome after a while I wouldn't mind too much, as Americans never really seem to venture to any other island besides Santorini and Mykonos, while Brits stick to Zakynthos and Rhodos.

In any case, if I finally pull the trigger to visit Greece again this summer (not sure as the Romanian government has not given up yet on the 14-day quarantine/home isolation rule if I turn back) I would only visit the more remote islands and stay well clear of the usual foreign tourist hotspots. Astypalaia and Kastellorizo are currently on my radar for this summer, with perhaps also a stop on Rhodos on my return as I would need to pass through the airport anyway to get back from KZS.
Old May 22, 20, 6:37 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
We are going on our annual vacation to Greece later in August. It should be fine then. On the direct flight from JFK-ATH on Delta.
Delta restarts direct service from JFK July 16. I'm guessing July 15 is when Greek borders will open up to Americans and other countries not on the original list.
Really, my big question as an American is will our government allow us to travel overseas then and will there be a mandatory quarantine in place when we arrive back in the US
The fact that China is one of the first 20 countries allowed to enter Greece is also shocking to me
Old May 22, 20, 6:42 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
American Airlines as of this morning starts their direct service from ORD to ATH on July 7
I'm predicting that will be pushed a week to July 15 or 16 depending on future announcements from Mr Theoharis as to which country's citizens can enter and when

Search this Thread
Search Engine: