Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

A week in Switzerland arriving April 16 — can I still go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A week in Switzerland arriving April 16 — can I still go?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:52 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Analise
I am to take this trip solo in 5 weeks in which I will be staying in Luzern for all 6 nights and taking day trips by train to the mountains. I have a disability with my back so my plan is to take trains and walk.

My focus will be the Berner Oberland (Schilthorn, First, Mürren, Wengen) and mountains near Luzern including Rigi & Pilatus.

I really want to make this trip. I don’t want coronavirus to stop me. But I also don’t want to be reckless. I’m not planning to go near the Italian border so no Matterhorn or Zermat. I may spend a day in Luzern including glong on a boat on Lake Luzerne to Viznau. That will be part of my trip to Rigi.

Am I being foolish in wanting to go? It is 5 weeks away. I can wait until the last minute regarding changing my plans. I live in NYC and take public transport daily so it isn’t as if I am isolating myself. Not at all. What would any of you do?
I go to Switz. often, usually booking a Delta Vacation Package (air + hotel), many times the package price is less than airfare alone. I had such a trip booked for 4/7-4/14 which I just cancelled. In light of Trump's travel ban my flights might have been cancelled by DL anyway. Your trip is probably outside the 30 day period, so if things have improved I'd vote GO!
I've taken the Luzern-Vitznau-Rigi Kulm trip many times--spectacular scenery. Two suggestions: (1)on www.sbb.ch/en you can purchase a 1 day saver DAY PASS (you don't need a half-fare card, but it is cheaper if you have one) in either 1st or 2nd class (Vitznau to Rigi is only 2nd class), (2)the DAY PASS gives you the entire country (except expensive mountain trips like Jungfrau) for a fixed price; for the return trip, go Rigi to Arth Goldau, ride from there to Goschenen (via the pre-Tunnel route) the train spirals (in 3 passes) around the Wassen Church--a famous and interesting trip. In any event, even if you do cancel, the Alps will still be there to see on your replacement journey.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I just thought of you and your trip. It's a real nightmare for millions of people

Am in the midst of cancelling and rebooking my flights and asking the hotel if they will refund or hold a credit for later in the year.

If not I'm hoping my insurance will cover it as I have been prevented from travelling and didn't decide not to travel
Good luck! For the first time, the hotel I booked is 100% refundable. I booked through Expedia and the ability to cancel up to a day before arrival was very attractive. I had never done this before; great time to start.

Originally Posted by JBord
We all just learned about it! This would make me rethink the trip. Again, not because I'm afraid I'll die from the virus, but due to the fact that I might be severely inconvenienced for an indefinite time. It's a little too close to the trip dates for my comfort. It's totally a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if the ban were to be lengthened.
I'm hoping it's the opposite but I'll take a look at the expanse of the virus and make a decision one week before my trip. I'm with you about the concern of the unknown regarding travel.

As I understand it, the ban doesn't apply to Americans returning home, although they would be subject to quarantine (I may be wrong, just what I gleaned quickly last night).
As of now, Americans traveling to the US from these Schengen countries during the ban will be asked to to self quarantine. It has not been made mandatory as of now.

But the bigger issue is how airlines will react. Flight schedules will certainly be reduced to the new demand and some airlines may decide to stop flights to the US completely during the ban. I suppose we'll know more by this weekend. If the ban is lengthened, it could certainly impact you.
I don't think flights will be stopped because passenger flights have a substantial amount of cargo transported. I do think they'll be reduced. So if the ban were extended, the dates of one or both of my flights could be cancelled and I'd have to find a seat somehow. I'll wait until April 8, one week before my trip.

Last edited by Analise; Mar 12, 2020 at 2:51 pm
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Analise
I don't think flights will be stopped because passenger flights have a substantial amount of cargo transported. I do think they'll be reduced.
Good point.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Well, the cargo point was good until Delta ended all European flights during the ban. The big 3 US airlines tend to follow one another, and especially follow DL's lead. Let's hope we start to see signs of improvement over the next month.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:39 am

The Swiss government has decided to close all tourist and entertainment venues in the whole country till the end of April. So no mountain railways, no cable cars, no skiing, no museums...
So no point in coming, i‘m afraid.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:55 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KayVeeBee
The Swiss government has decided to close all tourist and entertainment venues in the whole country till the end of April. So no mountain railways, no cable cars, no skiing, no museums...
So no point in coming, i‘m afraid.
Some “mountain” railways, Rigi Bahn for example, Transport not just tourists. Several years ago I rode from Vitznau to Rigi on a weekday at around 3 pm, lots of students were returning to their homes at the end of the school day.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Some “mountain” railways, Rigi Bahn for example, Transport not just tourists. Several years ago I rode from Vitznau to Rigi on a weekday at around 3 pm, lots of students were returning to their homes at the end of the school day.
The Rigi railway has reduced its schedule to the minimum needed to serve the area. On the Arth-Goldau side this means two trips a day...

