Wiki Posts
Search

Conditions to enter Greece as of June 15

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2020, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by david55
Amen....I've been saying this for some time but there are a lot of Grecophiles who will go under an circumstances regardless of the experience that awaits them in a mid-covid pandemic.
I guess that's their choice and I wish them all the best with it. But I am convinced that many people are simply going to choose to go somewhere else. I feel for the people whose jobs rely on the tourist industry.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
If anyone travels from tomorrow, June 15th, to Athens from an airport which is not in the EASA affected area list, it would be great to share your experience. I am especially interested in the number of passengers who will be selected for a random check on each flight (2, 10, 20, 50 ?) and on what basis would passengers be selected. Thank you.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by KATERGOO
If anyone travels from tomorrow, June 15th, to Athens from an airport which is not in the EASA affected area list, it would be great to share your experience. I am especially interested in the number of passengers who will be selected for a random check on each flight (2, 10, 20, 50 ?) and on what basis would passengers be selected. Thank you.
When you do a random check you are selecting on a... random basis! Isn't it?
KATERGOO likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 9:32 am

Smile

Originally Posted by KLouis
When you do a random check you are selecting on a... random basis! Isn't it?
Yes and no. ie Customs checks are not done on a random basis. Custom officers might check people according to age, race, origin, clothing ... In the case of coronavirus, I am not sure what the criteria would be. Nationality could be a criteria, I guess.

Do you know if Athens airport will be organized to "welcome" flights from red countries and flights from green countries in different areas ?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
My flight will only be on 8th July, so still a wee bit of waiting before I can finally enjoy my yearly dose of Greece.

I read however today a bit more about the process. If you are selected for a test (this counts only for those arriving from "safe" airports not in the list of affected airports) you can await the result of the test at a location of your choice (hotel, holiday house, stay with friends - whatever you were originally planning). You are supposed to self-isolate until the test results are in, which should happen the next day the latest. I think it is however hard to believe that this can or will be strictly enforced.

If anyone hears more about the entire process I would be glad to hear more as well! Eg. are you more likely to be picked out if you are first in the queue getting off your flight? Or the last one? More likely if travelling alone and less likely if part of a huge family? Or indeed be really random like every 100th person in the queue or whatever?
KATERGOO likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by david55
Amen....I've been saying this for some time but there are a lot of Grecophiles who will go under an circumstances regardless of the experience that awaits them in a mid-covid pandemic.
It depends on what you are looking for in your Greek holiday. If such a thing as a breakfast buffet at a chain hotel is important, then yes, there might be differences. If it's hedonistic clubbing in Mykonos, yes there will be differences.

All I care about are the hospitable people, fabulous views and perhaps most importantly: the quintessential Greek taverna. Which will be exactly the same experience like it always was before, with the only difference perhaps a wee bit more distance between the tables. Maybe I'm wrong and you are right that the experience will be different, but I'm happy to give it a try and to support some of the island economies and their mom-and-pop cafes and restaurants.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:04 pm

You can await the result of the test at a location of your choice (hotel, holiday house, stay with friends - whatever you were originally planning)

Oh, that sounds good ! It would mean we could book our first night in Athens without being taken to another place ... where did you get that information from ?

Thank you !
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:30 pm

You can await the result of the test at a location of your choice (hotel, holiday house, stay with friends - whatever you were originally planning)

Oh, that sounds good ! It would mean we could book our first night in Athens without being taken to another place ... where did you get that information from ?

Thank you !
A press release - here is a version in English.

https://www.thenationalherald.com/gr...lights-444659/

I read a more extensive version somewhere else but cannot find it quickly. I will check for it again tomorrow when I have more time.
KATERGOO likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
A press release - here is a version in English.

https://www.thenationalherald.com/gr...lights-444659/

I read a more extensive version somewhere else but cannot find it quickly. I will check for it again tomorrow when I have more time.
Thanks !
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:54 pm

I just received this email from Aegean Airlines with more details:

To help you plan your next travel, here are some key points of the flight restrictions currently imposed by the Greek Government for arrivals to Greece effective June 15th and until June 30th 2020.

