FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   A week in Switzerland arriving April 16 — can I still go? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/2012278-week-switzerland-arriving-april-16-can-i-still-go.html)

Analise Mar 10, 2020 1:17 pm

A week in Switzerland arriving April 16 — can I still go?

I am to take this trip solo in 5 weeks in which I will be staying in Luzern for all 6 nights and taking day trips by train to the mountains. I have a disability with my back so my plan is to take trains and walk.

My focus will be the Berner Oberland (Schilthorn, First, Mürren, Wengen) and mountains near Luzern including Rigi & Pilatus.

I really want to make this trip. I don’t want coronavirus to stop me. But I also don’t want to be reckless. I’m not planning to go near the Italian border so no Matterhorn or Zermat. I may spend a day in Luzern including glong on a boat on Lake Luzerne to Viznau. That will be part of my trip to Rigi.

Am I being foolish in wanting to go? It is 5 weeks away. I can wait until the last minute regarding changing my plans. I live in NYC and take public transport daily so it isn’t as if I am isolating myself. Not at all. What would any of you do?

UKtravelbear Mar 10, 2020 1:59 pm

I woud have no hesitation in going. I would even visit those places near the Italian Border. Of course i'd be keeping an eye on what is happening in Switzerland and what their health authorities are saying between now and your trip.

I'm off to NYC next week for a week. I have no apprehension about this despite the cases appearing in the NY state. The only concession I will make (unless advised otherwise) will be to wash my hands more regularly than I would normally. Otherwise I'll be doing all the touristy things I want to do.

You'll note I live in Brighton which had an outbreak last month and I'm still here!

Analise Mar 10, 2020 2:39 pm

If you can survive Brighton....😉

You will be fine in NYC. If you put on the local news, you will hear hysteria by both the media and local/state politicians. You will also find crowded subways and buses because we still have to commute. Not everybody telecommutes. Some think that wearing masks will protect them and you’ll see that from time to time on mainly women in their 20s and 30s. Hand sanitizer is difficult if not impossible to find so if use it, bring it from home. I wash my hands all the time too. I also carry hand lotion because of the resulting dry skin from all that hand washing.

I appreciate your saying that you would go to Switzerland. I do really want to go. I can’t allow my exuberance make me reckless which is why I started this thread.

Have a great trip.

rickg523 Mar 10, 2020 3:02 pm

OP are you basically healthy with no significant lung issues? If yes, I'd take the precautions you'd normally take during flu season. If you're in basic good health without respiratory issues, it's my understanding you can catch this virus and barely know it. Which is clearly a problem with a contagious illness and a population in varying states of health. Which is why thousands get really sick and die every flu season but you don't. Other than the fact that it's a novel virus thus there's no immunity built up yet, is it really in effect that different than influenza?

Analise Mar 10, 2020 3:43 pm

I have had type 2 diabetes since 2003 and control my blood sugar with medication. I get a flu shot annually. I did contract a mild case of pneumonia last May and with medication, I was back to health within 5 weeks. I was given the pneumonia vaccine 5 years prior. I never needed to go to the hospital and really only had one bad day.

I haven’t had any respiratory problems since the end of June with that pneumonia.

I feel fine.

VitaliU Mar 11, 2020 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 32166301)
I have had type 2 diabetes since 2003 and control my blood sugar with medication. I get a flu shot annually. I did contract a mild case of pneumonia last May and with medication, I was back to health within 5 weeks. I was given the pneumonia vaccine 5 years prior. I never needed to go to the hospital and really only had one bad day.

I haven’t had any respiratory problems since the end of June with that pneumonia.

I feel fine.

The risk is low but it's there. Only you can answer the question if you are comfortable taking it

LondonElite Mar 11, 2020 7:16 am

I’d not hesitate to go.

KayVeeBee Mar 11, 2020 7:42 am

Nobody knows what the situation will be in April. Italy is currently under lock down. If the current trends continue Switzerland will be where Italy is now in 2 weeks.

JBord Mar 11, 2020 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 32165682)

Am I being foolish in wanting to go? It is 5 weeks away. I can wait until the last minute regarding changing my plans. I live in NYC and take public transport daily so it isn’t as if I am isolating myself. Not at all. What would any of you do?

Only you know your risk tolerance. Personally, I would still go unless it gets significantly worse in Switzerland. I'd be monitoring conditions for the next couple of weeks, and it's good you are able to change plans at the last minute.

Also realize that at some point the decision may not be yours to make. Airlines are reducing flights and canceling some destinations. Some hotels and restaurants may close or have restrictions. As I'm sure you've seen in NY, we are seeing areas quarantined in the US and Italy. You may even find you get there and then aren't able to stick to the itinerary you planned. To me, it's much more about a disruption of the trip than a concern about catching the virus.

I'm guessing it will go the way of SARS and Avian flu, etc. eventually, but doesn't seem like that will be in 5 weeks.

Analise Mar 11, 2020 11:06 am

That’s the thing, I will definitely be following what is happening in Switzerland. Initially I wanted to have a day trip to Bern and one to Zürich to enjoy museums and walk around but I’m not sure if that is a good idea as opposed to spending more time in the mountains.

I haven’t read anything about trains being canceled. There is one rerouting via bus between Interlaken Ost & Wilderswill due to planned construction but that is it.

To save money, I wanted to go to Manor in Luzern for a buffet dinner as it is more economical but I’m not sure that is a good idea.