Elsewhere it is similar. Where a mountain railway has a public transport function this can continue operating. The Wengeralpbahn is still running between Lauterbrunnen and Wengen, but not further.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Given that;

A lot of European airlines are reducing flights by 50%, 75%, 90% in many cases
Many other airlines are suspending routes, reducing frequencies
That a lot of European countries are restricting non-essential travel across borders
That a lot of countries are only allowing citizens & residents to enter
That the USA has travel restrictions on most European countries, including all Schengen countries ( of which Switzerland is one) making return travel difficult at best

Even if Switzerland hasn't done many of these things yet, I would say it if probably just a matter of time. So then I am sorry to say but I very much doubt that your trip will be going ahead and you should plan accordingly.

Even if you were able to travel there, given that so many places are closing temporarily or drastically cutting opening hours. Then tourism at this time would be seriously hindered and you would struggle to have much fun.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I’d not hesitate to go.
I'm going to amend my advice. Given the severe disruption that your trip is going to face (basically everything closed, cut back massively) and the question around getting there and back (capacity is taking a huge cut), this would be about the most unenjoyable vacation ever. And you may end up in quarantine somewhere along the way. Cancel or rebook.
dj_jay_smith and JBord like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith
Given that;

A lot of European airlines are reducing flights by 50%, 75%, 90% in many cases
Many other airlines are suspending routes, reducing frequencies
That a lot of European countries are restricting non-essential travel across borders
That a lot of countries are only allowing citizens & residents to enter
That the USA has travel restrictions on most European countries, including all Schengen countries ( of which Switzerland is one) making return travel difficult at best

Even if Switzerland hasn't done many of these things yet, I would say it if probably just a matter of time. So then I am sorry to say but I very much doubt that your trip will be going ahead and you should plan accordingly.

Even if you were able to travel there, given that so many places are closing temporarily or drastically cutting opening hours. Then tourism at this time would be seriously hindered and you would struggle to have much fun.
As predicted, Switzerland have now implemented strict controls
  • a ban on all private and public events and closing bars, restaurants, sports and cultural spaces until April 19
  • Only Swiss citizens, Swiss residents and people traveling to Switzerland for business are allowed to enter the country.
Source: https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/covid-1...rland/45592192

So I'm afraid travel is now not possible at all.

Edit:
And now confirmed that the EU 26 states + Schengen states (including Switzerland) have closed borders for all non citizens and residents for 30 days.

Last edited by dj_jay_smith; Mar 18, 2020 at 12:31 am
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:08 am
Suspended

To be honest, with the situation that is happening today and how we see the cases of people who have Coronavirus are growing, I would hesitate to go there. I think now, this time is quite sensitive and you can get stuck in a country pretty fast, and that won't be fun or easy (plus it might be pretty expensive). If I were in your position, I would see how much money I would lose if I skipped the trip, and if the costs are not too high, I would skip the trip.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
CH is turning into a real Covid-19 hotspot. With everything closed and healthcare likely to be expensive, probably best to shelve this trip.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith
...{long snip}...And now confirmed that the EU 26 states + Schengen states (including Switzerland) have closed borders for all non-citizens and residents for 30 days.
Well, here are a couple of verified facts that speak not to the contrary but which look at those rules in a different way (Switzerland becoming Mediterranean in enforcement of rules):

* My son went home flying into ZRH from ATH a couple of days ago without any control what so ever.
* A friend of mine went to the market in Annemasse (France) on Sunday (few stands open), bought a chicken, went back to Carouge and the only thing controlled was what he purchased: the customs agents said the chicken was illegal (she eventually let him bring it along).

By the way, the Swiss high court declared restrictions in Ticino to be unconstitutional...
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:41 am

KLouis, I appreciate your post but I had to try to get a young British university student home to Alsace last week. OK so he bought a last minute ticket between LGW and BSL but, like any other non-Swiss passport holder on the flight, was not allowed to board the flight at LGW. The airline flew him to Paris ... and there was a happy ending eventually but with plenty of stress and worry to all parties. Switzerland is not allowing non-Swiss nationals to enter their territory (even at a shared airport like BSL/MLH/EAP).

The French government yesterday has closed all markets of the type you mention.

Your son was (1) lucky and (2) within the law on the day he went shopping .... but would now be unable to do so.

Switzerland has closed its borders. My department (68) has had its quarantine period extended - and we started a week ahead of the rest of France. PLEASE DO NOT TRAVEL HERE at present for your own health, wealth and peace of mind.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Alsacienne
KLouis, I appreciate your post but I had to try to get a young British university student home to Alsace last week. OK so he bought a last minute ticket between LGW and BSL but, like any other non-Swiss passport holder on the flight, was not allowed to board the flight at LGW. The airline flew him to Paris ... and there was a happy ending eventually but with plenty of stress and worry to all parties. Switzerland is not allowing non-Swiss nationals to enter their territory (even at a shared airport like BSL/MLH/EAP).
That is odd, since BSL is on France, not in Switzerland. Unless you take the Swiss exit you never enter Switzerland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.