Arriving passengers are categorized in accordance with their origin in three distinct groups as follows:

GROUP A: Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland.

GROUP B: Albania, Belgium, France, Italy, North Macedonia, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, other non-EU countries.

- Passengers arriving at Athens International Airport originating from GROUP A will be subject to random Covid-19 testing upon their arrival.

- Passengers arriving at Athens International Airport originating from GROUP B, either with a direct flight or through a country included in Group A, will be subject to 100% Covid-19 testing upon their arrival.

- Passengers arriving at Thessaloniki Airport, will be subject to 100% Covid-19 testing upon their arrival.

All international passengers will be provided during check in or on board, with a Passenger Location Form, to be filled and provided to the authorities upon arrival.

Tested passengers have to compulsory self-isolate in the address they will declare for 24 hours, until the testing outcome is available.

Connecting Passengers are subject to COVID-19 testing upon their arrival in Athens or Thessaloniki and will be able to continue their trip to their final destination, where they will self-isolate until the testing outcome is available.

Furthermore, the Greek Goverment has extended flight restrictions from/to UK and Turkey until June 29th, 2020
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:02 am

Smile

Thanks Romanianflyer. Received the same just a few minutes ago. It looks like the 7 day quarantine for arriving passengers from group B countries is not compulsory anymore. The only difference between Group A and Group B would be that Group B passengers would all be tested. It would be good that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs updates the rules on its website. Then it would be 100% clear !
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:57 am

Arriving passengers are categorized in accordance with their origin in three distinct groups as follows:

GROUP A: Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland.

GROUP B: Albania, Belgium, France, Italy, North Macedonia, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, other non-EU countries.
I am confused as to what the 3 distinct groups are. I only see two.

It would be great if this meant Group B just has to wait for 24 hours. Assuming a negative test that would allow the rest of the vacation to proceed. Realistically if they test everyone from Group B there is not much risk, I just don't know where you put everyone.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by the188
I am confused as to what the 3 distinct groups are. I only see two.

It would be great if this meant Group B just has to wait for 24 hours. Assuming a negative test that would allow the rest of the vacation to proceed. Realistically if they test everyone from Group B there is not much risk, I just don't know where you put everyone.
The 3rd group is arrival at Thessaloniki airport, I think.
Quarantine would be in the place you choose.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:45 pm

[QUOTE=the188;32458377]I am confused as to what the 3 distinct groups are. I only see two.

The French Embassy writes :

Jusqu’au 30 juin : des tests au Covid-19 sont effectués systématiquement à l’arrivée des vols des destinations de la liste des aéroports situés dans les zones touchées et à haut risque de transmission de l’infection au CoViD-19 de l’Agence Européenne de la Sécurité Aérienne , dont, en France, tous les aéroports d’Île-de-France. Un autoconfinement de 24h, à l’endroit choisi par le voyageur, est demandé aux voyageurs, en attendant les résultats du test. En cas de test positif, une quarantaine de 14 jours est obligatoire dans un hôtel de quarantaine désigné par les autorités sanitaires. De fortes amendes sont appliquées en cas de non-respect de l’auto-confinement. Si le test est négatif, le voyageur est libre de continuer son séjour en Grèce sans restrictions.

So it's quite clear. You should auto confine for one day. Once you get the result, if it's negative, you are free !
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:58 pm

So it's quite clear. You should auto confine for one day. Once you get the result, if it's negative, you are free !
Translating from French it says (I think) self-quarantine at travelers choice for 24 hours until result. We were planning to take a ferry to Chania later in the evening on the day we arrive. Can my quarantine place be Chania then? How will they get the result to me? Email, Phone (I hope not as with a U.S. phone that will be more expensive than the airfare), call hotel you are staying at?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.