My biggest fear in all honesty is not being able to return to JFK when I fly home on April 22. Will flights from Switzerland not be allowed to fly into the US? I don’t know how one can predict that before leaving for Zürich a week earlier.

JBord Mar 11, 2020 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 32169498)
That’s the thing, I will definitely be following what is happening in Switzerland. Initially I wanted to have a day trip to Bern and one to Zürich to enjoy museums and walk around but I’m not sure if that is a good idea as opposed to spending more time in the mountains.

I haven’t read anything about trains being canceled. There is one rerouting via bus between Interlaken Ost & Wilderswill due to planned construction but that is it.

To save money, I wanted to go to Manor in Luzern for a buffet dinner as it is more economical but I’m not sure that is a good idea.

My biggest fear in all honesty is not being able to return to JFK when I fly home on April 22. Will flights from Switzerland not be allowed to fly into the US? I don’t know how one can predict that before leaving for Zürich a week earlier.

IMO, you are clearly thinking of this in the right way. The one thing that's becoming more and more clear with this (now) pandemic, is that we can't predict what will happen from day to day. You bring up a good point about getting back into the US. Even if flights are all fine, there's always a chance you'll go into quarantine for a couple weeks. Whether you have work, family, or other obligations, you have to decide if it's a risk you're willing to take. Even if it's small right now, there's some chance that getting back into the country will take longer than normal.

I have an international vacation planned at the end of May. I hope by then most of this is behind us. But the things you've written are exactly what I'm thinking about for that trip. If we haven't turned a corner by then, and things are still getting worse, I'll definitely consider canceling. But I'll wait as long as I can to make that call.

As a side note, I always appreciate your posts in the Europe forum, so I'm hoping for the best and that you'll be able to take and enjoy your trip! Sometimes good wishes help. :)

KLouis Mar 11, 2020 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee (Post 32168714)
Nobody knows what the situation will be in April. Italy is currently under lock down. If the current trends continue Switzerland will be where Italy is now in 2 weeks.

Sorry, but this is a completely un-based statement unless you have direct data and have run your own models. You base your opinion on whatever statement was presented to you by irresponsible newspeople who think that working for a TV station or an internet page qualifies them as experts in public health! I can show you equally irresponsible pieces of news stating that within the next 2-3 weeks, the world-wide situation will ease down dramatically, i.e. the opposite of your claim. :rolleyes:

Analise Mar 11, 2020 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 32170745)
IMO, you are clearly thinking of this in the right way. The one thing that's becoming more and more clear with this (now) pandemic, is that we can't predict what will happen from day to day. You bring up a good point about getting back into the US. Even if flights are all fine, there's always a chance you'll go into quarantine for a couple weeks. Whether you have work, family, or other obligations, you have to decide if it's a risk you're willing to take. Even if it's small right now, there's some chance that getting back into the country will take longer than normal.

I have an international vacation planned at the end of May. I hope by then most of this is behind us. But the things you've written are exactly what I'm thinking about for that trip. If we haven't turned a corner by then, and things are still getting worse, I'll definitely consider canceling. But I'll wait as long as I can to make that call.

As a side note, I always appreciate your posts in the Europe forum, so I'm hoping for the best and that you'll be able to take and enjoy your trip! Sometimes good wishes help. :)

Thank you! You are very kind.

I just learned of the US 30 day ban on all flights from the European continent to the US starting this Friday at midnight which means that on April 13 at the earliest, the ban will be lifted. I am to leave for Zürich on April 15 returning April 22. In theory, I should be fine but theory isn’t reality. The ban could be lifted and then a few days after I arrive in Zürich, the ban could be reinstated and then I could be stuck.

I bought the tickets on Delta in August and if I change my itinerary, the tickets will be valid until September 21 meaning I have to return home by September 21. I will wait as late as possible to make that call. This is a headache as hotels are light years more expensive in September than in mid April. On the bright side, at least I’m not stuck overseas nor have I contracted coronavirus. Always best to look at the big picture.

I hope your vacation is not affected whatsoever by this. I would hope by the end of May with warmer weather, the coronavirus will no longer be a pandemic.

UKtravelbear Mar 11, 2020 10:10 pm

I just thought of you and your trip. It's a real nightmare for millions of people

Am in the midst of cancelling and rebooking my flights and asking the hotel if they will refund or hold a credit for later in the year.

If not I'm hoping my insurance will cover it as I have been prevented from travelling and didn't decide not to travel

JBord Mar 12, 2020 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 32171944)

I just learned of the US 30 day ban on all flights from the European continent to the US starting this Friday at midnight which means that on April 13 at the earliest, the ban will be lifted. I am to leave for Zürich on April 15 returning April 22. In theory, I should be fine but theory isn’t reality. The ban could be lifted and then a few days after I arrive in Zürich, the ban could be reinstated and then I could be stuck.

We all just learned about it! This would make me rethink the trip. Again, not because I'm afraid I'll die from the virus, but due to the fact that I might be severely inconvenienced for an indefinite time. It's a little too close to the trip dates for my comfort. It's totally a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if the ban were to be lengthened.

As I understand it, the ban doesn't apply to Americans returning home, although they would be subject to quarantine (I may be wrong, just what I gleaned quickly last night). But the bigger issue is how airlines will react. Flight schedules will certainly be reduced to the new demand and some airlines may decide to stop flights to the US completely during the ban. I suppose we'll know more by this weekend. If the ban is lengthened, it could certainly impact you.