Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Conditions to enter Greece as of June 15

Conditions to enter Greece as of June 15

Old Jun 24, 20, 10:39 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by buckeye91 View Post
I actually read a lot into it.

EU says let us in and we will let you in. All of a sudden, the US government is talking.
But are they actually talking, and are those discussions serious & meaningful? And Pompeo says they've been talking, so if they really are talking, it's not "all of a sudden."
Old Jun 25, 20, 1:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I actually read a lot into it.

EU says let us in and we will let you in. All of a sudden, the US government is talking.
I listen more to what I hear and get in non-public written communications than what I would read into Pompeo being Pompeo in public.

Right now the EC and various EU member states are definitely not on that page of opening to the US in the manner you suggest; and they won’t be on the reciprocity page unless and until it is tied to and involves the US having comparable or better infection rates than is in the case in the EU or the virus stops being a driver of concern in relevant policy circles.
Old Jun 26, 20, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G, LX *S, AF *S
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer View Post
I just received this email from Aegean Airlines with more details:

- Passengers arriving at Athens International Airport originating from GROUP A will be subject to random Covid-19 testing upon their arrival.

- Passengers arriving at Athens International Airport originating from GROUP B, either with a direct flight or through a country included in Group A, will be subject to 100% Covid-19 testing upon their arrival.
So here is a datapoint: my wife flew from GVA to ATH last week, hence Group A. She said there was no-one who waited on the passengers for a random test - everyone walked straight to baggage claim and exit...
Old Jun 26, 20, 2:25 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by Carpacchio View Post
So here is a datapoint: my wife flew from GVA to ATH last week, hence Group A. She said there was no-one who waited on the passengers for a random test - everyone walked straight to baggage claim and exit...
Thanks for the feedback, useful to know!

I will report back on my flight in a day or 8-9 from now as well - as it is a slightly different situation (OTP - ATH, so I have to enter Schengen and go through passport control).
Old Jun 28, 20, 11:31 am

https://www.ekathimerini.com/254158/...-location-form

International travellers will be required to fill in a detailed passenger form specifying the country they came from and the address of their stay during their holiday, as part of the measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus as the country reopens all airports on July 1, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said on Saturday.

The Passenger Locator Form (PLF) will have to be completed online at least 48 hours before entering the country and includes information such as the duration of previous stays in other countries, CAA said in a notice to airmen (NOTAM) issued Sayirday.

The form, as well as details on what foreign travellers can expect arriving from air, sea and land as of July 1 can be found on the link: https://travel.gov.gr

From that website:

• Arrival of passengers at the arrival gate.
  • Transfer to the area where screening personnel are located and check the unique quick response (QR) code each passenger shows on their mobile phone screen or printed QR form.
  • Screening personnel direct passengers, depending on their QR code, either to the screening area or to the exit (baggage claim area or passport control). Until the screening results become available, passengers tested for the new coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 by a trained health team are obliged to self-isolate at the address of their final destination as declared on their passenger locator form (PLF). Upon completion of the screening, they are directed towards the exit.
Old Jun 30, 20, 7:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
Americans banned " until further notice"

It is official. Americans banned from travel to Greece " until further notice". It is an EU decision.

https://greece.greekreporter.com/202...urther-notice/
Old Jun 30, 20, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
It is official. Americans banned from travel to Greece " until further notice". It is an EU decision.

https://greece.greekreporter.com/202...urther-notice/
Yep, pulled the plug on my trip this year. Here's hoping to have a "normal" trip in late May, 2021 with an effective, readily available vaccine available and no need to wear a mask with those things in place
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
Yep, pulled the plug on my trip this year. Here's hoping to have a "normal" trip in late May, 2021 with an effective, readily available vaccine available and no need to wear a mask with those things in place
I hear you....feeling a little less optimistic.....we just this morning canceled our trip for April 2021. I too hope that Greece will be a bit more normal next year, but the group of friends I was going with are all elderly and would have been their first time. I wanted to show them the Greece that I know....and the threat of possibly seeing that Greece behind face masks and plexi-glass was a risk I was not willing to take. Postponing until 2022.
Old Jun 30, 20, 10:46 am

I'm sorry to hear you both had to cancel - I really hope the situation will improve soon in the US, an effective vaccine is found and things get back to normal, so you both can take a Greek holiday at the earliest possible convenience.

My trip is in a week and I have to say I am getting slightly nervous about the whole international trip/possible corona test. A bit weird, as I haven't had such feelings in years and my sole domestic flight in the last months was an absolute non-event and a relaxed affair. I will certainly be happy when I've safely arrived in Athens.

I've heard mixed reports so far from Greek friends about the state on the ground on different islands. One said local life in Chania was quite normal and fairly lively (although tourists are still missing) while another couldn't believe how empty and deserted Zakynthos was. I'm really highly curious how I will enjoy the vibe on different islands on my itinerary.
Old Jun 30, 20, 5:31 pm

...{snip}...I've heard mixed reports so far from Greek friends about the state on the ground on different islands. One said local life in Chania was quite normal and fairly lively (although tourists are still missing) while another couldn't believe how empty and deserted Zakynthos was. I'm really highly curious how I will enjoy the vibe on different islands on my itinerary.
Present life in Crete is very easily described: it's like February (hardly any tourist around), but schools are closed and the weather is warm!
Old Jul 1, 20, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Present life in Crete is very easily described: it's like February (hardly any tourist around), but schools are closed and the weather is warm!
Yes - some student friends are already complaining they are bored and have nothing to do

PS. For our American frequent flyer friends contributing in this topic, there is still a possibility to visit Greece by getting a special permit from the Greek consulate in NY if you do not hold a second European passport. Processing times is however around 40 days - more information (and link to the consulate website) on the website below.

https://greece.greekreporter.com/2020/07/01/who-and-how-can-travel-to-greece-from-the-us/
Old Jul 1, 20, 4:39 am

Yes - some student friends are already complaining they are bored and have nothing to do
...{snip}
Do you mean to say that your student friends previously spent their virus-free summers chasing tourists? Well, starting today they'll be able to do that again!

PS Wearing a mask and keeping a safe distance, of course...
Old Jul 1, 20, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Do you mean to say that your student friends previously spent their virus-free summers chasing tourists? Well, starting today they'll be able to do that again!

PS Wearing a mask and keeping a safe distance, of course...
With "chasing tourists" you are referring to the traditional 'kamaki'?

That was not what I meant to say as these friends are female, unless of course in nowadays emancipated world the gender roles have completely reversed
KLouis likes this.
Old Jul 7, 20, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
Greece has an exception for business travel. Has anyone successfully received an exception? I am asking about legitimate business travel, not trying to skirt the rules.
Old Jul 7, 20, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
With "chasing tourists" you are referring to the traditional 'kamaki'?

That was not what I meant to say as these friends are female, unless of course in nowadays emancipated world the gender roles have completely reversed
There’s a reasonably decent Greek restaurant in Malmo, Sweden, called Kamaki, and it sells — “toast kamaki”. Maybe the story of that open restaurant is the guy got toasted by a Swedish tourist before TUI got in trouble in Greece.
KLouis and Romanianflyer like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: